"Reaper"

"Reaper"

A Story by Cody Williams
"

Joel always has been fascinated with the idea of death...now he might experience it.

"

“Reaper”

By Cody Williams

 

            Joel looked around in the dark basement trying to find his way out. In the center of the basement floor was a lone wooden chair sitting under a wooden desk and a small black desk lamp that was shining on it. Joel had short wavy black hair and a black beard covering his face. On his eyes were large glasses with black frames. He was about forty-five years old and quite thin. Joel worked as a high school English teacher at Jeff Campbell High School.

Joel slowly walked over to the desk to investigate. The splintery desk was bare except for the puddle of blood and the sewing needle and thread that was laying on the edge of it.

            “What the hell?” Joel said as he reached down picking up the sewing needle that was soaked with blood. That’s when she appeared on the other side of the desk. It was as if she came out of thin air. She was a young woman with a dark tan and long brown hair. She was really thin. It looked as if she even lost five pounds she would drop dead from hunger. The woman was starved. Joel wasn’t afraid to bet money on the fact that if you lifted up her shirt you could see her ribs peaking through her skin. She sat down in the chair that was on the other side of the desk but kept her face in the darkness.

            But there was something different about her. She sat up in the chair with the light reveling her face. Joel leaped back and gasped at what he saw. Her two eyelids were sown shut and was wearing a wicked smirk. She began to laugh hysterically. The young girl stood up from her chair and slowly began to walk towards Joel.

            “Reaper’s gonna get you!” The woman said singing a tune as she continued to laugh. “Reaper’s gonna get you!” She sung again this time reaching out for him. The woman grabbed him by the shoulder and leaned in to whisper in his ear.

            “The Reaper is here! And he’s coming for you! You are next! The reaper’s gonna get you!” The woman whispered. She backed away from him and then grabbed him by the throat lifting him off of the basement floor. Blood began to flow out where her eyelids were once pierced by the needle.

            “No! No! No!” Joel shouted out in terror as he awoke in his bed. He let out a big sigh of relief and began to wipe the sweat off of his face. He chuckled for a moment. “I guess it was just a dream” He said released. He looked over to the knight stand and what he saw was enough to send chills up his spine. It was the small black thread tied to a needle lying in a puddle of blood. He threw the blankets off of him and reached over turning on the lamp that was on the nightstand. Joel turned his body around and placed his bare feet on the wooden floor. He reached over to the nightstand picking up his black-framed glasses and put them on his face.

            Joel reached over and picked up the thread getting blood all over his hands. As the sound of lightening crashed outside he stood up from his bed and darted into the bathroom. He reached over flipping the light switch up. The light turned on and threw the needle and thread into the wastebasket that was sitting beside the toilet. Joel then turned on the water and began to pump soap into his hands. He rubbed his hands together quickly and washed the blood off. When the blood was washed from his hands, he bent over slightly and began to splash water on his face. He turned of the faucet and reached over grabbing the hand towel from the towel rack. Joel dried his hands off and face and then rose back up looking into the mirror.

            In the top right hand corner of the mirror was a small black cloak looking figure and in the left hand corner was the woman who sewed her eyelids together. Joel quickly turned around only to see nothing behind him. He turned back to the mirror and the two images he once saw were gone as well. He began to hear the splashing of water in the bathtub. Knowing that he emptied the tub before going to bed, he slowly began to walk towards it. He could feel his heart beat through out his entire body as it began to beat faster. He reached his trembling hand up to the curtain and began to pull it aside. There was nothing in the bathtub. He sighed again and turned his back to it. There a woman stood behind him.

            The woman was slider and wasn’t wearing any clothes. There were two distinct cuts on her wrists. She slowly walked over to him grabbed him by the shoulders. She leaned in close to him whispering in his ear.

            “Reaper’s gonna get you! He’s waiting for you in the basement! Come to the other side Joel! It’s beautiful over here!” The woman said to him. Joel leaped back falling into the tub that was now filled with water. He began to spasm until he finally lifted his head out of the water. The woman was now gone and the tub was dry. He stood up and walked out of the bathroom back into his bedroom. He looked around for a moment and then walked over to his bedside and opened up the top drawer of the nightstand. He reached into it pulling out a large metal red flashlight. Joel closed the drawer and stood to his feet. He walked out of the bedroom and down the hallway into the kitchen.

            A flash of lightening struck across the room revealing two young twin girls holding hands in the corner of the room. Joel turned on the flashlight and shined it into the corner where he saw the two dead girls. Nothing was there.

            “You’re just imagining this s**t! There’s nothing there! There never was. Now, if I can just go down to the basement and prove to myself that nobody’s down there, I can finally rest.” Joel said to himself. She slowly walked to the basement door and opened it. The basement was dark and had a strange musky type smell to it. He slowly began to walk down the stairs. With each step he took he could hear the wooden steps creek and howl out. He closed his eyes and continued to walk down the stairs hoping that he would find nothing.

            Once he reached the basement floor he noticed that the only light that was on down there was the one in the center that was hanging over the splintery wooden desk just like in his dream. Only this there was no puddle of blood. There was no woman with her eyelids sown together. This time sitting in the chair was the dark figure that he saw in the corner of the mirror. Joel couldn’t see the face of the dark figure. The dark figure’s back was turned to Joel and he was wearing a long black cloak.

            “Joel! I’ve been expecting you!” The figure said as he raised his left arm revealing his pale boney hand. He raised his index finger and motioned for Joel to come towards him. Joel slowly began to walk towards the dark man.

            “Who are you?” Joel asked the dark figure. He began to laugh.

            “Isn’t if obvious? These things you have been seeing are not hallucinations. They are all real! And they were all sent to warn you of my coming.” The dark figure told him. Joel thought for a moment.

