Restraint

Restraint

A Story by Wisconsin
"

Short horror piece.

"

Mack and I were there the night the police carted Al off the Kangi side of things.

The door was unlocked. We let ourselves in without knocking to see Jayman sitting at the kitchen table, alone.

Looked up at us. He knew why we were there, but didn't say it. We tried to act chipper in greetings, though we were all under enough stress to torque the fibers of any sound mind.

He had a chessboard without pieces. Used to be a chess genius, but his pieces were all thrown out. Kryn got to them. Threw them out because she was disturbed, insane.

The action sounds so little when written on paper, so petty. Doesn't have as much impact if you don't know her past history. She stole and burned the whole of Christy's clothing because she was jealous, went on a roadtrip to Vegas and came back with a new daughter, stole and forged a name on a four thousand dollar check because she wanted a teapot, and most recently she..

It goes without saying she was no longer part of the Kangi farm, either. She, Judd, and the web-toed demonspawn children were gone.

I scribbled chess pieces on paper in crayon and cut them out for replacements.

Jayman was alone.

My brother and I went to keep him from doing anything stupid. To keep him in the house, and to restrain him if need-be. If Judd or Kryn slunk back.

But now that I think back to that night...

He was expecting them to come back that night. We all were.

My brother and I went right in. He was sitting alone at the kitchen table, quietly.

I brought chess pieces, we played chess until well after midnight.

That's it.
That's the entirety of the story behind that night.
Nothing else happened.

But I remember all the minuscule details in Mack and Jayman's faces. In their eyes.

There was anger all around the table. I know that we were all playing out the same murderous fantasies in our heads, over and over, all night long.

And I wonder now, if we were really there to restrain Jay if something happened.

© 2008 Wisconsin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

and also,
i'm sad.

you're powerful. don't doubt.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Horror?

Dark, yeah.
Like... I'm thinking of your beardy license photo, and this, and ... Owen The Psychopath comes to mind (as a character). Full color, it is.




You are a deep well of awesomness, mister. You really are.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 19, 2008

Author

Wisconsin
Wisconsin

About
I, I want to read your books too. And you will always be kindred. -O more..

Writing