Magic

Magic

A Story by Kinsey
"

Short story. Magical. I'm working on a middle and an end.

"
      Once upon a time there stood a rock. This particular rock was shaped like a young woman bent on one knee, on the verge of standing. Or maybe she was kneeling. Her fluidity all depended on individual perspective. The bottom of the rock could have been a skirt ending just at the ankle. A small gap at the bottom casting a thin shadow. The very end of a small pond collected in that shadow. She was situated atop a hill overlooking a beautiful and sweeping landscape. More greens than nature seemed capable of producing in a million years. Tendril vines, moss dotted with impossibly colorful flowers that bloomed with the breeze, pixie winged insects, pastel flora splashed with sparkles of light. Flying twinkles flew by in small clouds, riding waves of wind, chiming in the distance. Creatures much closer, wandered, leaving behind not a trace, on wings of their own. A small brook ran around the valley surrounding the rock. What a sight to behold! Toadstools and curly caps dotted the bank. The water itself seemed to be the edge of a magical barrier protecting everything in the view of the rock. No dark was capable of touching this place. For good ruled in the land. 
     ~NOW~
     Maddigold ran as fast as her feet could carry her. Laughing, laughing until she was winded beyond words. And just when she should have fallen to the ground in a tumbling heap she stretched out her wings and took to the air.  Swooping left then right in a long, narrow spiral she climbed in altitude until she was skimming the lush treetops. The air whipped her hair and the heat from the sun warmed her skin. The bright white clouds and the glare off the water below made Maddigold's eyes ache with sharp needle jabs. She squinted as wide as she could trying to stop the watering tears. She was never happier than when she was her true self. Hiding her wings always made her sad and this was the one sure way to fix that.
     She had only been flying for a few minutes before a shadow began to loom over her and the trees. A giant wall of thick, dark green thorn-covered branches curling and trailing around each other formed a dense barrier between the girl and the rest of the forest. She circled back and looked down at the small pond that hid a secret path past the thorns. It was the only spot in the entire wall that could be crossed without needing a spell. She slowed her speed and lowered herself on to a flat rock. Peering through a small doorway window covered with iron bars, on the other side of the wall Maddigold spied his figure in the distance walking away. He would be back tomorrow. He never stayed away for long. He was too eager to see the other world.
     Humans were not welcome in Maddigold's land. And vice versa. The war that took place between the two lands 100 years ago saw to that. Humans started out working well with the fairy royalty and other creatures. The tree-folk, the giants, even the trolls and the elves.  Trading became very common across the realms. Until humans became too greedy. 

© 2016 Kinsey


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed the image you painted with your words. I loved tje opening description of the statue, simply brilliant!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Nice magical influx...I kind of like the idea of war with humans. So I'm guessing there could be little action...all in all, I like it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The story holds a magic like its title. I was completely lost into that world while reading. Amazing story, keep going :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this piece of writing. It was brilliant! The beautiful and flowing description, overlaid with a fairy tale setting was wonderful. You have so much talent, please keep writing :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kinsey

8 Years Ago

Wow, such nice words! Thank you for the confidence boost. I'm working on the next part right now. :)
J.Michele

8 Years Ago

I am looking forward to it x :)
Wow, you transport me to this magical setting. I am waiting to see the rest pls keep going.You are so good at showing rather than telling!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kinsey

8 Years Ago

Thank you! That is very nice praise. Working on the next part now.
This has a very mystical vibe to it. Of course, there is much more to be added.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kinsey

8 Years Ago

Working on the next paragraph or two. Thank you for reading it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

324 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 30, 2015
Last Updated on January 6, 2016

Author

Kinsey
Kinsey

OR



About
I just want to be a published author one day. Even if its only one book. I want to hold it in my hands, see my name on the cover, hope someone else reads it and that it takes them to a new place. more..

Writing
Wandering Wandering

A Story by Kinsey


Moments Moments

A Poem by Kinsey