"The Happy Place"

"The Happy Place"

A Story by Cody Williams
"

Danny and Larry will do any thing to escape the terror of their abusive father. Even travel to a mental place of paradise. But what happens there after dark?

"

“The Happy Place”

By Cody Williams

 

1.

            Danny and Larry Rollins ran by the vase in the living room as it tipped over, fell to the floor and shattered. They turned around and faced the broken vase. They looked at each other and then down the hall. Their mother was quickly walking towards them with anger. The two boys began to tear up with fear. Danny was the older of the two at eight years old. His younger brother Larry was just two years younger. They looked nearly identical. Danny was a little bit taller and his hair was a darker shade of brown. Their mother knelt down beside the two boys and pulled them in close. They began to sob.

            “Shhh! Don’t worry! Mommy’s here! We don’t have to hell Daddy anything! Deal?” She asked in the typical mothering tone as she held them. The boys nodded and hugged their mother. Nobody should be this afraid of their own father. But the truth is they are. They are afraid of what he would do. What extreme he would take it to. Just last year, he broke Larry’s arm in a fit of rage. “Shhh.” Their mother said again. They heard the recliner being let down.

            “S**t!” Paula, the mother mumbled under her breathes. She began picking up the broken pieces of the vase before she saw him appear from around the corner in the corner of her eye. She dropped the pieces back down to the floor and looked at Dan, the father. Dan was slightly over weight. He was wearing a sleeveless stained white t-shirt. His hair was quite thinning and he was in his boxers. In his right hand was a can of Miller High Life. Dan walked over to them and grabbed Paula by the arm and pulled her to her feet.

            “What the hell is going on here? What the hell did you kids do?” Dan asked them. “Well?” He asked again waiting for an answer.

            “Dan, calm down! It’s all my fault!” Paula said. Dan pulled her in close.

            “No! I am not going to f*****g calm down!” Dan screamed at her while pushing her down to the ground while dropping his half can of beer. “S**t! Look what you made me do! You stupid b***h!” Dan shouted. Tears began to roll down Danny and Larry’s face as they once again began to sob. Dan looked down at them. “I’ll deal with you later b***h!” He said pointing at Paula as he began to unfasten the leather belt around his waste. He pulled it from the belt loops and folded it over once.

            “No Dan! You don’t have to do this!” Paula shouted as she picked herself up off the floor. He slapped the belt across her face knocking her down to the floor.

            “Stay out of this b***h!” He shouted. Dan turned his attention to the children. “Take off your shirts!” Dan said as he firmly gripped the belt.

            “But dad!” Danny protested.

            “But nothing! Take off your f*****g shirts and bend over!” Dan shouted. They took off their shirts and bent over. Danny looked over at his little brother.

            “It’s going to be okay Larry! Just go think happy thoughts! Go to the Happy Place!” Danny said. Larry nodded. Dan pulled the belt back and began swinging it across the back of the two boys. The truth is though, they didn’t feel a thing. They were no longer there on a cochious level. They were indeed in The Happy Place.

 

2.

            They felt no pain! They felt no dread! They felt no worry! They felt nothing but happiness! They felt bliss. They looked around for several moments confused. It was if they were in their own personal heaven. They were in the middle of a filed full a kids laughing and playing. The sky was sunny and filed with rainbows. There were flowers and beautiful plants surrounding them. Yes! They were in paradise.

            “Hi!” A young girl named Lucy said running up to Danny and Larry. Danny looked at her as her eyes sparkled.

            “Hi!” Danny said. “Where are we?” He asked her. She giggled and smiled at him.

            “We are at The Happy Place! A place where kids with troubled parents can mentally go to when they need to escape their fears!” Lucy said.

            “How did we get here?” Danny asked her. Lucy continued to smile at him. Lucy was a beautiful young girl. She had long strawberry blond hair and freckles covering her face.

            “You imagined that you were here!” She replied. Lucy reached over and grabbed Danny by the hand and led him to the amusement park in the center of The Happy Place called Happy Land. They all road the fairs wheel together and fed on cotton candy. It was the best day of Danny’s life. The kids looked up at the sun setting in the sky.

            “It’s time to go back.” Lucy said as she left them.

            “Wait! Where are you going?” Danny shouted. She turned back around to face them.

            “I got to go back home! You do to!” She told him.

            “Why? Why can’t we stay here forever?” Danny asked looking confused while walking towards her.