            “Reaper?” Joel asked. The dark figure nodded. “What do you want with me?” Joel asked the reaper.

            ‘It’s your time to go Joel! You know that! You’ve been asking for it!” The Reaper told him. Joel stopped and looked at him for a moment.

            “What do you mean? How have I been asking for it?” Joel asked the Reaper. The reaper stood from the chair and turned to face Joel. His face was as pale as a plain white sheet of paper and he had no meat on his face. It looked like he was just a bag of bones made from human skin.

            “Don’t think I know you Joel! I know what think about. When you are drowning your sorrows in the whiskey I hear every cry, I hear every sick and twisted thought that ever enters your mind from your suicidal thought to your sick and twisted families. And by the way, the handcuffs is nasty thought.” The Reaper told him. Joel gulped and stood in silence for a moment.

            “No! You can’t hold me accountable for that! I mean I was under the damn influence!” Joel argued to the Reaper. The Reaper shook his head and smiled.

            “They’re still your thoughts and your desires Joel!” The Reaper said to him.

            “No! You can’t make me go!” Joel shouted as he turned his back towards the reaper and started for the stairs. Blocking the stairs was the woman with her eyelids sown together. She smiled at him and began walking towards him. Joel began to back away from her as saw more and more people appear from the darkness.

            “You think you have a choice in this? You are no different than any of these people! You belong with us!” The Reaper shouted. The spirits began to circle around him and move inward.

            “Reaper’s got you! Reaper’s got you!” The phantoms chanted in unison as they all began to reach out to Joel.


Copyright 2014 by Cody Williams

Courtesy of TRUE TERROR PUBLICATIONS

A division of TTP Entertainment

Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected </p><p class=PNNM-XNOY-NZGP-7BBB" title="Copyrighted.com Registered & Protected 

PNNM-XNOY-NZGP-7BBB" width="150" height="40" src="http://static.copyrighted.com/images/seal.gif" />

© 2014 Cody Williams


Author's Note

Cody Williams
I first got the idea for this story a couple of monte ago when I was on a drive home from college. I pondered the idea for a while but then set it aside because I didn't feel like I had the whole story of the reaper yet. I knew I would get the story sooner or later and I finally did. It took a lot of stops and starts and even a complete rewrite, but I finally got it. I hope you enjoy it! Review and comments are always welcome!

-CW

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"The reaper stood from the chair and turned to face Joel. His face was as pale as a plain white sheet of paper and he had no meat on his face. It looked like he was just a bag of bones made from human skin."

Harvest blood time for those victims of suicidal thoughts when they get their wish to be fulfilled. I was wondering if Joel was on drugs reading this powerful story. But then I found out he was not. This story tells me beware what you wish for for you might get it...Bravo.................

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Sami!

-CW
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)...................



Reviews

I can clearly hear the Twilight Zone theme song playing in my head...

No...never in the evening before bed...never, ever again. You give me nightmares, my friend!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

I do my best. Thanks for reading Angel!

-CW
Reading through the other comments I feel like a total jerk, but I have to mention that this story needs a considerable amount of editing and revising. The first paragraph is an excellent note, but not a very good intro, the character's description needs to be added more fluently into the story. There are numerous physical space issues throughout the story, and I noticed consistent stop-form phrasing (and then ___, and then ____ and then ____ and then ____ and then ____). Feel free to message me for a line-by-line critique, and know that I also agree with the other comments on what you did well, the symbolism and story line are great, but I only suggest that there is room for improvement on the construction.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

This is just a first draft. There will be revisions made. Thanks for reading and for the help.
.. read more
"The reaper stood from the chair and turned to face Joel. His face was as pale as a plain white sheet of paper and he had no meat on his face. It looked like he was just a bag of bones made from human skin."

Harvest blood time for those victims of suicidal thoughts when they get their wish to be fulfilled. I was wondering if Joel was on drugs reading this powerful story. But then I found out he was not. This story tells me beware what you wish for for you might get it...Bravo.................

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Sami!

-CW
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)...................
The reaper may not mean death, but apparently that is Joel's perception of it. Perhaps the whole thing is in his mind. But in the end it makes no difference. WHen the time comes, we all go with our particular reaper.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

It's always nice to hear your thoughts Marie! Thanks for reading!

-CW
A good write, well-illustrating a view on the topic. I just turned the back on the reaper on the 28th. Left the hospital smirking. He only has the power, you let him. It's a choice. Excellent imagery!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Jay!

-CW
Scary stuff; it's a good thing The Reaper can't read my thoughts, because with my imagination? Are you kidding me? But then again, how do I KNOW?

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Michael!

-CW
I'm not sure if the reaper means death ... its a harvest ... we get what we deserve. And shutting the eyes ... conveys the wish to stop judging everything by what we see ... and to apply ourselves to the meaning of what we encounter.

In presenting the story entirely in the singular experience of Joel ... it loses some sense of the shared concerns of this phenomenon ... perhaps it says it can't be shared. Keep at it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading Dayran!

-CW
A solid write - a couple of minor things I noticed: It sounds odd to me when someone's age is described as "about" and also, repetition of type of glasses seems unnecessary.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cody Williams

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading KL!

-CW

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

574 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 2, 2014
Last Updated on February 2, 2014
Tags: horror, grim reaper, paranormal, ghosts, death, Cody Williams

Author

Cody Williams
Cody Williams

Elizabethton, TN



About
I am in my second year at Carson-Newman University in Jefferson City, Tennessee were I major in instrumental music education and minor in English. My passions include playing the trombone/euphonium an.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I am I am

A Poem by CRZ