Speak to Me

Speak to Me

A Story by Hales
"

A little rough, but I did try it out!

"

It all started with a letter. An unlined paper. A blotted, tormented, overused, overwritten letter. The ink had run out in several places and you could see the indentations of the letters that he could not write in the margins.

The scratched out lines a-many, the ink rush as he hurries to get everything down.

Adrenaline pumps as I read what he tried to hide, as I seek beneath the lines and decode.

What he has written must’ve seemed inadequate to him, but was not to me. Cadences of more poetic times flowing, beauty in every syllable. He told me of simplicity, of life in titanic, billowing terms. He spoke to me directly, in a voice antique and deep—a voice that carried the wisdom of years, and a regal masculinity that could not be reproduced.

He conjured up memories of things I knew not of, but had imagined, things that were marvelous and unfamiliar, and everything in between.

As I flipped the crumpled page, the eternal words stopped to a halt. Instead, a polished poem was scrawled hesitantly. Traces of indecision lined it, but I didn’t care. I continued on.

You awaken my heart with your beauty

You beat life in my veins as I look to you

This feeling unheard, unfelt, inexperienced,

Life feels alight with passion anew

 

Your loaded words as you speak to others

Your flawed soul; so imperfect and right

Your caring tone floats in the wind

Lean out your window and speak to me tonight

 

You’re my addiction,

My curiosity and drive

My hope-filled delusion

You’ve kept me alive

Just lean on the sill

Whisper into the darkness

I’ll listen all night

Murmur secrets into the night’s abyss

 

My love,

My passion,

Don’t be afraid

 

I will protect you

 

Leave and I will miss you

Bleed and I will mend you

 

Just allow

A chance

For us

 

Lean on the white sill

And sing your beauty to me

Give you my soul—I will

Give you my heart: you have the key

 

Just lean

Rest your head on my sleeve

Just give me a sigh

To release and relieve

 

My sweet addiction

My heart palpitates

Speak tonight

Halt my heart’s frenzied rate

 

Speak now

And leave me in pieces

Love me

And leave me in peace

 

I was stunned. Words could not form on my tongue, thoughts refused to shape themselves; my palms sweated with anxiety, my heart raced with—love.

 

One unconscious thought came through; open the window.

 

The night bit my undeserving flesh as I leaned—how he wanted—this passionate stranger and he spoke to me.

 

He recited the second to last verse of my poem; “my sweet addiction, my heart palpitates, speak tonight, and halt my heart’s frenzied rate.”

 

I spoke.

 

He listened silently as I poured my thoughts onto the examination pallet. I heard the unsaid tone of his voice, and was comforted.

 

He spoke up, only once, and I heard the ancient voice—weighed by tormented love. He spoke to tell me he was leaving, but that he would be back the next night.

 

It all started with a letter, this love. I lean on his sleeve, my heart thumping madly, as I stare into his timeless eyes. I sigh, out of pleasure, out of lovely agony, and thank that blotted letter that I received.

 

© 2009 Hales


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"You're my addiction,

My curiosity and drive

My hope-filled delusion

You've kept me alive"

possibly my favorite lines I've heard in a while. (:

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ATG
I really liked this. It was very interesting and very well written. You made each of your words have a purpose. I also liked how you combined a poem in with this story and made the poem the letter. It was very clever and very creative.

Posted 15 Years Ago


yea....I cried while reading this so...yea. I love it.
It's amazing how you put so much emotion into what you write and I can feel it jumping out and touching my heart.

beautiful

Posted 15 Years Ago


yea....I cried while reading this so...yea. I love it.
It's amazing how you put so much emotion into what you write and I can feel it jumping out and touching my heart.

beautiful

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is very inspiring. I love any thing that makes me want to create something beautiful and thats just what this is. I think thats what poetrys job is to make people love , to open hearts, to have emotions acknowledged throughout our existance. you've hit the nail right on the head.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 6, 2009

Author

Hales
Hales

Frederick, MD



About
Hey everyone! This is me; a writer 15 years of age, poetry lover and bibliophile. I love writing short stories and poems, oftentimes getting completely absorbed in my "own little world". I am currentl.. more..

Writing
Taste Taste

A Story by Hales


From Him to Me From Him to Me

A Poem by Hales



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..