The First Night Shift At Work

The First Night Shift At Work

A Story by Darkswing
"

This here is my sixth story. Do enjoy!!

"
It's been only two weeks when i joined this company. I was appointed for day shifts. The worst part of this job was to work during the day. But from what i hear from time to time is that night shifts can become very exciting. As about 5-10 people would be working during the night. Not much work is available during the night though. Still most of us are forced to do a day shift. Luckily one day towards the end of my shift, i heard that a couple of colleagues of mine who worked during the night shift were actually admitted in the hospital for a minor heart attack. It was a bit weird but still i didn't give much attention to it and surprisingly my friend and i was chosen to cover the shifts of the employees who were admitted.

We were excited beyond doubt. We just couldn't wait for the next day to start our first night shift. The thought of doing a night shift kept us in a good mood till the end of our day. Fortunately for us, it was Saturday and Sunday that stood ahead of us. It was our weekend. We decided to celebrate as we usually do every weekend but for this time we decided that we would do something more fun. The best part was that our night shift was going to begin from Monday night itself. As we left from work on that Friday night, all four of us have quickly jumped into the car and began planning for the weekend and at the same time we decided that we would go for a long drive around town and look around and eat some Pizza's and Burgers and soon leave for our respective homes for the next day's party.

What we felt that night was a feeling of freedom. We could feel as though our troubles and pressures have drifted away into a far away island where no boats can ever sail and no soul could ever reach. As I reached home, i was feeling very hungry and it was uncanny as i just ate like two or maybe three whole pizza's and three Burgers. Still i dismissed my thoughts before it proceeds into something stupid. Well i quickly made some sandwiches and some burgers which were made from some buns and some chicken pieces, mayonnaise and cheese slices. I sat down on my couch and began watching a movie and at the same time eating what i had prepared. The minute the movie ended i quickly switched off the television and quickly jumped in to bed and drifted off to sleep.

The weekend that we spent was amazing and beyond words to describe. Still we partied like animals. We had the best fun we could ever have in clubs and long drives and we ended the two nights at having a small little camp at the beach. Finally the long awaited Monday has arrived. By the time we woke up from our hangover it was about 3pm and our shift had started at 7pm. Both my friend and i quickly cleaned up the room as it was a mess and we quickly freshened up and got ready for work. Although one thing did happen though that surprised me was when my friend told me that he wanted to move in from his hostel because he didn't like the food there and many more excuses, he offered to pay half the rent and stay with me. I just couldn't disagree as for one i can't stay alone as i feel bored.

Still we left for the company at around 6:30pm and we reached to the company at exactly 6:57pm. Apparently my house is not that far. Still we were excited beyond doubt. As we entered most of the company seemed lonely and was empty. There were nobody in sight downstairs. It was a 10storey building. We were told that the elevators would not go to any other floor except to the ground floor and to the 10th floor. In the 10th floor is our workplace. It was told that the maintenance guys change the settings of the elevator in such a way to prevent unwanted access to different floors as customer's information is very private.

We quickly entered into the elevator and pressed on the 10th floor button. As we looked towards the main entrance, we could see a woman standing near the door and the distance from the elevator to the main entrance is not that far. Still we could see her standing there until the elevator door had closed. We were scared for a bit. But dismissed it for an hallucination caused my excitement. The elevator was covered with mirrors on the surface of its walls. So we could see our reflections everywhere. It felt like childhood memories were coming back as i always remembered myself talking to my self in the mirror or staring for hours at end looking at my reflection of myself when Suddenly...

The elevator stopped at the 6th floor and what we saw in the mirrors could only described as a woman dressed in a black dress staring at us and standing in between us saying only these two words "Let's Play". After that she gave out a terrifying laugh which only brought only fear into our hearts and souls. We were terrified beyond doubt. As we closed our eyes, we could feel the air getting colder and a smell of rotten meat began to spread. We just screamed and what do you know?. The elevator had reached the 10th floor in seconds and everything turned to normal.

As soon as we entered the floor, we saw a bunch of people working together and around them there was what appeared to be a circle made out of salt. They told us to get into the circle quickly as they meant to protect us from the spirits that haunted the building at night. As we were going to enter it, my friend was being pulled by the woman into the elevator and before i could run and pull him back. The elevator was already brought down to the 6th floor. I was scared and as my colleagues were just staring but they were too afraid. I quickly ran to them and asked them as to why this was happening and then one of them began:

"Actually there used to be a woman and a man who used to work here, they were always good lovers and good friends. They were good people. They loved to help others. But one day a couple of new guys began to start working here and they took a lot of interest in this woman and  the guy noticed this many times. Later, after a few weeks, it got out of hand when the small group of two or three guys entered the house and confronted the couple. The guy got furious and the guys just killed him and grabbed the woman and had their way with her and without knowing she died too. After a couple of years, the police arrested the guys and put them for jail for life and one of them mentioned that before the woman died she uttered some words. It was like a vow and that was that she would haunt the building forever and undo the wrong is being done or going to be done to others. From then till now she haunts these floors in the night and to protect ourselves we used this salt around us. But as you know two of our colleagues had to leave for a break and usually we carry some salt with us and we travel together but theses guys just jumped out of the circle and until morning they were driven mad and later they were admitted. So be careful and welcome to the night shifts".

After hearing this i was afraid of the result, but still i geared up with a torch light some salt and my rosary. Fortunately for me guy volunteered to join me. We both were scared to death but still i was glad to know that there is someone with me. Keeping that in mind i started feeling a bit brave. So both he and i started walking towards the elevator when the doors slowly began to open and the we could feel the air beginning to get colder and the darkness slowly creeping in. We were getting goosebumps. Still we entered the elevator and went down to the 6th floor. As we stepped out, the entire floor was covered in darkness. We began to hear voices come from different directions all around us and at the same time we could also hear things rattling, walls cracking and our heart's racing like the street cars in those racing movies.

We quickly lit our torchlight's on and moved the light across the floor and as i shined the light towards my right, i saw the woman staring at me with blood on her hands and she started to come towards me and with that fright i dropped the flash light and as my friend had turned towards me with his light, he couldn't see the woman anymore nor did i. We were frightened beyond doubt. But still we carried on to search for our friend and fortunately we found him unconscious in a corner. We quickly woke him and lifted him up from the ground. He was scared like i've never seen before. Still we calmed him down and brought him back to the elevator. But before the doors could open, we could see the woman stand across us at a distance. Just staring with her eyes just glowing and suddenly she began to smile in the creepiest way you can think of. We were just scared to death. We just jumped into the elevator and we could see her running towards us but the doors closed in time.

We quickly went up to the 10th floor and we stayed in the circle for the whole night. The woman was always appearing from different sides of it. We were just thinking about not working in the night but we couldn't stop wondering why the others wanted to work in the night. Well our curiosity finally made us ask them and their response was amazing. They wanted to escape the work during the day so they decided to work in the night and face the terror of the ghost than the terror of the boss. Still, from then till now we were stuck in the night shifts that actually once brought us happiness has now brought us something to haunt our dreams and our lives for the rest of our lives. 

© 2016 Darkswing


Author's Note

Darkswing
As mentioned previously. Please excuse the way i write and i will accept any feedback on this story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

192 Views
Added on September 9, 2016
Last Updated on September 9, 2016

Author

Darkswing
Darkswing

Secunderabad, Telangana, India



About
Greetings, I bid thee welcome, ladies and gents to know a little something about me. Here are some of the words you can use to describe me with : Solitary Author (In Progress) Horror Fanati.. more..

Writing