Ethics and the Common (Wo)Man

Ethics and the Common (Wo)Man

A Story by Constance Payne
"

I recently completed an ethics class and find it amazing how few ethics many professionals have.

"

Ethics, What are they??

According to Dictionary.com: 
1. (used with a singular or plural verb ) a system of moral principles: the ethics of a culture.

2. the rules of conduct recognized in respect to a particular class of human actions or a particular group, culture, etc.: medical ethics; Christian ethics.

3.moral principles, as of an individual: His ethics forbade betrayal of a confidence.

4.(usually used with a singular verb ) that branch of philosophy dealing with values relating to human conduct, with respect to the rightness and wrongness of certain actions and to the goodness and badness of the motives and ends of such actions.

Who has them?

We all have ethics. 
We all have a system of moral principles; a way we act and a way we expect others to act.
We all live by rules.
Even most criminals have limits to what they will do to another. This is noted by the separation of certain types of criminals from the general population of custody.
Even those individuals that appear UN-Ethcial to us have a value system that they live by, therefore, giving them Ethics in their own minds.

Should I or Should I not???...

What if a co-worker violates what I consider to be my ethical code of standard? 
Should I quit my job? Should I say something to them? Should I say something to the boss? Should I just let it go, understanding that we all live by a separate and unique code of Ethics?
Should I or Should I not???....
That is a question that you must answer for yourself by answering some different questions.
1. How do I feel about what I have heard/seen?
2. Can I live with the knowledge of not saying something?
3. Will it jeopardize my employment if I don't say anything?
4. Will it jeopardize my employment if I do say something?
5. If I don't say something, can I live with the knowledge of what I have heard/seen?
6. Would I like to be in the position of how I have heard/seen someone else treated.
7. Can I sleep knowing that I said nothing about something that I felt was completely wrong???

I have to ask myself, as you have to ask yourself, all these questions. Once they are answered you have your decision made.

Taking Action

Once you have those questions answered to your satisfaction, now is the time for taking action. What do you do??? This is another good question that must be decided by your personal Ethics.

What will your Ethics require you to do?

Know that even in doing nothing you are taking action. 

Once your decision is made, act on it and stand your ground.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto those you love the most!

© 2013 Constance Payne


Author's Note

Constance Payne
This was written long ago but once again fits in this life that I am building....

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This fits everywhere my friend. Nice message.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Constance Payne

10 Years Ago

Thank You for reading Jack. I have been struggling with so much lately my writing has fell to the w.. read more
Jack...

10 Years Ago

Constance, I will not forget you.
A truthful and timeless message. I enjoyed reading this.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Constance Payne

10 Years Ago

Thank You for reading....
A rather comprised piece but the matter it addresses never ceases to be up to date. Nice work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Constance Payne

10 Years Ago

How very true. It is definitely a "to each their own" standard....Thank you so much for reading.
Friday

10 Years Ago

A good philosopher's retreat so to speak. Thank YOU!
Seems we NEVER know when another is listening ...or reading. There is a lot we want to share - sometimes we do.



Posted 10 Years Ago


Constance Payne

10 Years Ago

Thank You for Reading.
Chris

10 Years Ago

you are worth the pausing...
Constance Payne

10 Years Ago

Thank You, that is one of the nicest things I have heard today.
Many of us have ethics we obey and ethics we aspire to obey. Thanks for sharing. Makes us all think! Without thinking, what are we? Nothing but an animal.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Constance Payne

10 Years Ago

There are times I think some animals have more thoughts than some humans. Being a counseling profes.. read more
Another thought-provoking piece, Constance! So many wise statements. My favorite: "Know that even in doing nothing you are taking action."

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Constance Payne

10 Years Ago

Thank You for reading. Ethics is something that brings on more trouble than I realized.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

494 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 30, 2013
Last Updated on May 30, 2013
Tags: ethics, life, professional, legal, law, essay

Author

Constance Payne
Constance Payne

Saint James, MO



About
I am an Inspirational Photographer who desires to change her small part of the world. I aspire to inspire. I am a Master's Student in Community Counseling. I am who I am and that is all that I can .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..