The Most Prized and Precious Jewel

The Most Prized and Precious Jewel

A Poem by CookeCody

The most prized and precious jewel that we can posses isn't mined in the mountains, and it isn't sold or traded on any market. The Human Treasure is found in the mind, and it is told and traded between every degree of intimacy and every shape and color of lip. Our words are our treasures. They are our legacies, far stronger than any stone or steel, far brighter than any fire or diamond. They have educated, reigned, usurped, and killed the mightiest of kings, and the radiance of their majesty blazes unfettered by such a petty idea as Time, an idea that has tackled and crumbled and reduced to sediment all of the tallest towers and all of the magnificent, physical, fiscal feats of man. If you doubt me, then remove all language from anything else you can think of, and tell me just how sophisticated and civilized it is. Government without words is a charade, a few finely dressed ape-descendants ordering around other, variably dressed and consenting ape-descendants. And ordering them based on what merit? How do we judge, qualify, and elect the leaders of our free world if not by the power of our voices? Religion is debased entirely; without words we lack the capacity to capture that rapturous Glory by which we build the track of our Lives. All that is left is art, that mute Muse, and only certain fields of it. Envisioning a Life without words threatens a sensitivity in me I can't ignore. To not only find but to seize and to covet that precious gem, and to put hands on what it means to say exactly what you want to say, but to do so in a beautiful way, and to do so with intentions as white and clean as paper; what higher purpose is there?
What greater way to express and validate ourselves, and therefore prove ourselves worthy of any divine presence, than by wisely using our words?

© 2017 CookeCody


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

141 Views
Added on October 4, 2017
Last Updated on October 4, 2017
Tags: Words, art, writing, poetry

Author

CookeCody
CookeCody

Sulphur, LA



About
CookeCody more..

Writing