The Hitchhiker

The Hitchhiker

A Story by Country Girl47

A young man was hitch hiking along the road. An old man pulled over and said, "Son where you headed to?" He replied, "Attica, NY, not far ahead, Sir." "Climb in son, I am, too." He began telling the young man about the railroad station there. How he used to jump on the train, but back then, he was young and did things he dared.

"Son, where you coming from?" "Just coming home from oversea, Sir." soldier replied. "Well son, I know how you feel coming back from there. I know that's one thing I can't deny. From what we have been through, it takes time to heal and some people it takes a lifetime," and then let out a sigh.

They arrived at the railroad station, half hour early. The soldier told how he couldn't wait to get home to stay. It has been over a year and hadn't even met his baby boy. They could hear the train whistle not far away. They watched the hustling and bustling of people in and out of the station, as the train finally arrived there. Soldier shook hands before he departed. The older man said, "Life may not always seem fair, and seem like people don't really care. Just remember one thing, you are a hero for what you did. You dared to put your life on the line to protect us back home."

They then saluted each other and said, "Semper Fi!" Never got together again, but that soldier always remembered that man that told him thank you.
We shouldn't forget to either.


9/9/14

© 2015 Country Girl47


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on January 16, 2015
Last Updated on January 16, 2015

Author

Country Girl47
Country Girl47

South Dayton, NY



Writing