Born Again

Born Again

A Story by Jacob Clifford

Born Again

 

The only thing she felt was darkness, down to her core. Not only the sense of fear and unknown associated with darkness but tangible darkness itself. Had she ever known anything else? She couldn’t recall. It was this way for time immeasurable. Then came a blink, a flash of life in the blackness.

            Something tugged at her, stirring the shroud around her. She was lifted, forced to rise from her tomb, the darkness peeling off of her like layers of skin. Instead of being the shadows, she was surrounded by them.

            Now within herself, she felt small and cold. Smooth fabric spread out beneath her fingers. Hard narrow walls surrounded her. She was boxed in with little room to live. Her gaping mouth could draw in no air. Her ears perked up, trying to pinpoint the distant whispering. It spoke to her. She realized now it had always been speaking but, at it told her, she hadn't been worthy until now. It told her everything it couldn't before, and it was almost too much; her lungs were on fire, and her senses were growing fuzzy. A casket was no place for a living body.

            The voice filled her. It wanted her. It needed her. And who was she to refuse? It spoke from no direction, coming from nowhere yet everywhere. It knew she couldn’t decline its plea. It knew that she knew. And it was willing to exploit her - not that it had need. She didn’t know who she was, but she knew she existed for Him and Him alone.

            The box opened, letting in dull moonlight. Her lungs filled with the fresh air of night. She had been granted permission to leave her wooden prison, but she knew she could never escape His watchful eye. In life, she was young and free. She had known no master. Now she knew the illusion her life had truly been. He held the leash, and she followed obediently.

            Slowly she - the spectre - climbed from the box. Her form was foreign and unresponsive. She felt no gravity pulling on her as she tenderly lowered herself to the ground. The grass withered beneath her soundless feet. She didn’t take steps so much as her feet materialized just before her. She let instinct guide her through the familiar yet unknown environment. She paused several times before the headstones, her eyes straining, but the sun's light had not yet come. The stories and identities the stones told were lost to her.

            It wasn’t until (after much aimless wandering) she stepped foot inside the rows of buildings that she knew any goal. It was there that she saw him. He, the reckless youth who, with his mechanical steed, forced her from his world. He, who so carelessly stole what was hers. He who did naught but waste the gift of which she had so frivolously been deprived. He stood there, not a city block away. The spectre boiled at the sight.

            A deep longing settled in what substituted for her chest. It drove her forward, at speeds greater than the most arrogant of the living could hope to match. She cut through the crisp air, nothing but a phantom. He turned, uncertainty plain on his face. His eyes stared in her direction, but she couldn’t be detected by his paltry senses. He knew nothing of his danger, of how close his end was.

            Her nails drove deep. Scarlett tongues splashed her, graciously filling her gaping maw. Her very essence shuddered with pleasure. A long and involuntary hissing moan emanated from her dripping lips. With a flick of her wrist, she separated his head from his body. A terrible wrong had been righted. Justice had been served.

            The gravity of the mortal world now pulled on her. Her legs became solid beneath her. A heavy pit formed in her chest, squeezed by brittle bones. Translucent lashes of golden brown cascaded down her head and past her shoulders, straight as could be.

            She heard a whisper, and she followed it to the most prominent structure in the small town. The building was no doubt grand to those unwise to the truth, to the residents of this foolish plane: those who valued status and frivolous things over necessity and comfort. But she knew the truth. The needless vanity meant nothing to her. Her heart burned inside her. The stolen blood pounded in her ears. She twitched her fingers, trying to make a fist but struggling with the motion. No matter.

            The front door did nothing to hinder her progress. It took her mere moment to reduce it to shambles lying on the groomed lawn. Her body trembled as she stepped through the doorframe.

Involuntarily, her head bent back, and again came a low ghastly wail, echoing throughout the house. Had the inhabitants not been so blind to their senses, they might have heard it. As they were, they couldn't have had the slightest inkling anything was amiss.

            She climbed the stairs, her feet making only the slightest impact on the carpeted faces. Her breath left her when she came to face the door. That door. The one with that lock. (A memory from a previous age returned to her: "Never go in here. Off limits.") She placed her hands against its smooth surface. She exhaled, and the temperature in the hall dropped. She pushed. The door didn’t budge. This was no ordinary door; nothing born of this world could withstand her force. Something was interfering, supporting the door and blocking her might. She would not let this blasphemy stand. Had she the full body of a human, opening the door would have been simple. But in this form, her body could not pass. She would have to sate herself further

            Her voice might not have been detectable to the pitiful mortals, but even they couldn’t avoid the frantic scratching and rattling of the gilded doorknob. Within moments, the four members of the house were at the locked door, whispering amongst themselves and sharing foolish words of safety. She felt immeasurable glee well inside her as she swung her arm through the neck of the jealous one whom she once craddled in her arms. Maybe now he would know his place and show due respect to the eldest child. His life water sprayed his parents, who stood in open-mouthed shock. The young sister, her body just starting to mature, shrieked. She, The Young one, the Favorite. She who never needed to lift a finger to get want she wanted. The girl who knew nothing of hardship or pain.

