Chapter One- The Call

Chapter One- The Call

A Chapter by Crystyn .M. Brooks
"

Elizabeth receives a call from her brother who she hasn't heard from in a very long time. He tells her that lately, he's been needed at the Hospital a lot, so he asks if she can fill in as...

"

Chapter One


I slump against the counter, staring out the window at the village I call home, Castle Combe. It's a beautiful village with small but clean streets, charming cottages and stores, and absolutely beautiful scenery. There's  river that flows through the town, Luckily my shop is placed close enough to get a lovely view of it. As always, when I stare out this window I always find myself thinking, what if I could do more in life? More than just being a young woman, running her own bookstore in a small village where nothing changes. I do love my life the way that it is, but I still feel like something is missing...



The front door silently opens, the door chime rings, grabbing my attention. My instant reaction is to say, "Welcome to Castle's Books and Library. Is there a title I can help you find today?" But as soon as I notice that it's not a customer, that It's actually my coworker and best friend Cassia.

"You're late." I ay dryly.

She instantly smiles, knowing that I can't be mad at her for too long. "Oh, don't be silly! I'm not that late!"

"You're late by an half an hour... So what was your reason this time?" Crossing my arms, I lean against the back counter, where a few small piles of books are placed.

"You wouldn't believe the morning I had! I got up, spilled coffee on my favorite blouse, so I had to completely change into a new outfit! Then I ran out of time to pack my lunch for today, so I went to Chester's to get lunch instead. After I had ordered, the poor guy who was at the register started making a fool of himself. All I asked him to do was to ask the cook not to put any tomatoes in my salad, and instead he tries to get the manager, trips over himself, and knocks into the manager himself who was holding a few cups of soda. Their white shirt were stained brown and orange from the drinks, it was such a riot!"

Chuckling softly, I find myself agreeing with her. "Sure does sound like it!"

"Yeah, and to make up for being late as always, I had bought you lunch. It's your favorite, a Rueben with a pickle slice and chips."

"You're seriously are the best."

"I know," Cassia laughs. "I'll be right back, I'm just going to run to the backroom to put our lunches away and grab my name tag." As she quickly strides to the backroom, I decide to take the two small piles of books and run them to their appropriate shelves. These go to the shelves that belong to the library portion of my store. Quickly but carefully, I place the books in their appropriate spots. After placing the very last book, my cell phone starts to ring.

Pulling it out of my pocket, I yell back to Cassia, "I have a call I have to take, watch the shop while I'm out!"

"Okay!" She yells back. I accept the call and step out of my shop, out onto the street.

"Oh, isn't it my favorite sister!"

I smile at this voice, rarely do I ever hear from him, my brother Johnathan. "Ah, and you're only sister! So John, why are you calling?"

"Elizabeth, there is no need to sound so serious."

"Well you never call, or even try to visit me..." I grow silent.

"I'm sorry... I should have tried to see you more, to talk to you more..."

"John, I don't want to hear it... Now please, why did you call?" I cant have this discussion with him again. Nothing ever changes, but I can't blame him. We're both adults with our own lives...

"I need to ask a favor from you." His usual cheerful voice grows serious.

"What is this favor?"

"You know my work partner, Sherlock Holmes, right?"

"Everyone knows him, he's famous throughout England!"

"Yeah, well the Hospital I work at has been very busy lately... It seems that I'm always being called into ER. And this huge case has came up, and I don't think that Sherlock can solve this alone... As stubborn as he is, I have gotten him to agree that you would help him on this case, that is if you want to..."


Working with the Sherlock Holmes. Of course I would love nothing more than to be his assistant in place of my brother. "How long would I be his assistant for?"

"it's hard to say. It can be anything in between a few days, to weeks.... Maybe even up to a month..."

"A month!" I scoff.

"Maybe. I'm not sure. Each case takes a different amount of time to be solved. Some right away... Some not."

"I can't leave my shop for that long!"

"Why can't Cassia just watch the shop while you're gone? It will raise her work ethnic." John chuckles.

"Fine... I'll have her look after the shop, but as soon as something goes wrong and I hear about it, I'm coming right back home." I say firmly.

"Okay! Well I'll see you tonight then!"

"Tonight?!" I scoff.

