"Voices"

"Voices"

A Story by Cody Williams
"

Marty thought he was well liked among his friends and family. But when he experienced a near death experience in a car crash he got a special ability. Now he knows how they really feel.

"

“Voices”

By Cody Williams

 

1.

            Marty Bishop continued clattering away at the keys with a wicked grin on his face. Marty had long black hair with a salad bowl hair cut. He had a black beard on his face and was quite thin. He stopped typing for a moment and looked across the room to a wooden desk where is roommate was sitting in the computer chair looking at him with a confused expression.

            “What?” Marty asked Berry, his roommate. Berry had short dark brown hair and was a bit bigger than Marty. Berry just continued glaring at Marty with confusion. “What Berry?” Marty screamed to his roommate. Marty and Berry didn’t get along as most best friends. It was as if they were more than just best friends. They fight like brothers.

            “What are you doing?” Berry asked Marty.

            “I’m writing a new story.” Marty said looking away from Berry and placing his attention back on the story. Berry stood up from his seat and walked over next to Marty. Berry reached down and closed the laptop and placed it on the coffee table in front of them. “Berry! What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Marty screamed to Marty and leaned forward to grab his laptop. He opened it back up typed in his password.

            “Come on Marty! Let’s go hang out somewhere!” Berry said to Marty. “I’m meeting Tami and Michelle for dinner! Why don’t you come with us?” Berry said. Marty looked up at Berry.

            “No! I got to finish the story!” Marty said as he began typing again.

            “Come on Marty! Zoey is going to be there!” Berry said trying to persuade Marty. Marty had a thing for Zoey. She was very skinny and thin. She had long brown hair that reached nearly to her butt. She was a very attractive young woman. Marty met her in one of his English classes. Marty stopped and thought for a moment. He then looked back at his laptop and continued writing.

            “I have to finish this story and post it!” He said ignoring Berry.

            “Come on man! Let’s go!” Berry said walking over to the door of their apartment and opening it. He motioned for Marty to follow him. Marty ignored him and continued to write. Berry let out a deep sigh of frustration and began walking out the door.

            “I just don’t understand you sometimes!” Berry said closing the door behind him.

 

2.

            Mart continued writing for nearly an hour before finally finishing the story.

            “Yes! Finished!” He said before typing THE END at the bottom of the final page. He clicked the red x in the left hand corner of the word document. He clicked SAVE and it saved onto his flash drive. He unplugged it and shoved it into his jean pocket while shutting the laptop down. He stood up from the couch and walked over to the refrigerator pulling out a can of beer.

            “To the story!” He said lifting up the beer in celebration. After finishing the beer, he smashed up the can and threw it in the garbage. He grabbed his coat and put it on. He opened the door and walked out of it. Marty walked down the hallway and down the stairs. When he reached the bottom of the stairs he walked out the door and to his car. He got in the car and started it. Marty backed it out of the parking lot and drove off.

            “Time to go to the library!” He said to himself. He drove for several moments with the radio cranked up to the maximum volume. He looked over to the seat beside him when he saw a manuscript of his first novel in the seat. The manuscript fell onto the floorboard.

            “S**t!” he said as he reached down to pick up the papers. He placed them back in the seat and looked up to notice that the traffic light was on red. “Holy s**t!” Marty said pulling his foot off of the gas and slamming on the breaks. The car slid through the center of the intersection only to be hit on the passenger side by an eighteen-wheeler.

 

3.

            A blinding white florescent light awoke him up from unconsciousness. He looked over across the room at a nurse.

            “Where am I?” Marty asked the nurse.

            “Oh God! You’re awake! I have to go get the doctor!” The nurse screamed as she ran out of the room. Marty began to angrily pull plugs, IV shots etc. out of him forcefully and throw them onto the floor.

            “Mr. Bishop! You’re awake!” The doctor said walking into the hospital room surprised. Marty pushed himself to sit up in the bed.

            “Yes I’m awake! Now what am I doing here?” Marty asked Dr. Jackson. Dr. Jackson grabbed his clipboard and put on a pair of reading glasses.

            “You don’t remember the car crash?” Dr. Johnson asked Marty.

            “What car crash?” Marty asked confused. Dr. Johnson put down the clipboard and walked over to the bedside of Marty.

            “Marty, do you know how long you have been in here?” Dr. Johnson asked him. Marty shook his head and looked at Dr. Johnson. “You have been in here for nine months. You almost died in a horrific car crash. Do you not remember anything?” Dr. Johnson asked Marty. Marty closed his eyes and placed his hand over his head and thought as hard as he could. Nothing. He shook his head.

