Chapter 3: David's Point of View

Chapter 3: David's Point of View

A Chapter by Erin
"

David makes new friends. Him and Kelsey become friends as well <3

"

Chapter 3: David’s Point of View

 

The next day dragged on slowly, and I could already feel myself growing sick of school. It was basically a replay of the day before, until lunch came. Rick and I had both ordered, and although we made it early to the cafeteria, the room became crowded quickly. As we stepped out of the lunch line, I noticed our table was really full.

I stopped.

Rick looked at me. “What?”

I pointed. “It looks like Darryl brought some friends. And look, he’s sitting in my spot.”

“Oh come on, it’s only the second day. We haven’t established a seating order yet, David. I’m sure Darryl just thought that was his spot.”

I wasn’t convinced. “Let’s just go somewhere else.”

Rick gave me a glare. “Now you’re being childish. Besides, where could we sit?”

I scanned the room. “What about right there?”

Rick turned. “That’s…the punk table.”

I started walking over there. “Yeah it is. Come on, Rick. Let’s try something new.”

He moaned. “But it’s only our second day…”

I ignored this and headed over to the table. Most of the people were already talking with friends, but I noticed a few empty seats. “Uh, hey. Can we sit over here?”

One of the few guys who weren’t talking looked up at us and nodded. “Sure.”

Rick glared at me again as we sat.

The boy was staring at us. “So, any reason you’re over here?”

Rick looked at me eagerly. “Well, we can go.”

He shook his head. “No, I was just curious. I don’t mean you’re not welcome here. This table’s pretty much open to anyone.”

“Thanks.” I replied, eating my pizza. “But our tables full, and I thought it was time for a change.”

“Even though it’s only the second day…” Rick mumbled, obviously pouting.

“Besides,” I continued, “Everyone here is so…stereotypical. There’s like these rigid cliques, and about half the school never dares to cross other groups paths.”

“I know!” This kid seemed to really agree. “That’s what I hate about high school. It’s like everyone thinks our group is just a bunch of kids who want to commit suicide.”

“And you’re not!” I agreed, glad that he understood.

“Exactly!” He looked happy now. “My names Sean. You guys can sit at this table any time you want. You’ll find we’re probably one of the only groups who aren’t exclusive.”

I smiled. “I’m David, and my moping friend over here is Rick.”

Rick seemed annoyed. “I’m not moping.”

Sean looked at Rick. “Well, it’s nice to meet you anyway, Rick. I hope you find yourself feeling more comfortable here soon enough. We’re all nice once you get to know us.”

I looked around the table curiously. All of the people did look more normal than I had remembered; only a few were looking like the stereotypical emo or goth. A lot of them did have on unusual clothes, but there were a lot of them who looked like every other person you would see. Although Sean did have dark brown hair which almost seemed black, everything else about him seemed like the average person.

                “So.”  Rick said flatly. “Did you bring your gym clothes?”

I nodded. “Did you?”

He looked uncomfortable. “I, um…I left them at home.”

I sighed. “Rick…”

“Hey, I was running late this morning! It’s not my fault.”

“So what if we start playing sports today? We’re not gonna be partners, you know.”

He sighed. “I know, I know. But you’re a social guy…I’m sure you’ll find someone else to partner up with.”

I moaned. “What if everyone else finds a partner and I’m that last kid in class without a partner? I’ll look so dumb.”

“I’m sure you’re not the only kid in the class without a partner today. What about that girl yesterday? What was her name?”

I remembered her quickly. Brown curly hair, with blue eyes, from what I remembered. “Oh, Kelsey?”

“Yeah, her. She’s new here remember? I’m sure she hasn’t found a gym partner after one day.”

He was right. “Yeah, that’s true…”

“And besides, we may not even play anything today. For all we know, it could be more of the rules for gym.”

“I guess you’re right.”

Just then, the bell rang. I grabbed my gym bag, and together, we hurried off to gym.

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

 

As it turned out, Rick was wrong. Our teacher started the class off by giving us instructions on how to play tennis, then quickly telling us to find a partner. I glared at Rick as he sat by the wall. Everyone did seem to have a friend, and I began to panic as the population of “singles” dwindled. I looked around to see that Kelsey was still free.

I walked over to her and smiled. “Uh, hi. I don’t really have a partner, and I saw you didn’t either, so I was wondering…”

Smiling, she nodded. “Sure. I was kind of worried I would be that one kid who gets singled out and has to play tennis with the teacher.”

“Well, you don’t have to worry about that now.” We were each handed a rack. “So, uh…do you play?”

“Tennis?” she laughed. “I’m probably the least athletic person in this whole class. Maybe even this whole school.”

I laughed too. “Well, I’m not the best myself. Besides, it’s gym class, not the Olympics.”

“I’ll try to remember that.”

Our teacher began talking. “Alright, does anyone not have a partner?”

No one responded.

“Okay great. We’re going to the outside racks now, so everyone needs to stay close together.”

I followed the rest of the class outside.

“So, um, what happened to your friend?” Kelsey pointed to Rick, who was at the back of the line, walking slowly.

“He forgot his clothes today.” I explained, wondering if maybe it wasn’t such a bad thing after all.

“Aw, that must stink.” She paused. “Actually, I would rather sit out than have to play tennis.”

“Tennis isn’t so bad.” I told her. “All you have to do is pretend you know what you’re doing, and everything will be fine.”

We reached the tennis courts, and again, our teacher gave us more instructions. Then everyone rushed to claim their box, and the games began.

“So…who starts?” I asked.

Kelsey shrugged. “You can if you want.”

