1946: The World's War

1946: The World's War

A Story by Corey Cole
"

World War Two, As Germany begins to wane, the unthinkable happens. Now The World itself, begins to wane as Axis and Allies must band together if either side hope to survive.

"
~Prelude: So it begins

War declared. Germany has invaded Poland with Adolf Hitler at the helm of the conflict, World War II was at hand. France and The United Kingdom respond, thus the world enters a state of turmoil. As the millions of frightful citizens enter a state of panic and aggression, a greater war brews. Far beyond the misshapen soil of Poland and Europe, the silence of our moon was disturbed. The most subtle vibrations and ripples throughout the galactic ocean, almost a echo of what many would think of as an eerie melody. As our bright sun shined, the pale moon was soon shrouded in a Intermittent darkness. 

The Escalation of World War II

Poland was occupied by Germany swiftly. The United Kingdom and France were powerless to stop them, as the years went on The Second World War had escalated. Humanity's war had reached all across Europe. Stretched across the globe, Asia, Africa even the oceans themselves had not become a victim of conflict.
The Soviet Union, Russia had been invaded by the pernicious ruler of Germany in an ongoing plot.
 Pearl Harbor attacked by The Empire of Japan! The United States of America, the sleeping giant had swiftly declared war on The Axis powers of Japan & Germany. The Allies consistent of many nations, The United States, Russia, The United Kingdom and many others. France had fallen to Germany's rule yet maintained a underground resistance. 


Chapter I: Axis Power

Adolf Hitler had much success in his rapid ambitions. Aggressive expansion and while justified in the beginning, it soon became apparent that the craving could not be sated. Not while other flags held high above his own. No ruler ship or competition could remain. Already at war with a vast amount of nations, Germany had taken the first step towards declaring war on The United States of America. 

In Berlin, a German military man by the name Walther Suerig was having supper with few comrades. Over the course of their meal, they discussed their ideals of hitler and while the conversation ended in heated controversy the abrupt interruption of their meal was a superior's deep, bone chilling vocals. Barking orders at the men as though the world hand ended. Walther Suerig was a tank commander, his comrades; its crew. Ordered to mobilize and suit up for battle, their weapon that the German war machine had provided them? The Esteemed Panzerkampfwagen VI 'Tiger' 

Although the German War machine and effort had begun to wane, Adolf Hitler was going to fight til the very last man. Sirens as loud as the ears could stand erupted across Berlin and much of Germany. Lights above the sky as flak cannons fired volleys of ruthless metal and explosives, attempting to knock each Ally plane from the sky. Stepping outside, the commander of his beloved tiger let out a vigorous cry for battle and haled with the might of the German army. 

SS officials began yelling among many German officers and their underlings, barking orders to every single form of the Army as though Germany itself had been fully invaded. The flame in Walther's heart began to dimmer. Listening intently. 

"The Soviets and Allies have somehow breached all lines of defense and surround Berlin! Their planes fly swiftly as never before and move freely across our sky! Our air! We have reports that The Luftwaffe has suffered tremendous casualties." 

Many men took a few steps back. Shock gripped the men. Even some of the most devoted and revered SS generals had been perplexed and suffered momentary hysteria. With shock and awe among their faces, the howling sounds of vigorous anti-aircraft fire. A single infantry recruit spoke out against his superior SS officer. 

"We should RUN! All of us! We are surrounded, The b*****d Hitler has lead us to our doom and The Allies have come for us!" 

Without hesitation the once devoted infantry man was shot in the side before he could turn to flee as his protest and warning escaped not only the mind but the lips as well. Streams of Soldiers began running down the streets in formations as did columns of Armored units. Sd.Kfz. 251 Half Tracks loaded with men, all manner of Panzers and towed Artillery. Shifting his eyes, Walther gazed upon the SS superior and signaled his men to mount up. With thunder beneath their feet, they scrambled for their Tiger tank. In astonishing time, the tank began to move with the rest of Germany's might. Assigned to western Berlin they set up just outside the city among a hasty created fortification. Awaiting the swarm of Allies. Among the chatter of his men, they established their fellow forces and the defensive line. 

