It's All About Oil

It's All About Oil

A Poem by Christina May Shanaberg
"

The root of world politics; we knew it was coming and did nothing!

"

IT'S ALL ABOUT OIL

 

We are having trouble,

Making sense of our world;

Are we seeing double

Or are we looking through oil?

 

My children are obese

And blaming me for that;

Every time I sneeze,

I blame OPEC and Yessir Arafat.

 

We are having trouble

Finding an alternative way;

We've been living in a bubble

Of what "oil glut" politicians say.

 

Can we, even, see the truth,

Before freedom is taken away;

We've been users, through youth;

Now, our oil has been taken away.

 

We, "baby boomers," missed

The most dangerous drug of all;

The one our politicians pissed,

While standing at the presidental stall.

 

We may have become

Potatoes on the NFL couch;

However, we were the hum

To tell about Vietnam's ouch.

 

We can change the earth,

Like we wanted to do, then,

We may be older, since birth,

But we are the "baby boomer" men.

© 2011 Christina May Shanaberg


Author's Note

Christina May Shanaberg
This poem came to me, after discussions with Luke Prater, of this web-site. Thank you for the inspiration, Luke!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your poem is hard-hitting in it's truths and is well written. The graphic reminded me of the Kuwait refineries burning as we completed the mission in '90/'91. There isn't a man alive can tell me that war wasn't about oil.
It's about four years now since I bought a smaller model car and last year I got a new one ... which is more efficient in use. To top of my personal effort in view of wasted energy I cycle to and from the railway station, 6 miles a day when going to work.
It's such a pity nobody wants to hear the voice of reason. Well written.


Posted 12 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

So APPROPRIATE! Our politicians are ALL about greed. If a country has problems and oil, too, hey, we're THERE, man! No oil and your people are being killed left and right? We look the other way, but we're so sorry for your plight!
This kind of writing gts people thinking and talking!

Posted 12 Years Ago


Profound and accurate, I liked the direct and hard hitting narration!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So true but it made me smile at all of the world's stupidity..There is enough for all but we are too selfish to share..Yet...we can't go back to the horse and buggy can we...we might have to take along poo bags so the neighbors would not complain..Valentine

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Use less the "Price" is raised, use MORE the "Price" is raised... use anything else - the "Price" is raised... and I didn't say money - once.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

My Dear Writing Friend,
You have painted a graphic word mosaic that shines a light in our bed, we and our adulteress love affair with oil. I strive to live using very little oil and have found that olive oil and seal oil will keep my oil lamps burning through the dark of winter. As you know from my poem “I Prefer The Old Ways” which you recently shared your thoughts on I live a simple life with out much of this modern worlds trappings.
Your poem gave me much to muse, and the musing gave birth to a new poem I just posted titled “What If We Launched A War”. Thank you for saying it like it is, you my friend have clarity of sight to see the obvious, and then the gift of painting a word picture that delivers a message most do not want to hear. I just hope it will not fall on deaf ears and blind eyes, those whom choose to be blind and deaf.
I am sorry it has taken so long to post my musing, I have been away in the Bush.

Blessings, Laughing-Bear



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great work! Keep on penning!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so true. You have done a great job writing this. Well done.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent choice of title for an excellent poem...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, love this and would love to show this to my mom. Great piece of work, thank you for sharing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great poem

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1140 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 18, 2011
Last Updated on August 18, 2011
Tags: Oil, Government, War, Natural Resources

Author

Christina May Shanaberg
Christina May Shanaberg

Mount Vernon, OH



About
I am a former member of North Shore Writers' Guild in Willoughby OH. I have had numerous poems published and letters. I am, currently, working on a screen play that I hope will interest my cousin-in.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..