            With sinister abandon, the spectre lapped the blood from the walls, ecstasy sending chills down her spine. Mortal pain racked her as tissue and marrow were bound around her wisp of a body. She growled in agony.

            Then they saw her. Oh yes, at long last, they saw her: the forgotten daughter, the firstborn. The one who had been taken prematurely. The one whose potential was never seen. They saw, and they would soon know the pain brought by the scorn of blood. They would soon understand what they failed to cherish.

            A wicked grin grew on her face. She took one step forward and watched with glee as they fearfully backed away. Another step forward, another step away. Again. The man’s eyes locked with hers. He could not have fathomed the depth of her wrath, but he would feel it soon enough.

            One moment. That’s all it took for the ones who gave her life to be acquainted with Death. This much was only fair. After all, she was already familiar with it. It had forced himself upon her and had its way with her. Why should those who failed her not experience the same?

That left only the little one standing in shock, her beautiful, petite features indiscernible behind the crimson that dripped down her face. She looked up. Her eyes were filled such pure, distilled, delicious terror. Her lips quivered. A shaky whisper barely escaped. “Lauren?”

            The young girl's eyes widened as a hole was punched into her chest. She looked down with only mild, incomprehensive surprise before falling. The girl’s supple body scarcely made a noise as it hit the floor.

            The spectre knelt down, pressed her thickening lips to the girl's ribs, and drank deeply. A wave of pure elation nearly swept her off her feet. She stiffly rose, burdened by the meat and muscle that now clung to her. She brought her hand level to her eyes. She closed it, made a slight turning motion, one that could open a door. She smiled.

            Every moment brought her greater and greater control of her new form as the mortals' blood made its way through her system. Her memories returned and became clear. Her body thickened. She had the slender frame she kept while alive, but even this body felt monumental compared to the ethereal one she had just moments ago. She spared a passing glance at the bodies littering the hall. Her head buzzed deafeningly. The already dim light in the hall spilled out, wetting her face and blanketing her sight with meaningless blurs. She blinked twice and rubbed her eyes. Not now.

            She looked back at the door. Just a few minutes ago it seemed so impenetrable. But now, it appeared just as it was: a simple slab of oak. She wrapped her hand around the knob and pulled. She met no resistance. Her heart skipped a beat when she saw the vase in the middle of the room, atop a decorative desk. This was it. This was why she was here, why He sent her - she could feel it.

            The spectre took one step forward and hit a wall where the door formerly was. It wasn’t physically there, of course. She may have been almost human now, but she was still too much of a spirit. She couldn’t get close to the vase; it held her grandfather’s ashes and had been blessed by his "business associate". She'd been too stupid as a mortal girl to realize what had happened, but she knew now. Her spectre would not be able to get close. Her meat-and-bone body would need to be complete before she could get close to it. With the blood rushing through her, it was only a matter of time before her earthly tether grew stronger and she could pass to anyone as alive.

            She closed her eyes, feeling the blood of her blood course through her veins. Years of a childhood long since forgotten came flooding back: endless smiling faces, laughter, birthday cakes and candles, a first kiss, her sister's soccer games, the accident that ended her own life. Her throat tightened, her heart racing and eyes stinging. She chided herself; she would never have stood for such weakness and emotion mere minutes ago. There was no time for such pointless things.

            Taking a hesitant breath. Lauren took one step forward. Nothing. No barrier, no difficulty. Just a doorframe. She had half a mind to smile at the progress. It disgusted her to wear the skin of mortals and feel their petty emotions, but she had no choice. She had to make the sacrifice to serve her mission.

            The creaking of the floorboards beneath her feet gave her a start. She tightened her jaw as she closed the rest of the distance. Holding back her trepidation, she hefted the vase, held it close to her ear, and shook it. Oh, how interesting. There was more to this vase than could be understood by the human mind, but she felt it just fine using what remained of her otherworldly senses. She laughed once, without humor. The poor fool. He had been stuck inside this thing since the funeral, floating aimlessly through the limbo, hadn’t he? He had gone through a lot of trouble to free himself. She didn’t understand how he had managed to retrieve her soul, but it didn’t really matter. She was here and one step away from being done. She could rest in peace after. The thought sent a chill down her spine. She swallowed.

She smashed the vase on the floor. She didn’t know what she expected, but what happened wasn’t it. The vase broke. There was no great commotion. It simply shattered. The ashes scattered around the carpeted floor, stirring up a fine layer of dust. She was almost disappointed. But then something more happened.

            The ash and dust amalgamated just before her, forming a silhouette. Icy hands gripped her heart. Pitiful, disgusting fear overwhelmed her. Stupidly, she felt regret, not toward freeing Him but for what she'd done to her family.