MG Nests, deployed Artillery far behind them. Series of Tanks and Anti tank weaponry. A flood of infantry entrenched along defensive lines. Many looked terrified for in the distance they could hear the roar of gunfire, explosions and sounds that were just unable to be identified. They worried for their lack of air power but once in awhile in the night's sky, they heard a familiar engine. A Luftwaffe squadron or two as all reserves had been recalled to Berlin for the protection of their ambitious leader. 

Chapter II: Mass Hysteria & Unimaginable News

Meanwhile far from the newly formed front lines. Intelligence had been working even harder than the front line men in their rapid deployment. Information passed from one to another from one source and another. Soon, chiefs of communications and their commanders were informed of troubling news. Moments away from briefing Germany's head of state, Adolf Hitler; two communication officers peered through the glass outside the briefing room. They spoke quietly to one another, knowing that what they saw was nothing to praise about. For almost a hour the Anti-Aircraft batteries had been firing ruthlessly at the Allied Air Power. Little to no contact was visibly seen and no reports had come from any pilot in the sky. But that wasn't the worst. No bombs? No.. Pamphlets? No Propaganda? Nothing. Why would The United Air forces fly and risk their planes for nothing. Unless..

Their quiet chatter and pondering was ceased when Adolf Hitler and his fellows came barging through the hallway, Hitler shouting and barking orders as though he knew what to do before what was going on. Finally, all attendees were accounted for and the doors quietly shut like a prelude to the end. Sipping from a cup of goodness knew what, Adolf Hitler dropped his cup and it shattered inches away from his shoes now covered in a thicker dark liquid. After asking his chief to repeat what was stated.. the chief of communications whom was not in fact qualified or suited to be giving this briefing, but had been so due to the disappearance of the field's commanding officer. 

Clearing his throat. He spoke slowly and raspy, afraid of both the event and Hitler's potential reactions. A final breath was taken for he needed to summon the courage as did all of Germany in this moment of crisis. 

"..It.. Uhm. They, are not."

He paused but was under much emotional, mental and physical strain. Fear clicked the brain into place once Hitler's impatient yet apparent concerned expression pierced the man's eyes. 

"They are not The Allied Forces. We have communications from Moscow, Britain & Washington D.C. I'm afraid its worse, before that.. we were speaking to Japan and we.. we understand Japan has fallen but are not sure how. We-"

Slamming both hands down, Adolf Hitler erupted into a furious state. His face was flushed blood red in anger. Fear had erupted within him as much as anger. Intellectually he for a moment wondered if his subordinates had spontaneously lost their minds. Obviously this was the Allies, there are no other! But in actuality, he yelled in protest.

"HOW! HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW AN ENTIRE EMPIRE FELL!? EXPLAIN THAT! You mean to tell me our ONLY reliable Ally has fallen to The Allied Powers?! What did they drop a few million men into Tokyo over night and demand their surrender!? ALL of YOU, INCOMPETENT FOOLS!"

Anger had continued to manifest physically. Slamming the desk repeatably, kicking it and lashing out with both arms and spewing saliva among the uncontrollable outburst.

"We.. Also lost communication with The United States, Russia and Britain. We have local communications and have seen what the result of the objects in the sky have been doing. As it descended, an unidentified smoke began to appear across the surface. Whatever has been flying above us, its been dropping something. We've had reports of Mass Hysteria and Insanity once inhaled. Other Cities and fortifications have fallen as well to the enemy. Surviving Army and SS witnesses have determined the enemy are.. metal? their metallic in nature. Oddly shaped and twice the size of any man. Their fast and able to attack with the force of our greatest weapons. Field Marshal Rommel was killed in a resistance fight along with a entire SS Panzer division. My final report.. we have reason to believe that The Allied Powers are also under a similar attack at this very moment. My personal and strongest suggestion is to establish communication with The Allies and try to Coordinate with them."

