Jade of Everen - Prologue

Jade of Everen - Prologue

A Chapter by Cousitarian
"

There once were Titans and Gods. Now, there are only Mortals.

"

Prologue


Friend, before you read any further into this particular tale recorded into the Olympian archives by the chosen of the dying gods, you should hear of a much more crucial tale. One that explains much of this land of ours, of “Jerome”, and how it came to eventually be passed into the possession of the “Mortals” today.


It started hundreds of years ago, away from the present diverse simple age experienced now, when Jerome once was a unified realm that was home to not merely one civilization, the mortals, but to two others.


At that time in the past, born from the very earth’s womb, there were the incredible “Titans” who were considered unparalleled champions. Easily, they could shift the very elements of the world. If a mountain stood in their path, they moved it. If the clouds were too thick for the sun, they cleared the sky to provide some light. If the oceans were enraged, they calmed the crashing waters.


Then, having fallen from where the stars rested above, alongside the titans were the wise “Gods” who were capable of miraculous feats too. Nonetheless, they preferred being the keepers of knowledge as well as order in their realms. Thus, through the gods’ efforts, the rules of unity, justice, as well as happiness were established. Afterwards, everyone followed these teachings. Today, everyone still does.


Titans were the vanguards of Jerome. Gods were the teachers. Of course, they were not alone. There were their thousands of subjects that praised them, mortal kind. Yes, at that ancient time when they had wandered from their caves, fragile mortals had not had the slightest importance throughout the continent. Nonetheless, they became the supporters of the land as well as the children of both the titans and the gods who, feeling heartened, accepted the many grateful gifts they were given by their helpers.


So, in Jerome, Titans acted as the guardians of the land. Gods inherited the roles of beings sages, tutors, aids of the province. Mortal kind became the praising citizens of the vast kingdom.


If it were not clear when master time started flowing, there was only improvement without hindrance in the beginning. The dawn of everything was a golden era where no one feared each other but, mortal and immortal alike, worked together to make a good world even better. Through their combined efforts, for nearly a millennia, profits, landscape, technology, as well as health, flourished as the result.


Yet, it is well known that prosperity as well as happiness cannot last forever. There must be some misery occasionally somewhere throughout the course of time. For where there is light, there will always be darkness and, in exchange for the near thousand years of prosperity, a truly ghastly event, one that would forever change all things then to how they are now, transpired for our ancestors.


In time, a war between titan and god ignited. Due to the mortals that praised them, due to an increasing feeling of jealousy towards one another, the two immortal civilizations engaged one another with an unparalleled fury. The titans felt that the gods were becoming too powerful and, inclined to set things right, they attacked. This conflict they started was recorded in the books as the “Purge”, the worst war of wars in Jerome’s history.


Over the course of the Purge, all that was known was twisted. The laws the gods crafted were set aside. The powers of the titans ruptured, ravaged, as well as scarred the landscape. The mortals, unable to really do anything, were caught in the immortals’ crossfire. For a hundred years, in decay, this was how the world remained. Epic cities crumbled into ruin, valleys became wastelands, rivers dried to nothing, and blood flooded the ground. There was no longer prosperity in that age; only madness.


Formerly inseparable allies, the titans and gods turned out to be the worst of enemies. Their fury made the land quake, the skies weep, the oceans thrash, and death rejoice. Eventually, an end to the deities’ feud had to come but not before the mortals had to choose sides, for it was the only certain way they could survive. Some joined the titans. The majority, though, rallied with the gods who, ultimately, came out as the victors of the hundred year conflict in the end.


Defeated, humbled, cornered, the remaining titans were sentenced to banishment from Jerome. This decree was later reinforced and, whether or not innocent, titan kind gradually faded from the world they had harmed.


Victorious, adored, yet weakened, the surviving gods were also involuntarily sentenced to a dreadful fate. Being too hurt by the previous war, they did not have the same influence they had had over the realm when at peace. Therefore, unwillingly, the gods eventually vanished also.


This left devastated Jerome with only the mortals as its residents and it would take a great deal of time for both to fully recover from their past plights. Together, mortality along with the land had barely survived the battle of immortality. Therefore, together, they did their best to become what they formerly were; maybe even more than that.


Thankfully, in the future after the Purge, only healing came without further destruction. Jerome’s green landscapes returned to full splendor. Being alone, the mortals still inherited the strength to begin the reconstruction efforts. As the wildlife returned to drink from the finally purified waters, mortal kind regained the courage to begin expanding out across the continent again. Thus, another hundred years passed where citadels, settlements, ports, farms, and such, were started as well as reclaimed. In another year, the age of mortality had begun.


