A Big Prayer for A Little Rain

A Big Prayer for A Little Rain

A Story by Christina May Shanaberg
"

This is a true story about my oldest daughter, Charisma Suzanne (Shanaberg) Sullivan!

"

A BIG PRAYER FOR A LITTLE RAIN

 

When my children were young, we were camping, whenever we could.  Sticks and rocks became something different, in this outdoorsy world.  The sticks became swords and all sorts of toys.  There was, even, fighting over the sticks; like the woods were not full of them.  There is no corner in the woods, so "time out" was taken standing on a flat rock with the nose facing the tree.

 

One summer, there was a terrible drought.  The bees were going crazy.  It was miserable to be outside.  The kids would dry off from swimming and be suffering from the heat, again, within the short distance between the lake and our tents.

 

My oldest daughter, Chari, said, "I wish it would rain."

 

We had a screen-tent, where we would sit, out of the sun, and eat.  Just outside of the front door of the screen-tent was a flat rock, about the size of a floor tile and an inch thick, that had a zip-lock bag under it for messages, when we were out.

 

I told Chari that that rock was a "prayer rock" and, if she really believed, she could stand on it and pray for rain.

 

She stood on the rock, with her hands clasped together, in prayer, and her eyes closed, chanting a repetitive prayer for rain.  I was praying, in my heart, that by some miracle, something would happen.  But, I knew that we were having a drought.

 

Nothing appeared to have happened, but suddenly, Chari began jumping around, shouting, and pointing at the "prayer rock."

 

When I went to look, there were no less than a dozen small drops of moisture on that rock.  I don't know whether it was "bird pee" or some tiny sputter of rain, but there it was; a miracle!

© 2010 Christina May Shanaberg


Author's Note

Christina May Shanaberg
She has never forgotten that day and that her prayer "was" answered.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Since birds do not pee (all thier body fluid comes out when they defecate) it could not have been that. But it may have been water from a swim or perspiration from your daughter; at any rate, it is nice to believe our prayers are heard and answered. This made me smile. It's a quaint and charming story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

great story! ( and maybe it did kinda rain)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dear Christina,

I have to agree with my good friend Fabian. A delightful story. Probably sweat, tears, or left over moisture from a swim. But who cares. The effect was wonderful and it excited your daughter.

My very best regards,

Rick

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I prefer to believe that they were angel tears. (lol) Nice sentiment and great story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kids are real clever and devious - i reckon she cheated.

Charming story again. If only we could retain that innocent spark that captured our imaginations so easily when we were children. Alas....

PS. Charisma?????? that's a HELL of a name!!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a cool memory for your daughter and you captured it perfectly. Its those little miracles that make us smile and keep us going.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

We should all learn to believe again. I am not usually a beleiver of miracles, but I do know that if we truly believe, wondrous things can happen.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Children are so much more faithful then we adults are.


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

How cute. Nicely written story.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

nice story Christine. We should all take time to stand on a rock and pray more often.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1275 Views
28 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 11, 2010
Last Updated on May 13, 2010
Tags: Prayer, Belief, Faith

Author

Christina May Shanaberg
Christina May Shanaberg

Mount Vernon, OH



About
I am a former member of North Shore Writers' Guild in Willoughby OH. I have had numerous poems published and letters. I am, currently, working on a screen play that I hope will interest my cousin-in.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mercy Mercy

A Story by Coyote Poetry