During the speech and intake of knowledge, Hitler had began a series of shakes and taken the opportunity to sit down. The Leader that Germany and her people needed had taken a moment to truly grasp the situation. Screams outside and gunfire mixed with gibberish had only caused him to believe more. Shifting sights, he picked up a heavy neck at this time of pure pressure and glanced down into the streets of Berlin to see the confirmed smoke or fog and witnessed citizens running towards Gunfire. Many soldiers had taken it upon themselves to equip gas masks. Many of which were being rushed into The Reich Chancellery. Shaking his hands dismissively and nodding. Mumbles of 'yeah' had hardly escaped him. It was time to attempt to get more information and combine war efforts to this unknown threat. If,in Adolf Hitler's mind; the nation could hold out that long. 

Chapter III: The Aryan Race

Walther Suerig and his surrounding force had just recently engaged in combat. Metallic Objects from a distance it appeared. Explosions helped illuminate the night's inability to see. A moment of Pride struck the proud defenders of the line. A glorious roar of Thunder from the strike of a Tiger Tank hitting spot on with the object, the enemy. It did not get back up. Morale was increased immensely, the fighting had been recent but the news had spread that this was in-fact a new enemy. An unknown enemy. Their strongest worry was the fog, their unit was not supplied with the proper equipment for chemicals or gases. Many looked to Berlin behind them and kept watch for any signs of it as the rest continued to stem the iron tide. With Walther's now Camouflaged and entrenched Tiger tank, roar after roar of thunder's roars. The Roar of a Tiger was strong and devastating.

Streams of continual gunfire sprung from all across the line. No signs of flanking so this was a oddly enough, straight forward shot for shot fire gallery. Many of these things charged furiously, tall and intimidating but the men did not flee for their firepower was great. But few began to realize, the ammo was not unlimited. Walther was a good tank commander and had a proper mind, he requested a couple tanks and units attempt a flanking maneuver. Something he had personally waited for. 

Both eyes widened incredibly as a huge ray of pink-ish light fired with lightning speed and absolutely obliterated a nearby MG nest and couple squadrons of men. Atop the tank one of Walther's men using binoculars had all but briefly spotted the object in which unleashed the light. It was very wide and pale, it seemed to charge up the attack. The pink light swirled around for a few moments before being unleashed. Good to know, Walther intellectually contemplated.

Another spontaneous event! One in which made the men cheer incredibly and made Walther yell in determination. The sound of a Junkers Ju 87 or Stuka Dive Bomber. Its howl was like no other, they dropped their payload on the object that fired the pink light. Immediately shot down, one crashed into a fellow Tiger tank.. a great loss for the fortification. The Alien now dubbed 'tank' survived a dive bomber attack. How? Walther, now appointed defense commander, wondered. Furious knocking on the tank had not gone unnoticed as Walther tried to carefully monitor and execute this defense. He screamed for one of the men in the tank to acknowledge the knocking. Asked to come up through the hatch and hear this, Walther was just informed that his flanking maneuver was a success and the forces had established a momentary foothold. They'd destroyed what appears to be their infantry but lost many themselves. 

At the same time, screaming came from behind them all. The smoke was spotted. Now, now Walther froze. His object was to Defend Berlin. Eyes red from lack of sleep, stress and the exposure of immense heat from his tank. Rapid eye movements occurred while he fought a mental battle. Time seemed to slow down before him.. Screaming became almost silent while turning his head to the front line, looking far ahead to see the infantry being impaled by horrifyingly tall white machines that stood almost like humans. They had a single yellow glow in the center of what was assumed to be their head. Were these suits? Men inside them? Gods? Aliens? Perhaps... the true and foretold Aryan Race here to extract revenge for these pretenders by Hitler's leadership. Abandon his men or Abandon Berlin which was drowning in the smoke. Snapping out of it, Walther yelled loud to the point his voice cracked several times. Throwing his arm up, he swung around his right hand and signaling his men to form up on him. 

Closing the hatch, Walther gave the order to follow the flanked path he had formed away from the front line. His Tiger tank backed up and destroyed forestry beneath it. Many tanks were obliterated from behind as men got slaughtered during the retreat. The Artillery and its operators were abandoned and doomed. 