I bounced the ball and whacked it to her. It bounded over the net, flying straight towards her. She swung for it, but missed.

I grinned. “That wasn’t so bad.”

“Are you kidding me?” Kelsey exclaimed, laughing. “That was such an easy shot!”

“We’ll try again.” I suggested, and she threw the ball to me. Again, I hit it to her, but this time she hit it back. It ended up hitting the net and bouncing into another court.

“Sorry!” she called, and ran after it. When she came back, she looked embarrassed. “I told you, I’m not good at this game. Or any game, for that matter.”

“Well, you’re still learning.”

She thought about it. “I thought you said you couldn’t play either.”

 “I can’t!”

“You can play tons better than I can. Have you ever played before?”

I shrugged. “Once, with my dad.”

“And you’re this good?”

“Some people are just born athletic.”

“Like you?”

I laughed. “Not like me. If you had seen me a year ago, you probably wouldn’t even recognize me. I was so far from jock, it’s not even funny.”

“So, what we’re you?”

“Well, I guess I was pretty much classified as a nerd.”

She looked surprised. “You? A nerd?”

“Let’s just say I’m about five times smarter than I am athletic.”

“Wow, you’re smart and athletic. Do you have any flaws?”

Smiling, I shrugged. “Sometimes I work too hard.”

She laughed as our teacher, Mr. Brown came over. “Hey, come on you two, less talk, and more swinging!”

“Sorry Mr. Brown.” Kelsey said quietly, and she whacked the ball to me.

“See, that wasn’t so bad.” I said to her, and hit it back.

She smiled shyly. “Hey, maybe after a couple days of this we may actually be able to hit the ball back and forth.” She tried to swing at the ball, but hit it too hard. It sailed over the tennis fence and into the baseball field.

“Well, if this was baseball, you’d be doing good.” I joked, and began to go retrieve it.

“Wait, David!” she called, hurrying after me.

 I stopped and turned.

“I’ll go get the ball. It’s my fault it went over there anyway.”

I shrugged. “I can get it. I’m closer.” I jogged over to where the ball lay, and picked it up. As I went past the bleachers, Rick was watching me.

“Hey.” I said to him. “Is it fun sitting out?”

He shrugged. “Too boring. I’d rather be playing than watching.”

“Well, there’s always tomorrow.”

He nodded. “Hey, you and Kelsey seem to be having fun. Anything…going on there?”

I laughed. “Oh please. Rick, you just love finding the slightest connection, and turning it into something romantic.”

“Hey, it’s my job. So, you didn’t answer me. Am I right, or am I right?”

Before I could respond, we were interrupted. “Hey, Fields!”

I turned to see my gym coach strolling over. “Are you gonna keep chit chatting, or get back to your game?”

“Sorry, Mr. Brown.” I apologized, heading back to the court.

“You stop the game one more time and it’ll be points off your grade.”

“Okay, it won’t happen again.” I mumbled and went back to where Kelsey stood. “Sorry.”

“It’s fine,” she responded, and smiled. “Just less time to have to play.”

I nodded and bounced the ball.

As it flew over the net, I noticed Mr. Brown walking over. Kelsey swung for the ball and missed, as Mr. Brown watched us.

“Alright Miss Shipley. Your swing is a little rusty, but it’s not bad.” He took her racket and demonstrated. “You need to turn a little and hit it like this.” Then he tossed the ball to me. “Throw me one, Fields. I’ll show her how to do this.”

Uncertainly, I bounced the ball and slapped it to Mr. Brown. In one expert motion, our teacher struck the ball back to me. Kelsey stared at him incredulously.

He turned back to Kelsey. “Do you think you can do this?”

She looked uncomfortable. “I, uh…sure. I’ll try.”

He looked pleased. “Okay, good. Keep working on it.” And as he walked away, he turned to me. “By the way, good job Fields.”

Kelsey smiled, seeming a little humiliated.

“Hey, you’re doing fine, Kelsey.” I told her. “Don’t listen to Mr. Brown; he’s been doing this for years now.”

She nodded. “I guess you’re right.” And she picked up the ball and hit it to me.

“See, that was good.” I said as I struck the ball once again.

“Don’t pity me, David.” She replied jokingly.

I smiled as she hit the ball back to me. Our game continued for another 20 minutes, until our teacher blew his whistle. Everyone stopped and turned to him.

“Okay, good work guys! Tomorrow we’ll be playing more, so make sure you bring in your clothes.” He turned toward Rick as he said this.

We all headed in together, and Kelsey and I continued talking.

“So.” I said. “How do you like this school so far?”

She shrugged. “It’s okay, I guess.”

Rick came up beside me. “Wow. So does Brown hate me or what?”

I rolled my eyes. “You think he hates you?”

“Yeah! Couldn’t you tell?”

“No…”

“Well, maybe I’m overreacting a little, but I’ll bet you that by the end of this semester, everyone will be able to tell.”

“You’re kidding me.”

“Hey, you’ll see soon enough.” He sighed as we walked through the school doors. “Well, I know for sure, I’ll triple check tomorrow morning just to make sure I don’t forget my clothes.”

I laughed. “Why would he hate you just because you forgot your clothes?”

“I don’t know. But you just watch, David. I know these type of things.”

We were now back in the gym room, and Rick and I headed to the locker room. All in all, gym had been fun. And surprisingly, I didn’t mind having to play tennis anymore.



© 2011 Erin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
Added on November 7, 2011
Last Updated on November 7, 2011


Author

Erin
Erin

Livonia, MI



About
I'm a sophomore in high school who has loved writing since 2nd grade. Lately, I've been working one story on particular, but for now I'll be posting short stories. more..

Writing