            “Sorry Doc, I can’t hear anything!” Mary said looking back up at Dr. Johnson. Dr. Johnson looked back down at his clipboard and continued writing. “Do I have to stay here overnight or can I go home?” Marty asked him. He stopped writing and looked over at Marty.

            “Well, all your injuries healed, so I’m going to let you go on home.” Dr. Johnson said smiling. Marty smiled back and threw the covers off of him.

            ‘Lucky b*****d, you get to go home to nobody. That’s a hell of a lot better than going home to that b***h I call a wife.’ Marty heard Dr. Johnson say.

            “Excuse me?” Marty said shocked to what he heard Dr. Johnson say. Dr. Johnson looked over to him confused.

            “What?” Dr. Johnson asked.

            “What did you just say?” Marty asked Dr. Johnson.

            “I didn’t say anything.” Dr. Johnson said as he walked out the door.

            ‘It’s true. He didn’t say anything. His mouth didn’t move. But I heard him say something. It was his voice!’ Marty thought to himself. He walked over to the closet where his clothes were hung up and pulled them out. He carried them over to the bed. He sat down and put on his blue jeans and blue t-shirt. He brushed his hair back with his hands and walked out the door. He walked down the hallway passing the nurse that was in his room before.

            ‘God, please give me strength to live one more day.’ He heard her say.

            “What was that?” He asked her.

            “What? I didn’t say anything.” She said to him.

            “Sorry.” Marty said as he turned around and walked to the elevator. He pushed the down button and got in riding it down to the lobby.

            ‘Help me.’

            ‘I’m gonna kill him.’

            ‘Please God.’

            He began to get a headache. It sounded as if he was in a large cafeteria and everyone was shouting at him. Only they weren’t talking. He knew that. He could hear what they were thinking. He ran out of the door and down the street. He stuck his thumb out while also covering his ears. He got in the back seat of the cab and handed the driver a paper with his home address on it. The cab driver smiled at him and drove off into traffic. They drove in silence for several moments before Marty heard the voice of the cab driver.

            ‘Man, I can’t wait to drop this loser dirt bag off so I can go see my dealer and smoke me some Mary Jane.’ He heard him say. He could see the cab driver’s face in the rear view mirror. His lips didn’t even quiver. The cab driver looked back at him through the rear view mirror.

            ‘Oh great, what does this little s**t want?’ The voice said.

            “Can I help you sir?” The cab driver asked respectfully. Marty looked at him strange for a moment.

            “Nothing.” Marty said looking back down at the floorboard.

            ‘Ah great! Now he’s a smart a*s. Good thing I’m almost there so I don’t have to kick his a*s.’ The man thought again. Marty ignored it and continued to look down.

            The cab arrived to the apartment complex where he and Berry lived. Marty got out of the cab and handed the cab driver money.

            “Thank you sir!” the cab driver said.

            ‘Thank you mother f****r.’ The unspoken voice followed. Marty walked to the front door, up the stairs and to the door of his and Berry’s apartment. He stuck the key in the keyhole and the door swung open.

 

4.

            He walked inside, but he noticed that everything was different. His stuff was no longer in there. I didn’t look like a guy’s apartment at all. At least not a single guy. Berry walked in the living room from the kitchen.

            ‘Holy s**t! What the hell is this jackass doing here? I thought we got rid of him once and for all!’ Marty heard Berry say.

            “Hey man! How’s it going? When did you get out of the hospital?” Berry asked him pretending to be interested. Zoey then walked in the room. She looks at Marty confused.

            ‘What the f**k? What the hell is this God damn loser doing here?’ He heard her voice say.

            “Hey Marty! What are you doing here?” Zoey asked too pretending to care.

            “I got released from the hospital this morning. What’s going on here?” He asked them.

            “That’s great! Uh, Zoey and I are kind of a thing now.” Berry said to Marty.

            ‘That damn b*****d should have stayed dead.’ Berry thought to himself angrily. Marty turned his back to them and ran out the door. He ran to the stairwell and down the stairs. He ran to his car and got in. Marty began sobbing. He hit his fist repeatedly on the steering wheel. He began looking outside to at the people around. It felt as if there were horns about to pop out of his forehead. He had a head splitting headache. He could here everyone’s thought. It felt as if an axe was wedged at the middle of his forehead.

            He looked over at the open glove compartment where a rifle was laying. He reached over and picked it up and put the barrel to his head.

            “Please God! Make the pain stop!” Marty whispered to himself with tears rolling down his face. He pulled the trigger of the gun. His head spitted open and his brains splattered all over his car.