Where there had been titans and gods, mortals only remained. They, although once unimportant, rightfully were the dominant power in Jerome now.


Yes, since the time the immortals’ war came to an end, the former insignificant race known also as Mortal Kind has come to be supreme these days. Since then, following their beliefs, they have not been just one kind of folk but a variety of species. Mind, the race named “Man”, having always been the most in population, is the most common sight throughout the provinces. They are the ones to usually hold power over others as well.


Like the titans showed them, mortals have shifted the earthen elements to suit their needs. Over rivers, they have built bridges. Through mountains, they have tunneled. To stay comfortable with the weather, they have constructed housing. From their expansions, three mortal provinces have been made. To the west are the grasslands of “Dunigue”, watched over by wise "Zeus". Taking up the south is the wasteland of “Seer”, helped by fatherly "Ra". Then, to the east, is mountainous “Everen” where more than one god acts as guardian of the many peoples there.


Also, like the gods taught them, mortals have followed strict laws that keep them on the right path of morality. Where one steals, they are punished. Where one needs something, they pay for it in gold. Where something is needed, it is worked for as well as earned. Where one kills another without reason, they pay the penalty with their own life.


Nevertheless, the current age is somewhat of a shame. Even though abiding rules, even after having hundreds of years to work out their differences, mortals are still unwilling to live peacefully with one another. One race, such as the “Centaurs”, have one too many feet for other peoples’ comfort. Another folk, like the sand wolf “Jackals”, are too animal for others to risk being around. As for the “Giants”, they’re much too selfish for others to possibly try and get along with them.


This arrogant attitude goes for all the many races today. Whether he or she be like enlisted above or a “Dwarf”, “Elf”, “Goblin”, “Minotaur”, “Satyr”, or so on, they merely focus on themselves these days. It’s becoming awfully closely similar to the dreadful days when their ancestors lived during the Purge. However, with the help of what remains of the gods, the repeat of such a catastrophe is always, no matter how close, avoided.


The Purge was a fight between immortals, not mortals. These days, the war of wars certainly serves as a reminder of what could possibly happen if mortality wanders too far off the correct pathway and into the surrounding darkness. Thus, it should not be repeated. Regardless, there are some sinister individuals, relics of the old times, that would attempt to bring such a calamity back into the realms and, in reply, the best of the world is brought forward to counter such possibilities.


The fable of “Jade”, for instance, is a very good example of such a thing. It shows the good traits Jerome can provide when hopelessness is too great.


There has always been a saying in the land. Where there is light, there is darkness. However, where there is darkness, there is also light and this speaks true for whenever a villain has appeared in Jerome. Where evil shows itself, good does too. Numerous times since god and titan faded away, enemies among mortal kind have risen up to take advantage of the desperate times. Simultaneously, champions have come forth to lead the oppressed peoples to a brighter future against the new enemy.


There has been a repeating, unyielding battle between good and evil since the Purge. That, simply put, has been the way of the world of Jerome. Tyrants show themselves. Heroes put them down. Such is the way of that which you were interested in reading in the first place, the story of Jade of Everen, before becoming distracted.


So, you have now learned what is crucially needed to understand that which you are going to witness. For a millennia, Jerome was owned by the immortals. Currently, the mortals own it. They experience occasional prosperity but, also, there is trouble in their lives too.


From the archives of the remaining gods, we present to you the story of Jade of Everen, where a youth of a rejected people unexpectedly found his great destiny among the eastern peaks in a simple river. Experience his feats as every Jeromian did and still do; in awe.



© 2012 Cousitarian


Author's Note

Cousitarian
Warning, this story is very multi religious as well as various. Anyway, I like the beginning of this certain story of mine because it basically tells you here that the only reason mortals worship so few gods now and no titans is due to this "Purge" war. Still, continue on.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Dude, that lore is awesome man haha Now I'm all pumped up to see what happens next!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cousitarian

9 Years Ago

Hah, well, I have been planning and plotting this massive world of Jerome since my middle school yea.. read more
Nicholas Hagenschneider

9 Years Ago

Hey man, I know how it is. Consider this, the story you have written so far is a skeleton, and when .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

322 Views
1 Review
Added on December 20, 2012
Last Updated on December 26, 2012
Tags: Dragons, Fantasy, Medieval, Heroism, Warriors


Author

Cousitarian
Cousitarian

MI



About
Not the best, not the worst, at writing. Not old but young. Full of inspiration, imagination but not enough experience to make it big. It's not the money I work for nor ever really will. What I do is .. more..

Writing
Prologue... Prologue...

A Chapter by Cousitarian


Preface Preface

A Chapter by Cousitarian