The Last Survivors

The Last Survivors

A Story by Erin
"

Three girls are survivors from a deadly tornado....very cheesy

"

The Last Survivors

 

Chapter 1 - The Tornado

 

 

 

 

          "Welcome to Action News!  Today we have a chance of a thunderstorm and -"  Erin turned off the TV and kept on getting ready for school.  There had been a lot of storms lately and each day the storms kept getting worse.  Soon enough there's going to be a tornado, Erin said to herself sarcastically.  There were hardly ever tornados in Michigan and Erin was thankful for that.  If I ever was stuck in a tornado I'd definitely die, Erin said to herself.  As her mom drove her to school she realized it was starting to rain.  "The news reporter is going to be right about a thunderstorm.  Look how hard it's raining," said Erin to her Mom. 

 

When she got to school, she went right to her class and started doing her work.  She was stumped on her math when she heard a banging noise.  She looked out the window and saw that it was hailing.  She was starting to get worried.  The sky looked as if it was nighttime with its darkish-green color in the sky.  Soon, her classmates started to notice and they started getting worried too.  Her teacher was telling them it was just a little storm when the tornado alarm went off.  Erin and her classmates got quickly in a line.  Erin's two friends went over to her and she told them they would huddle together to stay safe.  Natalie and Julie were two of her best friends and they always tried to be together as much as possible.  They went out to the hallway and put their heads against the wall like everyone else.  The only different thing about it was that the three girls were huddled together.  All the kids were very, very scared.  Even some of the bravest kids were whispering, "Please don't let me die, please don't let me die."  After a long while, she heard a sound like a freight train.  Then she closed her eyes and grasped her friends' hands tightly.

 

 

Chapter 2 – The Tragedy

 

After a long time, the sound was gone.  She opened her eyes and let go of her friends' hands.  Everything was destroyed.  She looked around the hallway seeing about everybody laying flat with their eyes closed.  It took Erin a moment to realize they had died.  The only two people Erin saw alive were her two friends.  Natalie took a deep breath and said very quivery, "Well, what do we do now?"  She sounded as if she was trying very hard not to cry. 

Julie just stood there with her eyes wide and said, "This has to be a dream." 

Erin pinched herself, "Nope. It's real." 

 

There was a long silence and finally Erin said, "Let's see what happened downstairs."  They went downstairs and the only one down there was Erin's little brother.  He was crying.  She went over to him. 

The first thing he said was, "What happened to everybody?" 

Erin tried to think of a way to explain what had happened.  "They died," she said. 

"What's died?" 

"It's when someone falls asleep forever," she said, trying to make it easy to understand.

"Like they are taking a nap?" he asked.

"Yeah," she said.

"What then?"

"Then they go to Heaven," she said.

She picked him up and said to her friends, "Let's go see if our parents are alright."

They agreed and they went to Erin, Natalie, and Julie's house.

 

 

Chapter 3 – The Trip

 

Everything at Erin's house was destroyed.  Everyone was dead.  Erin found a note on the table.  It said:

Dear Family,

 

How are you?  My business trip is going well.  A tornado came to my apartment but nothing was harmed.  I heard it was coming to Michigan.  If anything happens, feel free to come to my house.  I'm in Miami, Florida.  My address is 3294 Beach Street.

 

With love,

Dad

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Erin smiled at the thought of getting to live with her dad and her friends being her sisters.  She came out and told them what she found and what it said. They were surprised but they said they would if their parents weren't alive. They went to Natalie's house.  Her parents were dead but her dog was alive.  She said since  Ginger is a Golden Retriever, she could be our guard dog.  So Erin, her brother Tyler, Natalie, Ginger, and Julie went to Julie's house.  Everything was gone.  They brought as much food as they could carry.  They started walking.  Each night the laid huddled together under one blanket.  After one month they reached Ohio. 

"This is taking longer than I thought.  I thought it would take a month to just get to Florida.  It's taken a month to get to just Ohio." 