Explosion after explosion behind Walther's force. Only assuming the Death of Adolf Hitler and The Fall of The Third Reich behind him. It was now time to survive and make their own way. What remained of The Luftwaffe began to fall as the sun rose up. Planes falling to now what could be seen. Very small, fast moving objects in the sky. Planes, fighter planes were twice the size of them but far further up, large ships could be seen. Merely the bottom of them but they looked to the German army as the equivalent of a flying aircraft carrier. 

Insane Citizens cried and bowed before the supremely tall metal figures before being ripped apart or impaled. Other citizens, driven literally insane by the smoke had been running around killing one another. As one of the tall metallic figures walked by, it turned its foreign gaze upon one such insane human being. A SS officer who was repeatedly shooting another SS official in the end until the clip ran dry. But continued trying to shoot regardless. 

The Unknown Armies marched into the fog and vanished due to its density despite the sun. The Armies marched and marched until finally they stood in-front of none other than the

Reich Chancellery. 

Chapter IV: We need Help.    

The now called, Alien armies among the men; had entirely ignored the position of Walther's Band. They tried to rest for a moment, not even logically. They had to. Their entire world and belief in their leader, Germany herself, was shattered overnight from a slowly decaying war in which they still believed in winning, strongly. But now it was apparent that the only enemy was this force. After moving to a more secure location. This little faction now dubbed Walther's Iron guard, a small force consisting of barely a hundred men, 6 Tanks, 3 of which were Tigers and 3 Panzer IVs or, Panzerkampfwagen IV. 2 Towed Anti-Aircraft batteries, a supply truck and the rest infantry. They had enough fuel for some travel but not much. What they needed most of all was communication. 

Walther was seen sitting atop a log, letting loose a few human emotions. One of such was a subtle cry. Walther's driver, whom was his best friend in-fact; Herward trey had caught him and sat beside him. Offering him one of his lucky cigars. They spoke softly to one another and almost showed hopelessness. Unknown to them, they had been spotted by nearby villagers and many had brought baskets of fruit. Startled, the men shouted and pointed their guns. Many of the villagers trembled and dropped some fruit. Alerted, Walther and Herward came running. Yelling at his men to calm down and lower their weapons, reminding them that they are their people! We Are Germany's army. Some sneered and slowly lowered their weapons. Meanwhile, Walther gracious accepted their company and gift of food. The communications operator of Walther's Iron Guard shouted his name religiously, over and over. The Communication operator, Josef Kompch finally got his attention. 

Stunned to learn, Josef had established communications with a smaller airfield to the west, learning that France, now reclaimed yet hardly abiding the company of its German occupancy has held strong and Britain had just landed. It seemed the world had already begun coming together to conflict this very terrible threat. Instructed by Gerd von Rundstedt whom was now self proclaimed leader of Germany's Army and Resistance. The instructions were to make for the airfield for the accumulated forces to make for Paris and link up with The French and Britain. Walther heard many great things of the yanks, The Americans. He had hoped they would of been mentioned but some good news was given aside from a goal and reflection of remaining structure. Britain's immense fleet and ships are pounding the ground forces of these invaders. All available air force, between France, Germany and Britain are being mainly focused on defending the fleets. The level of firepower the battleships are providing coastal cities cannot be lost. 

Thus, the journey began slowly and carefully. Over time, the odd surviving soldier from nearby, obliterated divisions, cities or fortifications had linked up with Walther's Iron Guard. P.O.W camps were freed and after few incidents between the captors and captured, they were equipped and joined The Iron Guard. Few brief skirmishes occurred along the way but these were very brief. Two tall Metallic Aliens at a time, the Iron guard lost twice as or three times as many attempting to take them down but they were scavenged and loaded up. Hoping some tinkering or attempted research might help stem the tide. Over time through radio they learned that after the fall of Berlin and Germany, these relentless invaders headed east towards The Red Army. Some jokingly claim they can hear The Soviets Katyusha Rockets firing from even here. Although some kept it to themselves but truly did, knowing it was impossible but merely a mental state of fear. Wishing they actually had The Soviets at their backs now. What a comfort the sound would be over the quiet, brutal death of these invaders. Just recently during a night's drive did Walther doze off, hearing the roar of that Stuka Dive Bomber hitting that Alien 'tank' and the comfort he felt at its sound. Only to spontaneously wake to a thunderstorm and rain slowly cracking off the armor of the tank. 