            “Because! We can’t be here after sunset! It’s not safe here!” Lucy told him.

            “Why? What’s not safe about it?” Danny asked the young girl as all the other kids began to disappear. Lucy looked up at the sky as it began to get dark.

            “We have to go now! Before he comes! Go! Leave!” Lucy said with fear. She disappeared and so did the boys. Danny and Larry then woke up in their bedroom lying in their beds. They woke up startled.

            “It must have just been a dream.” Danny said as he rolled over and drifted off to sleep. But it couldn’t be a dream could it? It felt too real to be a dream. That was the first time he was really happy.

 

3.

            The sun peaked through the curtains in the bedroom into the eyes of the two boys waking them up. They both sat up and got out of bed.

            “Danny? Was it a dream? Was the Happy Place a just a dream?” Larry asked him hoping he would say no. Danny shagged his shoulders.

            “I don’t know? I guess we can try to go back there.” Danny suggested. Larry nodded happily.

            “How are we going to do it?” Larry asked him crossing his legs on his bed. Danny thought about it for a moment.

            “Just think about going to the happy place.” Danny replied. The two boys closed their eyes and began thinking about the happy place. They opened their eyes and they were there. Back at the amusement park.

            “Hey guys!” Lucy shouted to them as she ran towards them. She gave them a hug and led them back over to the ferries wheel.

            “Hey Lucy! What were you saying last night before you left? What is so horrible about being here after dark?” Danny asked her. She looked down at the ground. “What is it? Why do we have to leave? Why can’t we stay here forever?” He asked her. She looked up at him.

            “Because, he will get you!” She replied. Danny looked at her confused for a moment.

            “Who? Who will get us?” He asked.

            “His name is Charles. He works for Bloody Mary.” She told him. Danny began to chuckle.

            “Why? Is this some kind of joke? Who is Bloody Marry?” Danny asked her. She looked at him angrily.

            “No it is not a joke! Bloody Marry is the queen of all alternate universes. This is not the only one. There are many more! Most of them are just not as good as this!” She told him as she turned her back to him.

            “Okay, I’m sorry for not believing you. Come on let’s go on the roller coaster!” Danny said grabbing her by the hand and leading her to the roller coaster. They stayed there once again until sunset. Danny, Lucy, and Larry walked out of the amusement park hand in hand. Lucy kissed Danny on the cheek and waved goodbye. She disappeared and so did the two boys.

 

4.

            Danny and Larry woke up again in their bed. But it was different. Their heard their dad and mom screaming at each other. Larry looked over at Danny frightened.

            “Shhh! Stay here! I’m going to go check out what’s going on.” Danny said getting out of bed. He walked over to the door and looked back at Larry. “I’ll be right back!” Danny insured him as he walked out of the bedroom.

            “Please Dan! Let me take them to the hospital! They haven’t woken up!” Paula pleaded to him. Dan stood up from his recliner angrily.

            “No b***h! Do you know what those people will do to me if they see those strap marks on their back?” Dan screamed as he threw his glass of beer against the wall. He reached over and grabbed his aluminum baseball bat and hit Paula on the side of the head with it. Danny saw this and ran back down the hall to his room as Dan continued to pound on her with the bat. He ran into the room and got on his bed.

            “Come on Larry! We have to go!” Danny spoke softly to him.

            “Where are we going to go?” Larry asked.

            “Back to The Happy Place!” Danny confirmed. Larry looked at him shocked.

            “But you heard what Lucy said! What about the evil man? What about Charles and Bloody Marry?” Larry asked him.

            “She was probably just trying to scare us! Besides it’s safer for us there than it is here! Now close your eyes and go to the happy place!” Danny said. Larry obeyed and the two boys closed their eyes.

They opened their eyes and they were back in The Happy Place. But something was different. The sky was black and the fields were now dead and an ugly gray color. The feeling of bliss was no longer there. It was now a feeling of sorrow and terror.

“Hey there young man! What’s your name?” a man said putting his hand on the shoulder of Danny. The man was wearing all black. His eyes were black and felt like emptiness.

“I’m Danny and this is my brother Larry! Where are we?” Danny asked the man. The man grinned with an evil smirk.