"Yup! See you then! I'll text you the address! Bye!" John ends the call quickly, knowing he is in trouble with me for this sly trick. Seconds later, my phone dings. It's the address. 221B Baker Street.

I was expecting a day or two from now. I should have asked earlier into the conversation. Frustrated, I shove my cellphone into my pocket and walk back into my shop, the bell once again ringing behind me.

Cassia walks out from behind a bookcase, pushing an empty book cart. For once, She has actually put the returned library books away without me asking. For once, I start to believe that John is right. Cassia can take care of the shop without me.

"You look irritated." She states the obvious. "What did he ask for this time?"

"Nothing bad actually... He has been very busy at the hospital lately, so in his place, he asked me to be Sherlock's partner until he's able to do it again."

Cassia's eyes grow wide. "Sherlock's Partner! That's amazing! Please tell me that you're going! I'll watch the shop while you're gone!" She can barely hold her excitement in. She hasn't been this excited  since last years Christmas party, during the shop keepers white elephant gift exchange.

"Great! I was planning to ask if you can anyway."

"So how long will you be gone, and when do you leave?" She asks.

I nervously laugh. Cassia surely isn't going to like this one bit. "John says I can possibly be gone for up to a month, but the longest I'll stay is two weeks."

"And?" Cassia frowns, already not happy with my answer.

"He's expecting me to come tonight. I agreed to coming before he had told me when..." I hold my breath, waiting for her to say something. I understand if she doesn't want to do this for me, with it being last minute and all...

"That slippery snake." She hisses. "Okay... I'll watch the shop, but on two conditions."

"What would these conditions be?" I hope they aren't too ridiculous.

'First, When you see John, tell him his Ex is thoroughly pissed with him not giving a sooner heads up, and that he should give me a call so I can chew him out myself. And secondly," Her attitude completely changes to excitement, "Please oh please get me an autograph from Sherlock!"

"I'll make sure to let John know." I chuckle. "and as for Sherlock, I'll try to get an Autograph for you, but no promises. From what John and gossip channels say, he's very stubborn."

"As are you. I can already picture how interesting your next few weeks will be... You should get going. It's probably best for you to get to London before dinner."

"Good idea." I murmur. "Are you sure you'll be fine with the shop?"

"Yes, now go! The next train out of this town should be soon. You should go home, pack, then get to that train."

"Will do." I hug Cassia, and happily say, "Thank you."

"Anything for you."

Grabbing my purse, I run towards the Cottage I call home. Luckily, it's only a two minute walk from the shop. I get there quickly, fiddling with they keys as I'm unlocking the front door. Add quickly pack everything I need, giving my cat Boots quick kisses on his soft forehead before running back out and towards the station.


With only minutes left before the next train, I by my ticket to London, and get to the platform. The sound of a train whistle catches my attention. I look in it's direction and find a slowing train. A gust of wind created by the train as it slows knocks into to me. I hold my place firmly, refusing to be knocked over by the wind even just slightly. When the train actually fully comes to a stop, and the doors open so it's new passengers can go in, I quickly make my way up to the train and get onto it. I Find a comfortable booth by a window in the middle of the passenger cart I had gotten onto. There are a handful of others on this passenger cart already, seated, And a few more join in, quietly taking their seats away from others. I safely tuck my luggage underneath the table, making sure to pull out a book from my bag to read during the two and an half hour trip.

The ticket inspector comes by, checking tickets, punching a diamond shaped symbol into each ticket. I run my finger over the perfectly cut, diamond shaped hole. I slip my ticket into my purse for safe keeping. As my attention is drawn back to my book, the train starts moving, slowly pulling out of the station and out towards London. As I read about the romance between the two main characters of the book, the world around me disappears...



© 2017 Crystyn .M. Brooks


Author's Note

Crystyn .M. Brooks
The first chapter might not be as exciting, but the chapters that are to come, are exciting.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on October 10, 2017
Last Updated on October 31, 2017
Tags: Watson, Sherlock Holmes


Author

Crystyn .M. Brooks
Crystyn .M. Brooks

Hagerstown , MD



About
I love writing fiction, one day being a successful author is my dream. I want to share my stories and ideas to the world. Writing is my passion and I hope all who read my stories can see that, and app.. more..

Writing