Family

Family

A Chapter by Crow Splat

For three days, Adaleine stayed in the tent of Falger Blacktongue. At least, she thought it was his tent. If he slept there, or if he even slept at all, was still a mystery to her for she had seen him only briefly and spoken to him even less. The tent was comfortable and a woman brought her fresh food every day. Aside from feeling utterly alone, there was quite little Adaleine could complain about.

On the third evening, Falger came into the tent with a pale man. The two sat on a couch across from Adaleine as she finished her dinner. The stranger was dressed in clothes made from fabrics she had never seen before, dyed vibrant shades of purple and blue. Although she did not recognize him, he gave the impression of someone of great importance.

“Young one.” Falger had not asked Adaleine her name, nor had he given any indication that he cared to learn it. “I want you to meet someone.”

He gestured to the pale man. “This is Se’Tama. Of all the men in this camp, he is the only one that I truly call friend, and he and his wife have agreed to take care of you. You will live with them and they will teach you all that you wish to know, and a great many things you never knew existed.”

“I thought I was to stay with you?” Adaleine looked at Falger, puzzled.

“Ah no, young one.” Falger took on a fatherly tone Adaleine had not yet heard from him. “I wish you could. Truly, I do. But as you have seen, I am very busy. I could never give you the attention you deserve.

“Se’Tama has a wife and a child about your age. His duties allow him much greater flexibility than I. A much better place for a child. What do you think? Is that ok?”

“I,” she paused a moment as she looked at the floor. “I guess.” She knew she didn’t really have a choice. Even if she had wanted something else, she was in no position to negotiate.

“Good. Go and gather what you need for tonight. You will go now. They have already made a place for you and your other belongings will be brought to you in the morning.”

Adaleine did as she was told. Although no one had been anything less than pleasant to her, she did not want to test the boundaries of their courtesy. It took seconds to gather the few belongings that she had. When she returned, Falger and Se’Tama were standing at the entryway, ready to depart.

Se’Tama took her by the hand and the two set out into the night. He moved with an unnatural elegance, his smooth motion seeming more like gliding than walking. Scattered torches lit the way sporadically, as their flames flickered in the light wind. The inconsistent light didn’t seem to have an effect on Se’Tama, though Adaleine could hardly see at times.

After a bit of a walk, they came to a rather plain looking tent. In the darkness, Adaleine couldn’t see anything that would distinguish it from any other tent in the camp. That it was so similar, was the reason that she noticed the tent to begin with. She did not see how four people would live comfortably in a tent so small, and, given Se’Tama’s regal attire, she expected something much more grand.

As Se’Tama pulled back the entrance flap, Adaleine’s first look into the tent was more like what she expected to see. She crossed the threshold into a room that was many times the size of the tent outside. She could see many side rooms and furnishings that she imagined would be fit for a king’s hall.

“My wife and daughter are out. Introductions will have to wait until morning, unfortunately.” Se’Tama walked to one of the side rooms and opened the curtain at the entrance. “This is your room. If you need anything, just ask.”

Adaleine went into the room and settled into the bed. It was very soft and the fine fabric made her imagine she was laying on the clouds. Her imagination ran wild with thoughts of Se’Tama’s wife and daughter. What were they like? What would it be like having another girl to play with? She had been wandering with her parents for as long as she could remember and had never had another child to play with. Where did all of these incredible things come from?


© 2016 Crow Splat


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
Added on September 3, 2016
Last Updated on September 3, 2016


Author

Crow Splat
Crow Splat

About
About Me I am a married father of three boys. I have always loved writing and fantasy settings. I enjoy camping, hunting, fishing, cycling, and pretty much any other outdoor activity. When I'm not .. more..

Writing
To The Victor To The Victor

A Chapter by Crow Splat


The Fury The Fury

A Book by Crow Splat


Adoption Adoption

A Chapter by Crow Splat