Escape

Escape

A Story by Erin
"

A daughter of a plantation owner from the 1800's befriends a slave

"

 

 
Cockle doodle-doo!
Seventeen year old Victoria White awoke to sun streaming through her window and the sound of slaves working outside. Smiling, she climbed out of bed and slipped into a dress suitable for the day. She went downstairs to her kitchen where her mom stood cooking breakfast.
                Victoria was very satisfied with her life. She lived in a mansion in Georgia with a large plantation in the back. Any time she needed something, she could just snap her fingers, and a slave would bring it to her in only a few seconds. Victoria had everything she needed…well, except one thing. Living on a plantation house where the nest nearest house was 15 miles away, she had no one to be with. Victoria had no friends, except for her cat, Maggie. Her dad had told her she was never allowed to talk to any of the slaves unless she needed something, so there was really no one else around.
                As her mom came to greet her, Victoria managed a weak smile. “Good morning, Mother.”
                Her mother returned the smile. “Good morning, Victoria. Isn’t it a lovely morning?”
                I nodded. “It is. But mother…I don’t know what to do with myself. Yesterday, I practiced piano for three hours, I worked on my stitching, I picked flowers, I helped Martha with her cooking, and I even helped Thomas clean up his room.”
                Mrs. White laughed. “Well, you certainly seem to need something new to do. Don’t worry, in a few hours, your tutor will be here.”
                She had forgotten about tutoring. Since there wasn’t a school within walking distance, once a week a tutor came to help her and Thomas, her younger brother, study and learn new things. Honestly though, she didn’t want to stay stuck inside the house studying and learning.
                She turned back to her mom. “May I go outside?”
                Her mom nodded.
                Unsure of what to do with herself, Victoria walked outside, where a black man in his 40’s walked by, pushing a wheelbarrow.
                He waved. “Mornin’, miss.”
                Victoria nodded to him quickly and continued walking. She passed a small group of black girls clustered in a circle, playing with their rag dolls. If only she had friends like they did. A wave of jealousy swept over her body.
                Then she reached the tobacco field where dozens of slaves were working. Victoria soon spotted her father by some of the older men, and she decided to go over to talk to him.
                He smiled when he saw her. “Good morning, Sugar.”
                “Good morning Father. I was wondering if I could go exploring in the forest.”
                “Stuck with nothing to do again? Well, I suppose your mom wouldn’t mind if you went into the forest as long as you have someone watching you.” He turned and scanned the rows of tobacco. He cupped his hands over his mouth. “Hey!! Boy!!”
                A young boy a row away turned to them. He seemed to be younger than most of the workers; a little older than Victoria, but probably only about 20.
                With wide eyes, he pointed to himself. “Me?”
                Her dad nodded. “Come over here!”
                The boy dropped his basket and ran over.
                “What’s your name boy?”
                He kept his eyes down. “Russell.”
                “Russell? Well, my daughter here wants to go into the forest and she needs someone to go with her. You’re going to go and carry her basket for her.
                He looked up to her dad. “Yes sir.”
                Victoria didn’t know what to say. She had never been alone with a black person.
                Mr. White patted Russell on the back. “You make sure nothing happens to her, or there will be consequences.”
                Russell nodded. “I understand, sir.”
                He nodded and turned to Victoria.
                “I, um…let’s go this way.” She stuttered.
                “Alright.”
                Then they began to walk into the deep forest.
 