The voice returned. It said no words - what use did it have for such artificial things? - but she heard the message clearly: her work was done here. The dust dispersed with a strong gust, blowing back the hair that she used to be so proud of. A puff of air escaped her lips as her body went limp and fell to the floor in a heap.

            Part of herself was heartbroken. Why had she been given life just to have it pulled away after so short a time?  Her grandfather had never been a kind man, but this was nothing short of cruel.

            A single tear streaked down her face as her essence was forcefully ripped from her mortal coil. She slowly began to fade. Her last thought was of her family. Everything that happened this night . . . it was all her fault. She was a monster.

© 2019 Jacob Clifford


Author's Note

Jacob Clifford
Thank you for reading! This is the first "real" short story I've written in a while, and I wanted to give it far attention. Now tell me ... What do you guys think? Any suggestions? Opinions? Hate comments? I would like to read it all!

Awarded 3rd place in the "Create a Horror Story!" contest.

Awarded 3rd place in the "Scare a Horror Author" contest.

Awarded "Lovely Darkness" in the "Lovely Darkness" contest.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A hauntingly beautiful, scary and imaginative piece. I always enjoy a horror story from the perspective of the monster. However... I can't believe that she was willing to sacrifice those she loved so that she could 'live again'. That her grandfather was a necromancer who cast a spell upon her that she could not resist is one thing but then all of her thoughts seemed to be about revenge - in other words she hated her family; but why? It was an accident that killed her, not her family. All I'm saying is that I don't buy her motivation. But, as I said, this is powerfully written and I enjoyed it greatly - perhaps the problem is that I don't believe in evil?

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

6 Years Ago

You raise a very good point. On the surface, it does seem like she wouldn't have a reason to feel ve.. read more



Reviews

Great descriptive detail throughout. Each instant is disceted and illuminated.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading.
It took me while to get into the story. The beginning is way too vague in my opinion, although I understand what you were going for. Still, the atmosphere can be felt throughout the whole thing, from beginning till the very end. This story reads like a hissing whisper in a chilling air full of hate (at least for me). Great job with the journey from the spiritual form to the physical one, I really like that. The ending was just great! I like how you returned to the earlier ideas. There were a couple of typos (sorry, but I'm too lazy to look for them, anyway, I personally didn't mind them at all, it's nothing unusual) Overall, great job! And thanks for sharing this awesome, grim story with us!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I can certainly see what you mean about the beginning. That was something I fel.. read more
This was very good. The language and imagery you use is very evocative and effective at drawing you in and immersing you in the story. I also like how you withhold just enough information to keep readers curious, feeding them just a little at a time, drawing them in with clues and letting them infer the rest.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked it! Suspense is always a very important element. Thank your for reading.
Scheherazade

8 Years Ago

You're welcome.
What a luscious piece of writing! The imagery you have created with the apt choice of words, has created a crescendo of drama, suspense, one which is hinged on the idea of sepulchral revenge. And, much like a well-written poetry, the denouement to your short story has a sense of closure, a befitting idea of justice behind it.

Just a clarification, is the second line on the seventh paragraph, meant to be " He, the one who drove (^out) her from his world" or am I missing something which was intended to denote arduous passion?

Thanks for sharing your work, as always it is a pleasure to read them.
Best, M.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Thanks for leaving your thoughts on this piece. In regards to that line, I'm not sure I understand w.. read more
θεά 

8 Years Ago

Thanks for clarifying. I wanted to confirm the meaning of that line, and whether it was suggesting a.. read more
Now your character is scary, super scary, I do pray we never meet. But the character description, the developments, how you portrayed every scene your words -lifewater was awesome- terrific. But then I'm curious...the scene with the door an the vase, did she switch to human?...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Thank you for taking the time to read this. The more blood she consumes, the more human she becomes... read more
alright Clifford, first off well done you...the character development first off is amazing. she is so dark....man get out of her way because she will eat you alive until she is fully regenerated. she can't be overruled by any male trying to dominate her either, she will have no master...I like that. as far as the changes you made to the end if I remember correctly with the confusion with the grandfather...well it was perfect this time. I totally understood that she was upset because nothing happened, even though his spirit was trapped in there and the vase was blessed. good job!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

I'm glad you like it! This story has been particularly enjoyable to write.
Clifford, very intense. I had to read it through without interruption. Excellent description to give the reader not only a strong physical vision but also to connect with his feelings. To arouse the senses of the reader allows the story to have life beyond the understanding of the writers words. Excellent!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jacob Clifford

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! It's funny how much I've enjoyed writing this story. It started off just as an id.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1523 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 7, 2016
Last Updated on January 28, 2019

Author

Jacob Clifford
Jacob Clifford

MN



About
Thank you, my Cafe family, for all that you have done for me. This has been a wonderful period of my life. If any of you ever want to reach me, feel free to send me an email at [email protected]... more..

Writing
Cracked Cracked

A Story by Jacob Clifford



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


He will be... He will be...

A Poem by Gee