"Computer Virus"

"Computer Virus"

A Story by Cody Williams
"

James has invented a creation that will revolutionize science and virtual reality. But what happens when a human brain gets a computer virus?

"

“Computer Virus”

By Cody Williams

 

            “Try it now!” Dr. James Mayfield said as he handed a silver metal helmet over to his younger brother Patrick. Dr. Mayfield was a local college science professor who owned an underground lab under his home in Indian Creek, Tennessee where he worked on his inventions. He was wearing a long white coat and kaki pants. He had black hair with gray streaks running through it.

            Patrick lived with his older brother. If he didn’t there is no doubt that he would be homeless. Patrick hadn’t held down a regular job in nearly six years. He goes down to the lab often and test out James’ inventions for extra dough. Patrick grabbed the helmet from him and placed it on his head. He then he pulled down the goggles that were at the base of the helmet and placed them over his eyes. James reached over to the helmet and pressed the red power button that was located on the right side of it above the visor. The goggles light up in a luminous purple/blue color.

            Patrick looked deep into the goggles as MAYFIELD ENTERTAINMENT flashed up on the screen. That’s exactly what it was. It wasn’t glass that covered the goggles; it was a miniature computer screen. Next to flash up were a blank black screen and a little Internet Explorer logo. Patrick paused for a moment and just stood there.

            “Go ahead Pat!” James said to his brother. Patrick turned to James unsure of himself. “Its okay Pat! Go ahead!” James said to him.

            “But what if I get shocked again?” Patrick asked frightened. James kneeled down beside his brother and placed his hand on his shoulder.

            “It’s okay Pat! I promise!” James said him. Patrick nodded in agreement and he thought as hard as he could. Thought about clicking the Internet icon and getting online. He thought long and hard to the point when he thought his head was going to explode with pain. The Internet icon finally lit up in blue and an Internet window covered the screen followed by big letters reading GOOGLE.

            “It works!” Patrick shouted with excitement. He placed his hands on the helmet and began to take it off. James reached over and put it back on him.

            “What are you doing?” James asked him.

            “Taking off the helmet. It works! So we’re done right?” Patrick said confused. James shook his head.

            “No! Try to navigate the web. Go to the URL bar at the top of the screen and type in a website. It can be any thing you want!” James said enthusiastically. Patrick nodded and looked up at the URL bar. He clicked it with his thought. He turned to James again looking unsure. James motioned for him to continue. Patrick nodded and looked back up at the bar. FACEBOOK.COM is what he thought of and that’s what appeared on the bar. He clicked the go bottom and waited for Facebook to appear. When Facebook appeared, he logged in and clicked on his profile. He clicked on the UPDATE STATUS bar and looked back over at James.

            “Go on Pat! Write whatever you want.” James said looked at the giant flat screen TV that showed whatever Patrick saw. Patrick put his focus on the status bar and typed FIRST VIRTUAL REALITY FACEBOOK STATUS WITH DR. JAMES MAYFIELD! James smiled at him. “Yes! It works!” James shouted happily. He stood up and put his hand on Patrick’s shoulder. “Good job Pat! You can take off the helmet now! You’re done!” James said as he reached over and grabbed a clipboard and began to write on it. Pat continued looking fascinated at the screen in front of him. Then a small pop up window appeared at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. The pop up read FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD. Intrigued, Patrick clicked on the pop up and waited for it to come up.

            The window for the free music downloader finally come up and Patrick began to look through the song lists. James looked back up to the screen and put down the clipboard.

            “What are you doing Pat?” He asked while walking over to the giant computer screen.

            “Looking at music.” Patrick replied.

            “What website is that?” James asked concerned.

            “I don’t know. It just popped up on the screen.” Pat said still looking at the music.

            “Oh no! What did you do! Take off the helmet! Right now Pat!” James shouted. Pat clicked on the PLAY button. The helmet began to spasm and spark out of control. “Pat takes off the helmet! Now!” James shouted. Patrick did not respond. The lights began deem before the power was completely shut off. “Patrick?” James said walking over and taking the helmet off of his brother. Patrick’s eyes were wide open but his body was motionless. He had no pulse. Patrick was dead. James threw down the helmet and pulled Patrick’s lifeless body into his arms.

