Lucien and the Goddess

Lucien and the Goddess

A Chapter by Crow Splat

    Lucien had spent the past few days in the village of Reikenhoffe. Heinkel had shown him around the first morning and the villagers, although visibly curious, were pleasant enough.When he went on walks through the town square the dwarf children would dance and play around him, trying to goad him into participating. Every time he would decline politely, with a smile. The destruction of feth’Irani still weighed heavily on his thoughts, as well as the mystery of e dwarf Heinkel, who forged elvish blades with a masterful touch.


    The hour had grown late this evening and the fire in the hearth had dwindled to a pile of cinders when Heinkel spoke. “And how are you feeling this evening, boy?”

    Lucien only responded with a faint grunt. They had this conversation every evening since Lucien had been transported to Heinkel’s home. He wondered if heinkel would ever tire of this game.

    “Still silent eh? Well, perhaps a story tonight.” That last bit caught Lucien’s attention enough for him to turn his gaze away from the dying fire. “What do you know of those blades you carry?”

    “Not much, it would seem.”

    Heinkel gathered the three blades and laid them out on the bear hide rug near the fire. “Thivir b’elv Korel. The Truth of the Stars.” Heinkel gestured to the paired blades that Lucien had wielded in his many duels in the Circle. “These beautiful sisters were not always swords. Long ago, at least long before any creature alive today walked this world.

    “There once lived an elven sorcerer named Thir’Eveth, whose obsession with magical power consumed his every waking thought. He traveled across this world and many others in pursuit of ancient knowledge, much of which is best left forgotten. Through his travels, he learned to harness the power of the stars to fuel his magical powers. In the pinnacle of his research, he captured the energy of two stars within the gems set within the the haft of these blades.

    “One gem, called Oreth’Korel,  contains the power of a star at the moment of its birth. The other, Athir’Korel, holds a star at the moment of its death. At these moments in all things, a great surge in magical energies can be felt. In trapping this great power, spells that one=ce took dozens of mages were within Thir’Eveth’s grasp.

    “I do not know how Thir’Eveth died, or if he is even dead at all. Nor do I know how it was the Gal’Hadreth came into possession of the stones, but one day he brought them to me. He asked me to place them within two swords that were to be used by the guardian of his village, to be kept within a circle that would suppress their magical power and keep them safe from those who would use them carelessly.”

    Lucien gazed at the swords with newfound awe. To think that he carried artifacts of such immense power with no knowledge.

    “Then we have Bor’Ineth Tru’Nashindra, my life’s greatest creation.” Heinkel looked at the curved lines of the large blade with a fondness, as if greeting an old friend. “Long before you were born, Gal’Hadreth lived a very different life. He had no aspirations of leading a village. He searched only for wisdom, and he searched with a passion that burned fiercely. So devoted was he in his quest, that he drew the attentions of Nashindra, goddess of wisdom and nature. The goddess wasas beautiful as she was wise, some say even more so.

   

“She was very fond of using her beauty to tempt those who would seek her favor. So it was that she appeared to Gal’Hadreth. She used her beauty and her charm to test his dedication to his pursuit. Despite her best efforts, his focus remained true. In all her life, no one had ever resisted Nashindra’s seduction. Gal’Hadreth’s devotion turned Nashindra’s intrigue into love and the two became lovers.

    “But Eladren, god of beasts, was infatuated with Nashindra and jealousy consumed him. If he could not have Nashindra’s hand then no one would. So one night, while Nashindra slept, Eladren sent forth a dozen vipers into her bed. Their venom was too much, even for a goddess. Gal’Hadreth found her as she took her dying breaths and transported her to me.

    “Through a combination of elven and dwarven magics, we were able to save Nashindra’s soul and she lives on in the sword that you see before you. Gal’Hadreth lived out the rest of his days with his lover by his side and never took another, such was his dedication to her.”

    Lucien stared at the blades before him with a feeling of pride, overwhelmed at the responsibility that had been thrust upon his shoulders. Not only was he the last of his village, but the guardian of a goddess. He took comfort in knowing that Gal’Hadreth was the one who was behind it all and he trusted his wisdom above all others.

    “Well, that’s it for tonight boy. I think you’ll feel better in the morning.” And with that Heinkel left Lucien by the fire and retired for the night.



© 2016 Crow Splat


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on July 16, 2016
Last Updated on July 16, 2016


Author

Crow Splat
Crow Splat

About
About Me I am a married father of three boys. I have always loved writing and fantasy settings. I enjoy camping, hunting, fishing, cycling, and pretty much any other outdoor activity. When I'm not .. more..

Writing
To The Victor To The Victor

A Chapter by Crow Splat


The Fury The Fury

A Book by Crow Splat


Adoption Adoption

A Chapter by Crow Splat