Parabolas and Straight Lines

Parabolas and Straight Lines

A Poem by Cole Hayley
"

One of the most angry pieces I have done.

"

Parabolas and Straight Lines. 


This is the chance to be alive and breathing.

 

The chance to be everything and anything you ever wanted. 


The familiarity of this scene has played out a thousand times, 

Every character floating off the ground, 

Bouncing off the walls.


Can you justify taking the world hostage?


If you had to choose between your alcohol

And all the beautiful days with your yuppie friends, 

Would you even try to fight the repetition?


Living on this parabola, 

An archway of desperation, 

Crucified to keep searching, 

For some type of emancipation. 


Haven't you realized that nothing is fair in this world?


You will spend your life just like the rest of these sad people, 

Spinning and screaming on their hinges, 

Going of the rails


(Now and again)


All you people want is just another night out, 

More money for your booze and cigarets, 

And every time you wake up the next morning, 

You're just filled with empty feelings and regrets. 


I'm not going to be another cornerstone, 

On the end of "has-been" boulevard. 


In the end of all this I'm coming out on top, 

Somehow on the tip of the curve                                 (This parabola?),

As tedious as that may be. 


I'll drain myself dry to be something different. 

© 2012 Cole Hayley


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I can understand the anger in this poem. Very well done and very well expressed.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Love it. The only thing I noticed was a minor spelling error- "cigarettes".

Posted 11 Years Ago


Definatly an angry piece, that much you have presented very cleary and well.. your words are loaded with the venom of that rage indeed.
An intellegent and well thought out piece of work aswell, the language used is rather educated which makes me more intersted in the writing as you create such perfectly crafted emotions that i can almost feel your protagonists view as if it were my own.
The strength and determination is also seen growing throught hte piece. Very glad i read it.

Only thing i have to really critise is the placing of This parabola but only because i didn't see the line until after id read teh whole thing, so its not really a problem more my poor scanning on text

Posted 11 Years Ago


woah... I can feel the anger.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I liked your surreal pieces better. They went deeper into some place and connected with some part of my mysteries. This is a rage against the world that you are probably new at. I think you're referring to the surreal when you say you'll drain yourself dry. No more dreams.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow, beautiful poem :) Gives you a feeling of anger - good work - captivating :) Going in my library!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Not sure what to say about this one. It's good, yet all the same it leaves me with mixed emotions. I can feel the anger. Which adds effect. Nice.

Posted 11 Years Ago


we all come from somewhere.. and that is not always a good place.. but in the end, it is where we go that counts.. outstanding work.. I actually had to read it more than once.. it was that good..

Posted 11 Years Ago


"The chance" in the second line is redundant. It is already implicit by its mention in the first sentence, which is a great little hook. I don't get how the "characters" whom you never really clarify, bounce off the wall and float and those lines' relation to familiarity. It's really disjointed and random in the next second. How do you explain "taking the world hostage"? Is that violent? Pacifism? Something else? The next verse about repetition is great, but how does that relate to the previous stanza? There is no recurring theme to speak of. How does repetition tie into a an existential "parabola"? What is the archway? Is it in life in general or in the mind/heart? In the repetitious cycle with the yuppies/alcohol? Then all of a sudden, it's about freedom and karma. Next stanza is brilliant and actually is contingent on the previous topic. What is the cornerstone a part of? The parabola? Then it talks about a boulevard. Where is that coming from? The second to last stanza reverts to the parabola, which can explain that it's figuratively symbolic for life as an abstraction, but the last line is pretty confusing. What does wetness have to do with uniqueness? And how do you drain yourself? Sorry. This is definitely not my favorite thing by you. You have some great ideas, but it's a hundred poems crammed into one, with no motif to speak of. Try to clarify you intention. As a reader, I don't have your foreknowledge. Let me see what you see, you know?

Posted 11 Years Ago


Larry Dyson

11 Years Ago

you do like BUZZ words...but an implied relationship to something..makes them better...it appears yo.. read more
Laura Maidah

11 Years Ago

Not throwing mud. Lol. Just clarifying that though the tone is precise and clipped, theme is filled .. read more
Laura Maidah

11 Years Ago

Empty gesticulations that leave me with more questions than when I started it.
I like the honest and direct feel of this poem. Anger is good medicine to clean the mind and soul. The strong statements made your desire come alive in the poem. Thank you for the outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

564 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on July 1, 2012
Last Updated on July 1, 2012
Tags: Parabolas and Straight Lines Col

Author

Cole Hayley
Cole Hayley

Montreal, Canada



About
25 / Canada I'm back ;) New series: "Name one thing in this photo" 1. Grocery list and a Love letter 2. Went Wrong 3. 24 4. The Pacific Theater 5. A SATA cable frayed 6. One Thing 7. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Symbolic Symbolic

A Poem by Cole Hayley


Hail Hail

A Poem by Cole Hayley