The List (chapter 1)

The List (chapter 1)

A Story by SuitedinPurple

Chapter 1:

                             "Informed"

I woke up a little jumpy this morning. Still got up and had my coffee and watched the news. I already decided to go to the bar tonight with questions. Maybe someone knows her. I finished my coffee, folded up my fold chair and put it in its usual spot, lent over in a 90° angle besides the TV. I got dressed, throw on my jacket and and left to work a few minutes early. I thought I should stop off at the little Convenience Mart at the end of my block. 

It's owned by this mid-20s kid. Here's a laugh, it's a little kiosk with a mini moat of grass around it. It's cylinder shaped and bright lime green. It's been here for a few years now so it's safe to assume that it's successful. 

I grabbed a newspaper for the funny section, a premade chicken salad sandwich and a water for work. Something about how this kid makes it, that I can't help but to get one for lunch. Its cut into perfect triangles, the chicken salad doesnt fall out the side when biting into it and the chicken salad isn't to seasoned. It's the pleasures of simple things. The things that keep me sane during my shift. 

The day seemed usual. A Light breeze. The air smelled fresh, close to the smell of grass that was covered in dew from the night before. There wasn't much thought needed when walking to work, just, embracing.

I finally reached work. I said Hello to those in near by cubicals. Work was simple. Search for stories, get the facts, spice it up a bit and show it to the publishers. I am freelancing journalist, been doing this for a few years now. I'm just renting the space so I could keep work and home separate.

It was time to get comfortable. I put my lunch in my little fridge that I have tucked under my desk. I also have this cool coat rack. Wooden body and stainless steel hooks. 

I hung my jacket up, pulled my work chair out then took a seat. I had a few ideas for articles to search but staying focused was a bit difficult. I slapped a few keys and noted a few sites, then got started on "The Don Corleone of 2025". I was pretty excited for such a lousy cover line but I always knew tag lines like that draw the eye. 

Truly, the story was about a city politician. Apparently he was running the drug trade as an alias and had half the police force under pay roll. Pretty genius if you ask me. 10 years the police was looking for this guy and he was under their nose the whole time.

Makes you think. How many of the people around you were under his control. Unfortunate for him, his rain of power is over and this article, will be another hit.

After the research and the outlines and the drilling of paragraphs, it was time for lunch. I went to my little fridge and pulled out that flawless chicken salad sandwich that I've been dying to eat since this morning. I locked my computer screen and headed toward the break room. 

As I walked, I felt a bit of a turn in my stomach. I figured I was just hungry and slightly hydrated. I grabbed the door handle, gave it a twist and a soft push. I gave my watch a quick glance as I walk in but I was interrupted by a loud slam. I did jump, which then quickly changed to a whole body shock. I couldn't believe my eyes and even worse, I couldn't move my body for a moment. I literally just walked into the bar. Without a second thought, I turned for the door knob and clenched it with both hands. I snapped the door handle, it seemed like, before the door gently opened; To where I proceed to frantically fall back into work. Right onto Jane. 

Poor Jane. She had an obvious obsession with sundresses. All colors and designs but today she wore a white blouse with black khakis. Once the door slammed shut, I shot up from the floor and ran to my cubicle. In the distance I could hear Jane, crying and upset.

No matter, I had to get back to the bar. I got back into my cubicle, I tugged the drawer open and grabbed my keys, along side my wallet. I yanked my jacket of the coat rack. It even fell and knocked a few things off my desk. I didn't care. My heart was racing. My temples pulsated. My breathing was irregular. My first self diagnosed panic attack. 

I needed a second to think. To collect. I probably ran 5 or 6 blocks in a direction I've never been before. The street sign only had one visible name on it. Neos road. The other was worn. I didn't realize how different the city looked just a few blocks over. 

There was buildings that were partially boarded up and the rest were damaged windows. Right across the street were a few houses but they didnt look to well ether. Regardless, I had to get to the bar. 

I walked back the way I came. By the time I made it to The Law, the day was almost over. I was hesitant to walk through the doors at first but, I had no choice. My heart started to race again as I place my hand on the door handle. I lent in and pushed the door open. 

It was a relief to see the regulars. To see Sam, the bartender. I walked right up to him. Malachi, "Hey Sam, how's the night treating you my friend?" Sam being his usual self said, "Hey Malachi, Dude! What's up man? How are you? I'm just here, working." 

I felt bad just jumping right in but I just wanted to go home and sleep. Malachi, "I'm okay. Been, trying to handle something's. I have a question for you though; Who were those strange people in the bar last night? And where were you?" With confusion Sam said, "Are you okay man? Because You weren't here last night. I actually was going to give your house phone a ring."