"Well, we'll go a little farther and then we'll rest."  So they kept on going.

 

 

Chapter 4 – Country Life

 

A little less than a month later, they reached Kentucky. As they were traveling, they saw a broken-down barn. They looked in and no one was in there.'' It must be abandoned.'' said Julie. They went in. There was a wooden table, an old sink, and a cupboard. Erin opened it. There were a few plates and a few cups. They also saw stairs. As they went up them they saw a door at the top.  They opened it and saw four rooms.  Erin looked in the first, Natalie looked in the second, Julie looked in the third, and Tyler looked in the fourth.  Erin came out and said it looked like a bedroom.  The walls were green. There was a white bed and a little desk next to it with three books on it.  They were: Charlotte's Web, Pippi Longstocking and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.  Erin thought that must have been a kid's room.  Natalie then came out and said it had a window, white walls, a white bed, a little desk that had a lamp, a blank sheet of paper, an ink feather, ink and one book.  The book was called The King and I.  It must've been the parent's room.  Julie came out and said it had pink walls, a blue bed, and a rug.  She also came out with a girl after a minute. 

"Guys, I'd like you to meet Linsey."  Linsey looked at them.  Her eyes were red from crying.  Her parents died in the tornado too. 

Erin looked at her.  "Would you like to come with us?"

"Sure," Linsey said quietly.  "I don't like being alone.  Could we be friends?"

Erin looked at Natalie and Julie.  "Sure!  We'd love another friend."  So Linsey came along too.

 

Tyler said his had a toilet, sink and a big bucket of water.  It must've been a bathroom.  Erin decided she and her brother would sleep in the first room.  Julie said she and Linsey would sleep in the second room.  Natalie and Ginger would sleep in the third room.  So for three days, they stayed there.  The next day they saw an older car.  Since hardly anybody was on the roads, nobody would see them driving.  They each said what they knew and put it together and the car worked!  They started driving and by nighttime, they were in Georgia.  "We're almost there!" Julie said excitedly.  That night they slept in the car.

 

 

Chapter 5 - Home

 

The next day Erin started driving as soon as she woke up.  When the others woke up, she announced it would take two hours till they were there.  Two hours later, Erin was on Beach Street looking for her dad.  She kept on looking but she couldn't find his house.  Fifteen minutes later, she gave up. 

"What?!" Natalie said surprisingly, "You're giving up?!  We've gone so far and you've been telling me to keep on going and now you're stopping?" 

Erin nodded. 

"You have to keep going.  Just try a little longer.  Pleeease?" Natalie, and Linsey said together.

Erin sighed and said, "Okay, but just a little longer." 

She kept on driving and then Julie said, "Isn't that 3294 Beach Street?"

Erin looked over and screeched the car to a stop. 

"It is!"  She quickly drove the car over and into the driveway.  She knocked on the door and when her dad came to the door, she hugged him. 

When they stopped hugging, her dad said, "Where's your mother?"

"She died," she said quietly, "in the tornado."  She told him about everything that happened to them. 

After that he said, "Wow."  It didn't sound like he believed her, especially about the driving and surviving part.

"Dad?"

"What?"

"I was wondering if Natalie, Linsey and Julie could be my sisters since they don't have parents anymore."  There was a long silence.

"I guess so."

"And can Ginger stay?" said Natalie.

"Why not.  Every house needs a dog."

So all the girls were happy.  And they weren't just friends now.  They are also now sisters.

 

THE END

 

© 2008 Erin


Author's Note

Erin
By the way, I wrote this in 4th grade, so keep that in mind....

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a fabulous story, and your are absolutely right we always have hope. Nice write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


wow, it is a good story, good from tragedy, also good about not giving up hope.
You have done a marvelouse job even as a kid...:)


Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 31, 2008
Last Updated on April 5, 2008

Author

Erin
Erin

Livonia, MI



About
I'm a sophomore in high school who has loved writing since 2nd grade. Lately, I've been working one story on particular, but for now I'll be posting short stories. more..

Writing