Back to Rhapsody

Back to Rhapsody

A Story by Constance Payne
"

Just because one way does not work for a dream do not give up; find another way.

"
Six months living near her mother in law gave Jan about all the stress she could handle and she convinced Jim to return to Florida and "Rhapsody" despite her fear of drowning. Jim's dream to see the world via the water filled his heart, dreams, desires, and Jan's love for him gave her the ability to help him see his dream through.
Upon arrival once again in Florida they found that a squatter had decided that their little home should be his.  Taking it for a ride was not problem, but when he hit the dock and it sank he made sure there was no evidence as to who he was.  Jim and Jan, Karman and Kara returned to Florida to find their beloved "Rhapsody" setting beneath the surface of the dock under seven to twelve feet of water; depending upon the stage of the tide.  

"We have been trying to reach you Jim" said the owner of the Marina.  "The man said he was your brother and had your permission, even had a letter from you saying that he could stay on the boat while you were in Kansas.  He knew an awful lot about you to not be real", were the words told to Jim as he and the owner walked to where "Rhapsody" was lying in wait for the ones who loved her.  Jim and Jan could do no more than hold hands and wonder what to do next.  Karman and Kara kept repeating the question their parents could not answer at that time.  "Where are we gonna live now Momma, where are we gonna live now?"

Jan hid the tiniest bit of elation at the fact that she would now have a home with a yard for her daughters to safely play minus the worry of drowning.  They could still rent boats and go for day trips, but to have a kitchen and a bedroom and a home were a dream finally coming true for her.  Yet, to see her husband's face filled with pain and anguish knowing that his brother had caused it made her dream seem so selfish.  She turned to Jim and with a smile in her eyes told him "You built it once, you can do it again; better.  It will be alright.  Together we will be okay."  These words made Jim's heart soar because he knew of Jan's dream and he knew she would surrender it to see him happy.  He decided to bring her afloat and rebuild "Rhapsody"  once again.  Jim's dream was renewed; Jan would have her's if only for a short time.

Lifting a sunken boat is a chore for more than one man, his wife, and daughters ages 8 and 5.  The employees at the marina were enlisted to help; it would have to be after work as the owner had a business to run and if Jim would be his shop manager he would loan him all the equipment as well as a space to rebuild.  The deal was struck and lifting began that night.  "Rhapsody" was lifted, covered in barnacles that would need to be scrapped from her hull.  She looked saddened as they moved the forklift into position to take her from the Back Bay to the racks that would hold her safely for the next few months.  Life renewed began.

© 2013 Constance Payne


Author's Note

Constance Payne
This story has several parts as it is quite long, it is a fictional history of a family who grew together finding love along the way.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Boats do seem to be so fragile compared to houses, yet like our relationships, they can be repaired and made better too.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Constance Payne

11 Years Ago

With a little tender loving care and hard work there is almost nothing in this world that cannot be .. read more
this is so interesting to read...I am from Florida and know what it takes to get a sunken treasure up*)
the family is moving along so lovingly together...I did feel bad for a moment when the little one asks where they are going to live and that shows there is emotion in your words
thank you for sharing

Posted 11 Years Ago


Holly Mason

11 Years Ago

brevard county malabar
Holly Mason

11 Years Ago

miss it as well but diggin haha the snow*)
Constance Payne

11 Years Ago

I figure where it falls is where it is meant to be; same with leaves. It is probably good I live in.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
2 Reviews
Added on March 21, 2013
Last Updated on March 21, 2013
Tags: life, childhood, boats, memories, truth, fiction

Author

Constance Payne
Constance Payne

Saint James, MO



About
I am an Inspirational Photographer who desires to change her small part of the world. I aspire to inspire. I am a Master's Student in Community Counseling. I am who I am and that is all that I can .. more..

Writing