I didn't know what to say. I just plopped myself down on a bar stool. Confused, mostly. I shoved my hands in my pockets. With out second thought, Sam brought me my drink. Sam, "Looks like you've seen death man. Lighten up." I looked at him with a straight face and just shrugged. I took one hand out my pocket to grab my glass of blue label and what followed was my keys, my wallet and that piece of paper.

I completely forgot to toss this paper away several times already. I picked it up off the floor and throw it on the bar next to my glass. I grabbed the glass and took a swing. It was always the first shot that ever got me. It was harshness. Reminded me of the feel of smoking a cigarette. The quick, yet satisfying, burn that coated the back of your throat. 

I noticed Sam walking back towards me; I dont know why I've been so sketchy recently but I grabbed the paper and clinched it as Sam got there.

Sam, "What Cha Got there bro? Looks like a little love note. Wooo. Was that where you were yesterday? Haa!"
And I said, "No Sam. It's just, an old reciept."
I looked down at my hand and come the think of it, it's an old reciept that won't escape me. I looked up to see Sam catering to a customer, so, I decided to opened the crumbled piece of paper. 

At first, I thought I was lugging a round a receipt, until I opened it. All there was, was one name on it. With the number 15 next to it. Maybe the lady from last night was trying to give that other bartender her address and was to drunk to finish.

I couldnt make a single conclusion to what came of me last night. It had to have happened. 

I look over at my drink to see how much was left. Then looked up at the mounted TV, which was right above the liquor. They also always had the news on, and well, another death in the city. What a surprise. 

(Being watched on the TV) News reporter, "And other news, a sudden death reported in Chire apartments. A man of 27 years of age; A Mr. Ryan Lord, was found dead on his apartment floor after a severe heart attack..."

Wait a minute; that name looks familiar. Was that? I jumped, grab the paper and looked at it. I WAS RIGHT! The name on the paper; the name on the TV, their the same. The number next to it, It's a zero. Did, I have the time to her, death? I was quickly snapped out of a daze with a glass being placed in front of me. I looked up to see Sam giving me a wink for the drink, on him I would assume. I decided to take a quick piss break. Maybe a relax bladder will relax the mind. 

I pushed myself away from the bar top and walked to the bathroom. On the walk, I saw Charles and Rick at the end of the bar, hovered over the virtual casino machine that's attached to the bar top. Their here all the time. Best friend since high school. They can literally finish each other's high school stories. I know from experience. 

One thing I always did, was read the graffiti on the bathroom door. They allowed it, which was great. Gave the place, character. At this point, I feel my blatter about to explode. I hit the bend and push the door open. The light was flickering but I knew the bathroom well. I ripped my zipper down, slapped a hand again the wall and, relaxation. My body even gave a quick shake that I released with a small kick, zippered up and went to the sink to wash my hands. 

As I turn the Faust on, the bathroom went dark. I tried the light switch but it didn't work. "Malachi"
Holy s**t! Someone is in here. I tried the light again and with a flash, I was blinded. 

"Malachi, listen to me, you've been chosen. The paper will have 2 more names presented on it. You're job is to help them pass away. If you do not complete the job assigned to you, If you reach out to others about this job, the consequence will be paid with your life. You may have one question, make it good."

[To myself] What? I can't see, the air feels heavy, I don't know who this is and this person wants me to kill? Oh God. My whole body feels like it fell asleep. I'm panicking, relax Malachi. Breath. Okay, I was chosen, there are two more people and I have to do it alone, or I die. Question. I need a question. 

"Malachi, pay attention. This isn't a game."

With a slight hesitation Malachi responded, "Okay, I have a two part question. Can I do that?"

"Maybe, ask."

Malachi, "why and how?"

"I will tell you whats necessary. You soon will be my successor. You have the ability to think, and cause death. Be careful. Be responsible."

And with that said, everything went back to normal. The air felt light, my body felt relaxed. It was almost euphoric

I walked out the bathroom like I was on a mission. My walk was almost primal. Energy was coursing. I walked back to my seat and took back the rest of my drink. The burn right before it hit my stomach calmed me down. I waved Sam over and ordered one more drink. 

[To myself] I, have to kill. Malachi, can you handle this? Wait, what am I talking about? Can I? I have no choice. My life is on the damn line. 
Alright. Let's take a step back. I have to kill. I have the names. THE NAMES. 

I never worked so fast to do anything before. I lifted the paper in eyes view. There is was. The next person. Leona Baker. 2,880.

© 2017 SuitedinPurple


Author's Note

SuitedinPurple
please leave good advice. thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
Added on July 6, 2017
Last Updated on July 6, 2017
Tags: horror, suspense, thriller

Author

SuitedinPurple
SuitedinPurple

bethel, CT



About
Books. Movie scripts. Music. Film and Photography. Always looking to work with people. more..

Writing