Answering Machine (At the Sound of the Tone)

Answering Machine (At the Sound of the Tone)

A Poem by Christina May Shanaberg
"

Just writing down what we have to live with everyday; it drives me crazy!

"

ANSWERING MACHINE

(AT THE SOUND OF THE TONE)

 

"All of our operators are busy, right now;"

          Yeah, right, you don't even have any operators;

"If you know the extension of the party you wish to talk to, please, dial it now;"

          How would I know anyone's extension;

"Please, listen to the following message carefully, because our menu options have changed;"

          Why would I care that they changed;

          I don't know what they were before;

"If you wish to pay with a debit or credit card, please, dial one now;"

          You aren't getting a dime out of me, until I talk to someone;

"If you wish to check the balance due on your account, please, dial two now;"

          That's why I am calling, the balance is wrong now;

"If you wish to change the name or other information on the account, please, dial three now;"

          First off, I can't "dial" anything; I have a push-button phone;

"If you wish to make additions to your account, please, dial four now;

          No thanks; you are having a problem with what I have already;

"If you would like information regarding our services, please, dial five now;"

          I don't want any more damn services;

"If you wish to report an outage or a problem with your service, please, dial six now;"

          Oh, for God's sake;

"If you have a suggestion of how we might improve our service, please, dial seven now;"

          I suggest that you answer the phone;

"If you would like our location and business hours, please, dial eight now;"

          Yes, I could have driven there and been back home, by now;

"If you wish to suspend or cancel your service, please, dial nine now;"

          Your running out of numbers, you know;

"All other callers, please, stay on the line and your call will be answered in the order it was received;"

          Let me see, now, did any of those numbers apply to me;

 

BACH

 

"Thank you for your patience, while holding, one of our representatives will be with you, shortly"

          O'kay, I am putting down the phone and running to the toilet;

 

RACHMANINOFF

 

"To better serve you, please, select from the following menu options;"

          You got to be kidding me;

"If you would like to speak with a representative whom just starting working here today, please, dial one now;"

"If you would like to speak with a representative whom has been here since we opened and still doesn't have a clue, please, dial two now;"

"If you would like to speak with a representative that has such a heavy foreign accent that you can't understand them, please, dial three now;"

"If you would like to speak with a representative that is a disgruntled employee, please, dial four now;"

"If you would like to speak to our janitor, please, dial five now;"

"If you would like to speak with a representative who can not spell the name of our company, please, dial six now;"

"If you would like to speak with a representative whom is not in and leave a message, please, dial seven now;"

"If you would like to speak with a representative who used to work here and we forgot to turn their extension off, please, dial eight now;"

"If you would like to speak to the bum who came in to get warm, please, dial nine now;"

"All other callers, please, dial zero now and our operator will assist you;"

 

DIAL 0

 

          Alright, I think I might really be getting somewhere, now;

 

MOZART

 

"Customer Service; how may I assist you;"

          Customer Service?

          "I thought this was the operator's number; are you the

           operator?"

"No, Sir, this is Customer Service.  We do not have an operator, per se;"

          "You mean to tell me that I waited all this time and, finally,

          chose the operator and you don't have one;"

"Let me transfer you to the Complaint Department, sir;"

 

KENNY G?!

 

"You have reached the Complaint Department.  To better serve you, at the sound of the tone, please leave your name, telephone number, and the nature of your complaint; your call will be returned within three to five business days;"

 

TONE

 

          "At the sound of the tone, I hope your answering machine

          exploded;"

 

DIAL TONE

 

DIALING

 

          I can't wait to tell Mom about this;

 

RINGING

 

"You have reached your mother, at the sound of the tone. . .

 

DIAL TONE

 

Runner up

Aug 11, 2011

 

 

 

 

© 2011 Christina May Shanaberg


Author's Note

Christina May Shanaberg
Written for my mother whom, recently, lost her job as an operator to an answering machine.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I greatly enjoyed this Christina. It makes me think of how through the extension of technology we lose a part of our humanity. Ever read/heard of "The Idiot" By Dostoyevsky?, in it there is a scene where a character(Some guy with typical long hard to prounouce russian name) gives his interpretation of the apocalypse. He says that as society advances and becomes industrialized then we will all begin to lose touch with each other in ways because technology will do all the work humans once had to work together to do and as time went on we will be seperate and indifferent to each other. Looking at things today with that perspective it doesn't seem far from the truth. Kudos:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This was appreciatively EVIL...LOL

Well done!
Chris

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is excellent love! A powerful write! Tecnology shall be the demise of a lot of jobs! Scary really!
Great work
xx

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I greatly enjoyed this Christina. It makes me think of how through the extension of technology we lose a part of our humanity. Ever read/heard of "The Idiot" By Dostoyevsky?, in it there is a scene where a character(Some guy with typical long hard to prounouce russian name) gives his interpretation of the apocalypse. He says that as society advances and becomes industrialized then we will all begin to lose touch with each other in ways because technology will do all the work humans once had to work together to do and as time went on we will be seperate and indifferent to each other. Looking at things today with that perspective it doesn't seem far from the truth. Kudos:)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was made laugh. It is so frustration to go through and you captured that with humor. nicely done...

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very frustrating. This is a cool humorous write. Nicely done!

Ghost (Eric Cox)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LOL!!! and AMEN! Ain't that the absolute and maddening truth?! Hope your mom is able to soon find another job, though. Very clever. Loved it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Every car has to have air bags, every phone should have a "Just answer the stupid phone" button. By the way, I recently contacted the US Government Social Security office and they had the best automated phone system I ever used. Too bad we are about to wreck it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OMG this was hilarious!!! This is exactly what it feels like.
""If you would like to speak with a representative that has such a heavy foreign accent that you can't understand them, please, dial three now;"

"If you would like to speak with a representative that is a disgruntled employee, please, dial four now;"

"If you would like to speak to our janitor, please, dial five now;""

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! you get 100 for this :D


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

too damn true to be funny. Thats why I use E mail

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

971 Views
20 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 28, 2010
Last Updated on August 19, 2011
Tags: Telephone, Communication

Author

Christina May Shanaberg
Christina May Shanaberg

Mount Vernon, OH



About
I am a former member of North Shore Writers' Guild in Willoughby OH. I have had numerous poems published and letters. I am, currently, working on a screen play that I hope will interest my cousin-in.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Smiles Smiles

A Poem by Tate Morgan