Homewards Bound

Homewards Bound

A Story by Wild Rose
"

Bound from Rotterdam Euro Port for Hull

"



Homewards Bound 

leaving Rotterdam Euro Port bound for Hull on the overnight ferry 

Black Forest: Switzerland: Dolomites; Grossglocknerhochalpenstrass; Austria; Netherlands. 

Our holidays are over Waste Water and toilet, are empty; Drinking water and fuel tanks are both filled: Tyre pressures and oil levels checked: gas bottles turned off.  

All ready to roll.  

It is over 12 weeks we left UK tomorrow we will dock at 05:00 in Hull 

 

We arrive at the ferry terminal early, time to make a meal.  

Turn the gas on again. We will have the last of the bacon and an egg. Small frying pan and kettle required  

We watch the trucks rolling past as we eat; they have to pass through customs before loading so use a different entrance. Meal eaten wash the plates and frying pan with the remainder of the hot water, stow them away. 

Now just await them to open the gates, get our documents ready, it does help if they don't have to wait for you to collect them; the staff arrive, we move to the front seats.  

The lady opens her serving hatch and beckons us forward.  

Passenger window open documents passed through. “Thank you everything in order here is your boarding card, place it in your front window; take the far-right hand Number 5 lane”.  

The lane has a heading over the gate 'Vehicles over 2.5 meters only' another wait. 

 

Two men come round, “Can we check your gas is turned off please “any more passengers” they request as they check the gas cylinders “No only two of us”  

The gate is opened “Follow the directions from the marshals” The marshals have dayglow orange jacket and indicate the direction to take.  

 

Before us was a huge open chasm with a metal ramp leading up to it. 

I had to change down a gear, we were travelling too slow to take it without. Once inside we were directed to the far end of the huge open space of the car deck, then turned to go back down the opposite side. Facing the exit. “Switch off your engine: apply the hand brake and leave it in first gear. Turn your alarm off: take anything you will require on the journey, you cannot return until we are docked in Hull, are there any other people with you? “No just two of us” “Right remember to lock all your doors” 

Page Break 

 

We found our cabin then went on deck to watch the trucks being loaded _ marvelling at the drivers loading in reverse right across the dockside area.  

There was little else to do none of the bars or cafes would be open until the boat was free of the dock and underway. We watched as the ship sailed down the channels into the open sea.  

 

Wild Rose  

September 2018


© 2020 Wild Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very descriptive slice of life. Like stumbling upon a travel journal. I like your prose as well as your poems.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wild Rose

4 Years Ago

Did you know she lives in a wheel chair
Jennifer Patino

4 Years Ago

No, she has not shared that with me. I too have mobility issues & have to use a chair for long dista.. read more
Wild Rose

4 Years Ago

My wife is now in a chair - we carry two in our motorhome & self propelled and an electric she pref.. read more
'Homewards Bound'
Wild Rose,
I hope this trip was everything you hoped for and more. Getting away is so special and should be enjoyed to maximum. I noticed quite a list of places that this ship must of stopped at. How exciting. Iv'e not traveled a lot but what has been experience has been so wonderful for me. The descriptions of your experiences on the ferry back home is amazing! It sounds a little confusing and complicated navigate your vehicle into the belly of the boat beast. Ha ha. Well I would love to hear more about what this was like.
Bless you real good.
Kathy

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


You've done a good job of detailing the events of your return home, but I don't understand why it's posted twice. Did I miss something?

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

384 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 20, 2017
Last Updated on January 19, 2020

Author

Wild Rose
Wild Rose

Lake Disrtict, Cumbria, United Kingdom



About
BA (Hons)Management studies Open University Full tech Cert. Marine: Aviation & Industrial Instrumentation and Conrtol Retired engineering lecturer Ex racing cyclist: fell walker: Camper more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Angst Angst

A Story by Philip Muls