With fuel being desperately low, morale plummeted. Scouts had confirmed abandoned and untouched caches nearby. Flicking his map as Herward smiled brightly, he leaped from the truck and extended his left index finger. Pointing at lightly dressed infantrymen almost at random. The last pick literally with him saying, and.. umm you too. He had an assignment for them as Walther watched from atop his tank. Having a devious little grin, shaking his head. Herward giving orders now, truly is the end of the world. Also he knew he had to leave the comfort of his beauty, now dubbed "Hitler's Revenge" which had deeper meaning. He could only conclude Hitler was dead.. but wondered if there was any chance he had survived somehow. But highly doubted it. 

Leaping down from the tank, he shouted for Herward. Asking what he was up to, after a brief explanation. He laughed while tapping Herward on the shoulder, stating he did a good job. After all, they needed fuel to reach the airfield. Until Walther gave him a good punch in the gutt. Herward went down hard. Gasping for air, he asked, The F**k did you do that for you crazy b*****d. The retort was of anger and yet, wisdom. You could of sent these men to their deaths you idiot! Men we need, now more than ever. You have NO confirmed intelligence about these supplies. Herward gasped for air and stumbled up, muttering about his scouts who confirmed it. Confirmed seeing crates still all roped up. Sure they had symbols that belonged to The Allies but who cares, rations, fuel, anything they could get their hands on and maybe even get the odd amount of fuel from a nearby vehicle. Walther punched him in the gut again and shouted, YOU'RE AN IDIOT. Herward gasped very badly this time but it was warranted. Almost yelling as though he was trying to discipline a very naughty toddler, he exclaimed; ITS PROPAGANDA PAMPHLETS you f*****g idiot! Having taken a moment, Walther walked away. 

Hours later, only two men made it back. Carrying a couple bits of food and the smallest amount of gas from another vehicle. Walther looked at Herward with hatred right now and shook his head. Knowing he'd just killed those men. 

But then suddenly rumbling gripped the ground, everyone was startled but for a mere second. These were The Iron Guard, everyone jumped into their tanks and or positions for defense. S**t, they had been caught and were sitting ducks. The tanks aimed at the curved road behind them, half of it covered by the overgrowth from a tree. The moment something pale came into sight, all forces would be directed to open fire. Walther's eyes settled for a second with a minor grin, soon few others did too as they recognized that kind of rumble. Sure enough, a few German Tanks and trucks came up the road behind them. The Iron Guard let loose a yell of comradeship. This surviving band had heard from many villages along the way of the now, famous Iron Guard and its direction. Luckily, they had plenty of fuel to spare and soon enough. The reinforced Iron Guard made its way to the airstrip and successfully made way without another loss. 

The Airstrip had turned into more than a Airstrip, it looked to very a monument of fortifications and standing in-front of the control tower atop the steps was none other than Field Marshal Gerd von Rundstedt. Commander and Chief of all German forces.

It had not gone unnoticed since the defense of Berlin and to this point of Walther's abilities of leadership. That evening he was promoted to General Walther. Immediately followed by a joke about there being so few now anyways which truly was of no disrespect to Walther. He had accomplished much. Walther's band was now officially a Division and rightfully so, despite it being quite nontraditional and unorthodox, he officially called Walther's Division, The Iron Guard Division. 


Chapter V: 1946! End.