 

5.

            ‘The God damn son of a b***h is finally dead.’ Zoey thought as she walked by the casket pretending to care.

            ‘Finally! God finally finished you off!’ Berry thought.

            ‘You’re better off dead that you were writing those gross disgusting stories!’ His mom thought walking by the casket.

            ‘You were nothing but a disappointment anyway! Now my family name can still be saved!’ His dad thought.

            When the room was empty, Berry and Zoey walked hand and hand out of the chapel. They stopped at the door and looked back at the dead body.

            “You did this world a favor when you blew your brains out! This is what you disserve you sick son of a b***h! Rot in hell!” Berry said speaking his true fallings towards Marty. They turned their back to him and walked out of the chapel.


Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 
RBOO-ZXAS-E4LG-CU0N

Copyright 2013 By Cody Williams

Courtesy of TRUE TERROR PUBLICATIONS

A division of TTP Entertainment

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected </p><p class=INP0-L3CX-BDGL-GWXU" title="Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 

INP0-L3CX-BDGL-GWXU" width="150" height="40" src="http://static.copyrighted.com/images/seal.gif" />

© 2013 Cody Williams


Author's Note

Cody Williams
This is one of my longer darker ones. I hope you enjoy it!

-CW

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think this is an excellent story, while I would agree it needs a longer build up to the suicide. The one spelling error I noticed was fallings instead of feelings. If your intention was to imply that he can still hear the voices after he is dead, that should be clarified, but great read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

-CW



Reviews

Awesome as always my friend, just awesome!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Many thanks!

-CW
You tend to leave me pretty speechless with your stories which is why I tend to leave rather generic reviews but this one was definitely very interesting. if you were to add more I'd want to know how he got his special abilities and what kind of "gross disgusting stories" he wrote. I really enjoy reading your stories and you're an amazing writer. Keep up the amazing work :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Wow! Thanks a lot!

-CW
Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

Any time :)
I think this is an excellent story, while I would agree it needs a longer build up to the suicide. The one spelling error I noticed was fallings instead of feelings. If your intention was to imply that he can still hear the voices after he is dead, that should be clarified, but great read.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

-CW
Excellent idea, but written just a little too fast-paced for the concept. This should actually be much longer with more of a build up to the end. I suggest making the end more horrible by making him realize that, even dead, with his brains blown out, he can STILL hear everyone's thoughts. Give this a re-write or two and see where it goes. Send me a RR when you do.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Douglas! I did kind of rush through it because it began getting too long. Maybe w.. read more
Douglas White

10 Years Ago

Don't worry so much about length and let the story tell YOU how long it wants to be.

D.. read more
Really makes you think doesn't it! Thanks for sending the request!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I guess it is a blessing that we don't hear people's that for it will cause so much confusion and anger and even enmity between people. I really enjoyed the lesson and the suspense of your wonderful stories...:).......................

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Many thanks for reading Sami!

-CW
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)............
Sometimes wthink it would be nice if we could read another's thoughts. It would not. Your dark, fascinating story says that so well...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Marie!

-CW
Whoa. What could be worse than to have everyone's raw emotions exposed that way? It would be horrible!
I felt so sorry for poor Marty. I suppose, in the end, he did the only reasonable thing he could have done.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Angel!

-CW
Angel

10 Years Ago

You are welcome, Cody
"I have to finish this story and post it!"

A real post-modernistic hush! :) good storyline

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

-CW
An introduction to the mysteries of the psyche ... and the way it engages the eros ... in an environment in which most people are simply ... talking the walk. Its curious to see the choice being made ... to be ' dead ' ... and thereafter to view humanity ... from an anonymous vision ... that observes and records ... but makes no judgement.

I used to call the voices ' the guaman ' ... a non-existent word in English ... that means ' Justice ' in the Malay language. To this ... I added the term ' cave dweller ' ... due to its component phonetics. It refers to something we don't yet understand ... but is part of the process of guiding us to our expected achievement.

You've selected a writing theme ... that may not be the easiest thing to do. It wouldn't hurt ... to request a saint of the church ... to be your guide ... as you make your way through the study. It would help. Nice one ... keep writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

-CW

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

524 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 25, 2013
Last Updated on November 28, 2013
Tags: horror, dark fantasy, Cody Williams

Author

Cody Williams
Cody Williams

Elizabethton, TN



About
I am in my second year at Carson-Newman University in Jefferson City, Tennessee were I major in instrumental music education and minor in English. My passions include playing the trombone/euphonium an.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..