Dear Mr. Father

Dear Mr. Father

A Story by Saturnalia
"

An unsent letter to a missing man.

"

Dear Mr. Father,

You’re an enigma of a man. The more I learn about you, the less I want to know. But I’m not concerning myself with you anymore. Why dwell on what was never here? I’ve learned I never needed you. It took years, though, but I’ve realized he’s more of a father than you ever were. He taught me valuable things, and all you’ve taught me is how to run. Sorry, but I think I’ll forget that lesson.

I know I may seem bitter, and I guess I still am. More for her than anyone, because it was her you hurt most, not me. You tried to get better, I know, and I respect you for that. However, I have yet to see your apology to me. I grew up without you, sir, do you care? How the hell would I know, I never even saw you. You’d ask why I was so afraid to speak to you; you never considered the fact that you were a stranger to me. And you still are, in spite of all those letters that have gone missing. They were filled with lies, if I remember correctly.

Oh, before I forget, I know about that other family. In a way, they’re just like us. You hurt them, too, but they’re over it. Your son looks like you and has followed in your footsteps, but he’s a better man than you can ever hope to be. And your daughter is going through some troubles, but she has someone to talk to, someone who actually cares. We’re close with this family because we have something that connects us; it’s a bond that’s been severed, but can connect other people.

I hope you’re happy to know that I barely think about you anymore. I can’t even remember your name and hopefully, neither can she. I guess we both moved on. You’re just one man, not even worth the trouble. I shouldn’t have pried, but I’m glad I did. It helped me accept your absence. I use to think about what I’d say if I ever met you, but I don’t want to see your face again. You’re just an accepted existence, and always have been to me.

But how are you, Mr. Father? I bet you’re still high. Did you think I would never find out? I guess you didn’t even consider me, or the fact that you had a family. I hope your life is Hell.

 

Your forgotten daughter,

Marisa

© 2008 Saturnalia


Author's Note

Saturnalia
Unfortunately, I'll never get to send this letter to my father. Too bad. Tell me what you think of this piece.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can truly feel your emotion in this piece. Pain felt from a daughter not knowing why one of the people who is supposed to love her unconditionally, ended up abandoning her. I do not think this is a letter that needs to be sent, in the true sense of sending a letter, but instead you are doing the right thing by letting out your feelings. This is the only way you will be able to find peace, which will maybe give you the strength to forgive. Forgiveness is only for the humblest of hearts. Great read, thank you for sharing!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very bitter. A virtue for a soul to heal from disappointments of the past is 'forgiveness'. Or better yet, never holding a grudge in the first place. People in general often expect high standards of other people, forgetting that the human race is full of people who, in truth, are only human. Our humanity is frail - very frail. And we make mistakes all the time. Who can say they have always been perfect? I personally would like to see a sequel to this letter in which the girl has learned to forgive her faulty father and found it in her heart to wish he would improve on the poor standards he is setting in life and find a way to become a better person. Daniel

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is difficult to read and I honestly cannot imagine what you've been through but the underlying resilience shines through your words.

Under such circumstances, I believe it is hard to forgive and even harder to forget. The best we can do is perhaps to focus on the pleasant things in life...to nurture and value what we have rather than what never was. You seem to have reached that understanding with yourself.

The part where you mention about the other family is especially touching. Many of us who go through adversity tend to cope by blaming people and things that may or may not be related to the cause. But you have chosen to look at the larger picture.

This is an excellent piece filled with remarkable strength and endurance.
I admire that...

Posted 15 Years Ago


Marisa, this is utter truth. This is what my dad and I are going to be like. I think this is a good piece. I wish you could send it to your dad. It's a shame that you grew up and your dad doesn't know who you are. Men today don't communicat and that is what goes wrong with marriages. Hope your life is better than mine. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

252 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 4, 2008

Author

Saturnalia
Saturnalia

My house, NJ



About
"The sky is infinite, but my wings will fill the expanse." x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x CHECK OUT MY NEW BLOG: http://inkpapera.. more..

Writing
Plastic Bags Plastic Bags

A Chapter by Saturnalia