The year had just turned 1946. Much in the way of news had come. The Aliens now were dubbed and called 'The Juggernauts' They had indeed capital ships that acted like aircraft carries in the sky. We've learned their small fighters can submerge and attack naval vessels but are immensely slower under water. Matching them with depth charges and submarines. Their airships seemingly cannot attack land. For some reason not yet discovered by intelligence of any nation, they are very slowly moving. Russia has lost Stalingrad and is slowly losing ground but fighting well. The United States and Canada are the strongest thus far and consolidating their power. With the aid of Germany, Italy, Spain, France and Britain, Paris and the surrounding regions hold. Operation: Our World War is planned to take place next year in 1947 in which Canada and The United States plan on sending an immense invasion force to Belgium and thus expand a Allied territory from France to Belgium and hopefully push onward towards Russia and aid them. 

Meanwhile, The United States has committed to mass production of Military equipment and improvements including some of the top research of their technology in hopes of unlocking some secrets. Also The United States has received and taken in the survivors of Japan in which had quite a naval force to yet offer in this fight. Countries such as Germany, Greece, Romania, Ukraine, Poland, Turkey, Norway, South and Central Africa, Korea and China have fallen. A small task force to reinforce Australia lead by The United States was just ordered a few months ago. 


Far from The Heavily Fortified Airstrip. 

A squeaky wheelchair begins to enter the room. His voice is deep, commanding and reassuring. He asks, do we know anything of him yet? Outraged, the secretary of defense says. Mr. President, Roosevelt, of all the things to ask. You ask about that piece of crap? President Roosevelt puts down his hand harshly on the table. Almost shouting back. Adolf Hitler! Possibly the worst ruler to ever come into power and what, we have no confirmation of him being alive or dead? The only thing we have is loose knowledge that they surrounded his seat of power. Tell me Mr. Secretary, what do you think Invading entities of another world who clearly want us dead could do with someone like Hitler who is well known for hating most of humanity except his own precious people. Perhaps he'll see these beings as his silly Aryan race he went on about. Maybe they want that, maybe he's one of them. We know nothing! NOTHING! That Lunatic could very well be apart of the enemy now... 

The President sighs and lightens up a bit. 

Or, he could be dead. We don't know, but we sure need to find out. Now. How did the experiment go? Is the weapon ready?

General Eisenhower smiles and nods. 

It is ready, two have been produced and are ready to be dropped. 

The President Smiles back and nods at Eisenhower; good good. Be ready to drop one on Berlin. The other one I want dropped on the large ship above Japan.

A young woman, but a very important woman accidentally lets loose a sound, escaping her delicate lips. Her face filling with something of a blush, embarrassment or pressure? It was clearly meant to contest the president's orders. None the less the damage had been done. All eyes on her now, mostly, Roosevelt himself peering over at her with a very unpleasant expression. Parting his lips, he questions the young woman. Something you wish to Add? 

With a gulp, she harnesses the courage to contest this. Given all that they know. You wish to bomb Berlin, take out as many as possible. Hitler especially if he's alive, there and forgive me sir but, as you believe.. supporting them. But the blast will...  what about That German General, perhaps the most experienced army personal, Tank commander and his Iron Guard Division. 

General Patton trades a distasteful glare with the President before the President says only this.

What about them? 


 To Be Continued!
 

 

© 2017 Corey Cole


Author's Note

Corey Cole
My first public story attempt. Based on a historic event, yet massively altered for the fiction sense. I'd like to first say all comments are welcome, positive, negative, compliments especially! I'm new to this and very ambitious to learn and write more. Any tips, advice or comments really are all appreciated. Also, please do excuse the grammar if there was quite a-lot of issues there. There is a part 2 to this story so if you liked it and are interested, stay tuned! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on January 10, 2017
Last Updated on January 10, 2017
Tags: War, Historical Fiction, Fantasy, Psychology

Author

Corey Cole
Corey Cole

Brantford, Ontario, Canada



About
My name is Corey Cole. I am twenty seven years old. I have two beautiful children, my daughter named Rayne and son named Revan. I am a stay at home father who has severe public anxiety issues since sc.. more..

Writing
Let Loose! Let Loose!

A Chapter by Corey Cole