            “You stupid fool! I didn’t install anti virus on the helmet yet!” James said as he began to cry.


Copyright 2013 by Cody Williams

Courtesy of The Enchanted Press

A division of TTP Entertainment

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 
PXVY-5X6I-ICS6-4MLM

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected </p><p class=HWF1-3ARL-PYKD-PM60" title="Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 

HWF1-3ARL-PYKD-PM60" width="150" height="40" src="http://static.copyrighted.com/images/seal.gif" />

© 2013 Cody Williams


Author's Note

Cody Williams
My first real Science Fiction story! I hope you enjoy it!

-CW

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hmm, I liked it. It felt very rushed, but the idea is an interesting one. Everyone loves to write about super futuristic technology, but there is something intriguing about the first brave steps into a new technology and the danger inherent therein. There were several tense/ grammatical issues, but it didn't interfere very much with the story.

I feel like there was a lot of description. A lot of "he did this" and "he said this". I think a little sentence creativity would go a long way in helping the flow of the story. Overall, not bad.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading it Doc! I got some far better ones on here if you wanted to read them.

read more



Reviews

Hmm, I liked it. It felt very rushed, but the idea is an interesting one. Everyone loves to write about super futuristic technology, but there is something intriguing about the first brave steps into a new technology and the danger inherent therein. There were several tense/ grammatical issues, but it didn't interfere very much with the story.

I feel like there was a lot of description. A lot of "he did this" and "he said this". I think a little sentence creativity would go a long way in helping the flow of the story. Overall, not bad.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading it Doc! I got some far better ones on here if you wanted to read them.

read more
A clever piece with a contemporary twist - well done; this was an enjoyable read, Cody!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks so much for the review!

-CW
Oh this is a new twist on our current technology. You take us to new possibilities...so much of science fiction becomes reality and leaves its fiction behind. Nicely done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

-CW
Oh, WOW!
Oh, Cody, you have seriously outdone yourself on this one, Bud. This is absolutely BRILLIANT!
I hope you don't mind, but I'm keeping this one, Hun. And I don't mean in "faves"...I mean I'm saving it to my computer! I don't wanna lose this one, I love love love LOVE it!

I've been a scifi fan all my life (I'm 63)...trust me, this is as good as anything I've ever read, and better than a good bit of it. This is worthy of the greats, like Harlan Ellison or Ray Bradbury (he said he had the heart of a little boy...which he kept in a jar on his desk).
Don't you EVER put that pen of yours down, boy! You are destined for greatness!!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Wow! Many thanks Angel! It really means a lot! I'm thinking about submitting it to Weird Tales Magaz.. read more
Angel

10 Years Ago

Ha! Looks like my computer burped, and the review did post...twice! Ahh, well...this one deserved .. read more
Oh, WOW!!!!!
Oh, Cody...you have seriously outdone yourself on this one, Bud!
This is AWESOME!!
I hope you don't mine...I'm keeping this one!!
Fantastic job, Hun!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A good idea for a story ... but the theme on virus risks ... mixed with family relations seemed ominous as if it suggested something. But I don't see that being worked into anything. However the case for getting a reliable anti-virus has never been stronger.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Dayran!

-CW
A great science fiction story!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

THis is a very good science fiction story. The idea of computer goggles is intriguing, as is the idea of being able to manuver with your mind.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Marie!

-CW
An excellent story, really!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Michael!

-CW
I read Cody`s writing, and am impressed by his output and energy, this is the way to become a good writer, work, work work !

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot!

-CW

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

791 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 30, 2013
Last Updated on December 14, 2013
Tags: science fiction, fiction, Cody Williams

Author

Cody Williams
Cody Williams

Elizabethton, TN



About
I am in my second year at Carson-Newman University in Jefferson City, Tennessee were I major in instrumental music education and minor in English. My passions include playing the trombone/euphonium an.. more..

Writing