“Why dear boy, don’t you recognize the place? This is The Happy Place After Hours!” The man said! “And I’m your host Charles!” He said to them. The two boys looked at each other with fear. Razor sharp teeth began to appear out of Charles gums as his eyes turned blood red. “Welcome to your new home boys! Where you can never leave!” Charles said in an evil way. They looked around at the other people there. They were all little people with big noses and razor sharp teeth. They all began to circle around the children and lick their lips. Charles laughed with joy as Danny and Larry screamed with pure terror.


Copyright 2013 by Cody Williams

Courtesy of TRUE TERROR PUBLICATIONS

A division of TTP Entertainment

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 
PXVY-5X6I-ICS6-4MLM

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected </p><p class=NVP6-RLLY-P3K1-CFCD" title="Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 

NVP6-RLLY-P3K1-CFCD" width="150" height="40" src="http://static.copyrighted.com/images/seal.gif" />

© 2013 Cody Williams


Author's Note

Cody Williams
This one was a lot of fun to write! It took nearly for hours to write. I think this can stand beside some of my best work! Please leave me a comment and tell me what you think!

-CW

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really enjoy reading your stories, Cody.

Interesting twist at the end, though I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Who is Charles? Who is Bloody Mary? What role do they play in the story? And the 'Happy Place After Hours'... wouldn't it still be happy? Sorry, I guess I didn't really get it in the end. Unless their father killed them both... :(

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Lola! I'm glad that you enjoy my stories...for the most part anyway.

.. read more
Clara

10 Years Ago

Don't apologise at all! I really enjoyed reading your story and seeing how the plot unfolds. Thank y.. read more
Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks Lola!



Reviews

I really enjoy reading your stories, Cody.

Interesting twist at the end, though I'm not quite sure what to make of it. Who is Charles? Who is Bloody Mary? What role do they play in the story? And the 'Happy Place After Hours'... wouldn't it still be happy? Sorry, I guess I didn't really get it in the end. Unless their father killed them both... :(

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Lola! I'm glad that you enjoy my stories...for the most part anyway.

.. read more
Clara

10 Years Ago

Don't apologise at all! I really enjoyed reading your story and seeing how the plot unfolds. Thank y.. read more
Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks Lola!
This was just as fun to read! :) thank you for sharing

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

-CW
Rosaria_V

10 Years Ago

its truly a pleasure
I loved this story and the message of the abuse and escape of abuse into the imagination. One that families can relate too and appreciate. It was a great fun...Thank you for sharing...:)............

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Sami!

-CW
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

My pleasure...Any time...:)......................
You are quite right...this one can stand beside some of your best work.
I think this is something EVERY parent needs to read. The horror of living with abuse is beyond words for these little ones to tell...and many do escape into their own minds. It is a living hell for real.
Thank you for sharing this powerful tale, my friend!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

I'm looking into it. It's hard for me to work with magazines. I'm also working on a deal with Amazon.. read more
Angel

10 Years Ago

Cool.
Keep me posted, Luv.
And...when you hit the heights...don't forget your friends, h.. read more
Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Believe me, I won't. Thanks again!
A story that everyone can relate to ... well told ... with the obvious plight of the children in a circumstance ... that they cannot release themselves from. As an escapist strategy ... its great ... however the suggestion that its an alternative universe ... says that it may well support life in the long term ... until the day it heads back to the father's universe ... and slams into it. Says a great deal about conditions in which we cannot respond ... but that doesn't mean we never will. A nice write that evokes a sense of care.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like this too, I bet though you can expand the way you write and do more than horror themes !

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Leslie! I have been labeled as a horror writer. That's not really true! I have wr.. read more
Nice story. i guess their father killed them, that was the horror which reflected in their dreams.

best wishes

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading!

-CW
Prritiy

10 Years Ago

you are welcome
Gives new meaning to the phrase, "Be careful what you wish for"; very imaginative; excellent!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Michael!

-CW
Sorry, Cody. THis is not one of your best (which I still think is "Losers, Inc.) I think you should have connected the "bad" happy place more with the boys' reality.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Marie!

-CW
A terrifying tale! Keep them coming!

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

744 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on December 1, 2013
Last Updated on December 14, 2013
Tags: horror, dark fantasy, Cody Williams

Author

Cody Williams
Cody Williams

Elizabethton, TN



About
I am in my second year at Carson-Newman University in Jefferson City, Tennessee were I major in instrumental music education and minor in English. My passions include playing the trombone/euphonium an.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


"Voices" "Voices"

A Story by Cody Williams