Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by Church
"

A blast from the past will always have a bigger effect than you can imagine.

"

I jumped as something slammed. My vision blurry, I hurriedly looked around. Just what the hell? After a few moments, my vision began to sharpen and I sighed. So that’s what it was.


“Miss Mullens.” I rubbed a hand across my cheek. Jesus I needed to shave.


She shifted her weight, her hands on her hips. “You feel asleep again.”


“So I did.” I ran a hand through my hair before I looked down at my desk. I grinned. “Hey, at least I cleaned a spot for myself this time.”


Miss Mullens cocked her hips out in the way women do. I sighed before straightening my tie. 


Shaking her head, she began to pick up papers that had been tossed to the floor. I stood up and turned to the window. It was day light. It had snuck up on me. The clouds from last night’s rain still hid the sun. I pulled out my watch. It needed wound. I pushed it back into my pocket and tried to straighten my shirt up. “Miss Mullens, do you happen to have the time?” 


I turned and the picture Amelia had delivered last night was sitting up right on my desk. “Is she the one?”


I paused, then pulled a cigarette out of my front pocket. I put it in my mouth, ignoring that it was slightly crushed. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”


She tossed the lighter at me. I caught it and flicked it open and lit it in one motion. Bringing it to my lips, I sucked in. “Is this the girl?”


A long drag. “You’re going to have to be more specific.”


She sighed and shook her head. She laid the frame back down, hiding the picture. “Did you take the case?”


I turned towards the window and stared. I let the cigarette hang limply from my mouth. “I told her I’d take a look at it.”


Papers ruffled across my desk. Miss Mullens clicked her tongue. “You haven’t even opened it yet.” I continued to stare out the window. 


“Just sleep in a bed tonight.”


“Of course I will.”


“Your bed.”


“Always a pleasure Miss Mullens.”


I let the door slam before I turned around. Taking another drag, I walked over to a mirror near the door. The circles under my eyes were darker than usual. I ran a hand through my hair, trying to get it to sit in something that would approach a civil manner. When it protested, I moved on to my shirt and tried to pull on it a few times to fix the wrinkles. Giving up, I looked at the reflection once more and blew smoke at it before walking back to my desk. 


I grabbed the envelop. Sitting down, I turned it over and looked at the seal. It was wax, an old symbol etched into it. I shook my head. She was so old fashioned. Sliding my thumb under it, I broke the seal. Pulling out the papers, I leaned back in my chair and started to read.


The papers smelled of her perfume. Taking a deep drag, I blew the smoke out of my nose. I could still smell her. I shook my head, going through the cigarette relatively quickly. Without looking away from the papers, I smashed cigarette into the ash tray. I pulled out another one and lit it with the lighter.


There wasn’t much to go on. A picture. A description. General information. I turned to the last page. I frowned and reread the page. Letting the chair hit the floor, I picked up the phone on my desk and nestled the receiver against my shoulder. Using my free hand, I dialed. 


I waited as the phone rang, the cigarette hanging limp in my mouth. I read over the last page for a third time. Then a fourth. 


“Hello?” Finally.


“What aren’t you telling me.”


There was a light chuckle. “Business business with you..”


My hand tightened around the page. “I don’t have time for this. What aren’t you telling me.”


She paused. “Mal, I don’t know what you’re talking about.”


I slammed the paper on the desk. My ash tray jumped. “Don’t give me that. I don’t run a protection agency. Either tell me what is going on or hire someone else.”


Another pause. “I didn’t want to worry you.”


“You know that doesn’t fly with me.”


“I know. I was just hoping you could go without asking for once.”


I took a drag. “You should know better by now.”


“He’s an ex. There was a nasty break up. I think he’s stalking me and I’m scared. I wanted your help in figuring out if he was and I thought.. maybe...” 


“You thought I could scare him off.” I blew the smoke through my nose again.


“No! Well.. I was hoping you could persuade him not to.” She sighed. 


I grabbed the receiver. “You always had a way with the boys, didn’t you?”


I could hear her smile over the phone. “Oh honey, does this mean you’ll take the case?”


“I never said that.” D****t I needed a drink.


“Everything you need is in the envelope. He doesn’t know about you, so you should be fine. Just do what you always do. And thank you.”


I shook my head and touched my forehead. “No one ever knew about us.”


“Oh Mal, don’t start that now. Besides, once you do this, we can talk about your payment. I know I still owe you one. Don’t think I would forget.”


Ash from the cigarette hit the desk. “And don’t think I would let you forget.”


I could hear her smile through the phone again. “I know you wouldn’t. Thank you Mal. I hope to hear from you soon.” There was a click and then nothing.


I hung up the phone but kept my head down, the ash from my cigarette falling on my desk. After a few minutes I shook my head, forcing the smoke out through my nose. Sitting up, I reached for the bottle of bourbon.


Looking back at the picture, I frowned. A stalking case. This was small. This was beneath me. I had helped the police at times. That was a while ago, but it had still happened. I was better than this.


Extinguishing the cigarette, I touched the glass of bourbon. It was still warm to the touch. Taking a deep breath, I could still smell her. Clenching my fist, I drank the bourbon as quickly as I could.



© 2011 Church


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

347 Views
Added on July 5, 2011
Last Updated on July 5, 2011
Tags: noir, detective, mystery, first person, smoking, Amelia, Mal, private eye


Author

Church
Church

NC



About
19/Male more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Church


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Church


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by Church