Silent Catharsis: Real Men Love Jesus

Silent Catharsis: Real Men Love Jesus

A Story by CreepyKin
"

This is a glimpse into the life of paunchy introvert Ernie.

"

Save for the bumper sticker cracked and peeling from the blue sheen of his truck’s rear bumper, Ernie showed no indication of his devout faith. He loved Jesus and Jesus loved him, and, save for his weekly attendance in church, it is all he needed.

He was large and shy, averting his gaze from the eyes of others, even when tending a greeting. The sense of obligation was stronger than his will to just ignore all living souls and keep walking. Going through the motions at work, ascending the stairs of his building; his walk was lamed by shuffling small steps.

Approaching the door to his apartment Ernie carried an armload of fast food up to his apartment, he felt a relief wash over his heart knowing that this trip he managed to avoid running into his neighbors. The fear of others was compounded with awkwardness thanks to the building’s narrow hallways.

His anxiety was beginning to quell until he heard the clacker of a lock echoing. The hallway began to close around him. While his heart tightened, a thick layer of sweat formed on his brow. At the other end, between him and his apartment, appeared from a doorway, the thin figure of Cruz. Ernie froze momentarily before continuing the meek shuffle; one foot in front of the other. His eyes began to gradually descend toward the floor.

Forcing the stuck key out from the lock with three hard tugs, Cruz backed away from his door and turned toward Ernie. A smile grew on the thin man’s face, which Ernie could not see with his eyes downtrodden by his fearful heart. Passing each other, their backs pressed to the opposing walls, the sweet fragrance of the thin man’s clove cigarettes mingled with the oily odor of Ernie’s fried cuisine. Cruz tended a cheerful, lisped “Hello, how are you?” to his portly neighbor. To which Ernie retorted with a meek, soft reciprocation.

Cruz and Ernie had been schoolmates once, so they saw one another grow up. They shared courses, lunch hours and bullies. Yet, they never shared an intimate fellowship. At some point in the midst of their adolescence Cruz came out as gay. This had never bothered Ernie for Jesus had told him to love everyone. And so Ernie loved Cruz just as Jesus told him to; just as Jesus loved every man.

Safely in the coziness of his immaculately kept domicile Ernie set himself on the couch opposite the television. Surrounded by the mementos of his quiet, unassuming life, the shy man produced the food items from the oversized paper bag. Upon his coffee table, he gently laid each of the wrapped portions side by side.

Passionately Ernie dug into the first of several cheeseburgers. With his free hand he clicked the television to the Jesus channel. With the comfort of the word reverberating around him, he once again buried his feelings in a night of ardent sloppy joy.

© 2012 CreepyKin


Author's Note

CreepyKin
I'm planning to make this the first in a series of short shorts (flash fiction) under the title "Silent Catharsis."

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on October 7, 2012
Last Updated on October 8, 2012

Author

CreepyKin
CreepyKin

Ontario, CA



About
Underachieving and squandered misanthrope. Writer of simple stories with a somewhat fantastical tinge. more..