Giving Thanks

Giving Thanks

A Poem by Cousitarian
"

Sing, in thanks to your god. Eat, be merry also. Laugh, for that is right. Talk, there has been much done. Rest, you have earned it. Remember, you conquered a day today.

"

Giving Thanks


It was as everyone in the village quieted at the wide tables they were seated at, it was as the priest at the head of the dining hall purposefully bowed his head, that the air became purposefully quiet. Then, in turn, singing softly started from one corner of the room. Much like the eventuality of an avalanche caused by little force, perhaps addictive, the volume of the song spread until every person present had joined in with the happy harmony that thanked their god for the pleasant passing of another day.


Here and there, to and fro, together we’ve conquered the day.

Hustling and bustling, working and planning, much has been done this day.

But now in the distance, the sun has set and now we have earned a respite.

Into the hall we’ve come as expected.

And now we’ll share the bounties our labors have brought us this very good night.

Come, come, come everyone, our god wills for it so!

Come, come, come one and all, our god has blessed us grandly!

Yet, slow down, what is this? He says we’ve forgotten to bring the supper?

Then go, go, go we must to correct this blunder of ours!

Where do we go? What do we do? Ah, yes, we must do this and that.

You stoke the fires, I’ll visit the plantations, and others will search the orchards.

Now the supper is here but it’s not ready, so what can be done?

Cook the meats, fry the vegetables, and dine on the fine fruits in the meantime of course!

Also, throw on the forks, the spoons, the knives, the plates, and all else required.

And before you know it " hey, look at that! " the supper is ready to be started.

But wait, but wait, don’t eat anything yet! Prayers come first before eating!

So, we bow our heads, fold our hands, as well as close our eyes as we thank god for this dinner.

In respect, we thank the heavens for our food, our lives, our homes, as well as for this night.

And may good fortune continue to watch over us so that we may have another happy night!


And with that, the singing came to an end. Everything immediately silenced to allow the priest in charge to look upon everyone in gratitude. When finished silently thanking everyone who had joined him in song, the holy man gestured to the tables while he seated himself and, instantly, everyone began eating the delectable supper they had sung about. As they had musically described it, the dinner was delicious and their happiness was evidently abounds that night. They had conquered the day indeed and, thus, had were rewarded with a much needed respite.

© 2013 Cousitarian


Author's Note

Cousitarian
This idea - of a village singing their respects to their god - was inspired by other authors. In JRR Tolkien's (Lord of the Rings) and Brian Jaques (Redwall) works, there is song thrown in every so often. Thus, I thought, "Why not give it a try meself?" I hope you liked this. I feel it was worthwhile writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very Tolkien-esque; reminds me of some of the songs Sam sings when they're out and about, or when they ask him to sing when they're in Lorien. Well done :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yay folk songs. Good job by the way. Sorry, no critisism for this one. :) keep up the good work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Cousitarian

11 Years Ago

Oh, no criticism? I don't whether to feel relieved or a bit bummed on that. Either way, I hope this .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

265 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 3, 2013
Last Updated on January 3, 2013
Tags: Feast, Happiness, Fantasy, Music, Medieval

Author

Cousitarian
Cousitarian

MI



About
Not the best, not the worst, at writing. Not old but young. Full of inspiration, imagination but not enough experience to make it big. It's not the money I work for nor ever really will. What I do is .. more..

Writing
Prologue... Prologue...

A Chapter by Cousitarian


Preface Preface

A Chapter by Cousitarian



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Again Again

A Poem by Aly


Chime Chime

A Chapter by Silent Wolf