***
 
                As nervous as Victoria was, silence was even worse to her. She needed to say something.
                “Um…so…do you have a family?”
                She immediately realized how mean that sounded. His reaction was hurt, yet he responded politely. “Yes I do. I live here with my uncle and aunt. Along with my younger sister too.”
                “Oh.” She felt bad. “Where are your parents?”
                He shrugged and helped her over a creek. “My mama died when I was 8. Old master beat her to death.” He shook his head disapprovingly and closed his eyes, as if reliving that day. “My father was taken to another plantation a couple years ago. We haven’t heard from him since.”
                Victoria couldn’t picture life without her family. She continued walking, unsure of what to say. “I’m very sorry.”
                “S’alright. I try to focus on what the Lord has given me. I usually get a good portion of food from my masters; most of them act fair too.”
                “Oh.” Somehow she felt sorry for Russell. She should help him. The poor guy hasn’t heard from his dad in years. Victoria shook the thoughts from her head. He was just a slave; why did it matter what happened to him?
                Russell seemed to read her mind. “Y’know, most people talk to us like we’s not human. But really, we’re no different than you.”
                Although she did kind of agree, she held back from saying anything. She only continued to climb up a ridge.
                Russell was still talking. “If I only had one wish…you wanna know what mine would be?”
                She turned to him. “What?”
                “To be able to see my father, just one more time. I want that more than anything. I would give my whole life up to bein’ a slave…just to be with him one more time.”
                Victoria blinked. Was she tearing up? No, stop. He’s just a slave.
                Even as she told herself that, the other side of her mind spoke differently. He can’t help being black. He’s just like me.
                Aloud she said, “That’s…really sweet. Do you know where your dad is?”
                “Naw. But I know him. He’ll do anything to be free. First chance he gets, he’ll be breakin’ out.”
He looked up to remember he was not talking to another black slave, but a white girl, and even worse, the daughter of his master.
                “I-I’m sorry.” He stammered. “Please forget what I said.”
                Without realizing what she was saying, Victoria replied, “Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone.”
                He looked up, his deep brown eyes staring into her pale blue ones. He smiled. “it’s nice to talk to someone. No one here’s my age.”
                Victoria completely understood. “I feel that way too. I don’t have any friends.”
                Suddenly they had the same idea; one thought shared through two faces of understanding. They could become friends.
                Victoria looked down. “Too bad my dad doesn’t want me sharing conversations with any of you.”
                Russell thought a moment. “What if you ask to go to the forest every few days?”
                “You’re right. He wouldn’t say no…he knows I don’t have anything to do around here.”
                He nodded. “And I’m gonna be his first choice, since he’s already trusted me once.”
                “Great.” She looked up at the sun. “Oh, what time do you think it is?”
                He looked up too, shielding his eyes. “I’d say…maybe about noon. We better go.”
                Victoria nodded, and they began heading back toward her house. When they got back, her dad was waiting. As he saw them, his face lit up. “You’re back! Thanks, boy.” He took Victoria and faced her seriously. “Now Victoria, did he treat you fine?”
                She couldn’t help smiling as she nodded.
                He dad grinned. “Great. Son, for this, you can get an extra serving of the chicken tonight.”
                Russell looked overjoyed. “Oh sir, thank you! Yaw very kind!”
                “Alright, now get back to work.” He ordered, and Russell scurried back to work.
 
***
 
                Time passed quickly after that. Day grew into weeks. Weeks grew into months. At least one afternoon every week was spent in the forest with Russell. Victoria found herself growing attached to Russell, and when there was a time she was unable to go, she felt very disappointed. As she slowly became this way, she was unaware of the change that was taking place in her heart. Victoria was starting to fall in love with Russell.
 
***
 
                “Well, we should pro’lly start headin’ back now.” Russell told Victoria, gazing thoughtfully at the sun.
                She noticed the speed Russell was moving at. Have we gone past our time?
                Her dad had been in a bad mood that morning; if they got back so much as ten minutes late…someone could get hurt.
                Victoria decided to ask. “Is everything okay?”
                His voice sounded somewhat casual, as if he was doing it only for her. “I lost track of time a little. We should be fine though.”
                She watched him as they continued toward the plantation. His hands were shaking. Now Victoria was starting to worry. Once they got past the forest, they both saw her dad waiting for them. He didn’t look happy.
                “Where have you been?!” He demanded, grabbing Victoria protectively.
                Russell looked cornered. “Sir, I-“
                “No excuses! I trusted you with my daughter and told you when to be back. And you come back…thirty minutes later?!”
                Russell didn’t respond, only stared at the ground.
                Finally, Mr. White spoke up. “Victoria, go to the house.”
                “What? Why?”
                “Just go.”
                Victoria wanted to cry. Slowly she walked away, not sure what would happen. Maybe he’s just going to talk to him, she thought to herself. Then again…maybe not.
                Scenarios filled her mind. What if her dad was really angry? Could he be mad enough…to kill Russell?
 
 
***
 
 
                The next day, Russell could not be found in his normal area. Worriedly, Victoria searched through every section of the plantation until she came to the wood pile. None of the slaves liked chopping would in the summer. Hard work like that on a hot day could cause dehydration. Only slaves who Mr. White were mad at went here. And today it was Russell.
                He seemed fine from what Victoria could tell. She could hear his breathing becoming ragged as he worked in the blazing sun.
                She came beside him. “What happened?”
                He stopped chopping, and turned around to reveal a black eye and a mark on his face where he had been bleeding. He shrugged. “You can prob’ly tell.”
                At that point, her mind was made up. She couldn’t risk letting Russell get beat again, or it could be worse. At this time, escape was their only option… 
 

© 2009 Erin


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was interesting. It was very detailed and I liked reading it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


A.J., you're right that i need more developement, but it was a short story for school, so i had to make it really short...mine was already longer than most other people.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I want to know more about Victoria. What is her room like, what does she like? What does she think when she wakes up in the morning? Also, I had a little trouble believing that Russell told Victoria about his troubles so quickly. She's the daughter of a plantation owner, and she has no alliances with him, who's to say she's not a N-hater, a racist, or a snob? Who's to say she even cares? I would like to see how their relationship develops a little more, and what they teach each other in the process. Also, did people in the 1800's refer to their slaves as slaves or workers? What little I remember from American History, people back then didn't think they were enslaving anyone at all. They were workers and property. Not much more.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 13, 2009

Author

Erin
Erin

Livonia, MI



About
I'm a sophomore in high school who has loved writing since 2nd grade. Lately, I've been working one story on particular, but for now I'll be posting short stories. more..

Writing