Sanctuary

Sanctuary

A Poem by Christina May Shanaberg
"

I love the place where I go, sometimes, even if it is only in my mind!

"

SANCTUARY

 

Very few people have understood me,

So, my beliefs remain my own;

My thoughts must stay free

And I require a place to be alone;

     Many never find their own spot,

     There to wander among silent minds;

     Most can, only, see the junk they have got

     And have no time to reflect on quiet times;

Beyond the trees and bushes,

Across the painted fields of flowers,

By where the winding creek rushes,

I spend the peaceful, restful hours

     That one requires to evaluate

     The torturing episodes of yesterday;

     My opinions rule, without debate;

     All the heavy burdens fly away;

Here, among the voices of memories

And the sculpture of ageless nature,

I am not surrounded by mysteries,

But engulfed in what is simple and pure;

     Selfish; no, anyone may join in;

     Just find your own sanctuary

     And, then, you can begin

     To, fully, use each special day,

By learning what you are inside,

As you speak to your heartbeat;

It is a true sin to hide

From the dreams, at this retreat.

 

 

© 2010 Christina May Shanaberg


Author's Note

Christina May Shanaberg
Please, share with me, in your reviews, about your sanctuary!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Excellent write about your santuary...Which for me from time to time can be a close of eyes and think of that place...Here of late I have found that when truly stressed and needing a moment of peace ...I close my eyes and let my inner child crawl onto Jesus' lap and just rest there briefly...Keep your gifted pen flowing...Sunflower..

Posted 13 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very good write. It almost reminds me of the " Bridge to Terabithia" Book.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

absolutley remarkable peice, i have my own sactuary and I love it here.. Great write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I have two santuaries; Pine Creek Valley, Pennsylvania (though I have not
been there in years!) and my lover (he is my oasis of serenity).

Up in the mountains, late at night is the most peaceful of times where
thoughts are free with only wildlife to keep me company; and a warm fire.
With marshmellows. hahaha

Lovely, Just lovely

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
pam
I loved your poem. "All the heavy burdens fly away" has so much meaning. Enjoy your sanctuary.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a very beautiful piece. It sounds like a beautiful place to be. I love being in my spot as well. In front of my window I have a wooded area in my back yard. There is a walkway that opens up where the trees canopy into a path. It is very shady with a hint of sunlight that streaks in leaving it's rays. I am hoping to build a writing shelter there soon.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow, stunning way with words and rhyme, I agree, most people can relate to the meaning, a sancuary, and writers finding sancuary in words.
keep up the amazing work :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was cool and I think it relates to everyone on this site.
My sanctuary would be the library at my church. It's small and no one ever goes in it but me. lol
I just put some tunes on and travel to my own world, where anything can happen.
Cool poem


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a wonderful poem with good rhyme and flow. I like the inverted sentence:

"Beyond the trees and bushes,
Across the painted fields of flowers,
By where the winding creek rushes,
I spend the peaceful, restful hours ...

As I read it I could picture the spot in my mind before you finished the sentence. My sanctuary was a big rock overlooking the ocean, where I could sit and reflect. Now that I I can't climb out on it any more I closs my eyes and let my mind take me there.

This is a delightful poem ! Thanks for sharing it.


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

My sanctuary is not a place in the manifested world, but deep within myself, and all organisms in existence. The ever present 'one life' beyond the myriad forms that are subject to birth and death. The 'inner body,' as it is sometimes called, is the only place were true inner peace can be felt. In every day life I keep a connection with it, for it is the only way to fully appreciate all the things that matter: Beauty, Love, Wonder, and Creativity.
This may sound very bizarre, but that's my sanctuary from mind.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I relate a lot to this poem...and hence i like it a lot...many a times i have always seeked my own sanctuary and very true it can be a very quiet place out of the chaos of our world...our like a cache that no one is aware of....but the most pristine of all is the sanctuary of our minds that lies coveted in our mind...we just have to reach within ....deep in our soul there is an inner strength that only we can find alone...
You have written this well there is a lot of clarity with your theme and the reader can relate very well.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

830 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 12, 2010
Last Updated on May 12, 2010
Tags: Sanctuary, Peace

Author

Christina May Shanaberg
Christina May Shanaberg

Mount Vernon, OH



About
I am a former member of North Shore Writers' Guild in Willoughby OH. I have had numerous poems published and letters. I am, currently, working on a screen play that I hope will interest my cousin-in.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..