In The Night Of Daylight

In The Night Of Daylight

A Story by Max Earns
"

Storyline Version

"

Halloween Script- Introduction
Storyline Version.

"In the night of daylight,
When the fallen angel sleeps behind,
The tombstones of the broken Knights,
He slips his evil in the minds,
Of little children passing by."

Cobham, Pennsylvania 1910

    The fog had descended upon the stoney grounds leaving no room for sight. A light drizzled had formed capturing the small town of Cobham indoors. Night had fallen deep some hours before. The few homes that were settled by River Allegheny were towered by the forest of trees a miles worth away.
    There was a mystery to the town that captured every young boys attention. A small hill on the foot of the  forest hosted a boarded home. A wooden fence surrounded the place. Abandoned for 20 years, the grass had grown to the height of the fence. No one knew what this place held but rumors told various tales. No one dared step foot beyond the fence, no one bothered to mention its name... 'til today.

 [Enter Joseph and Anthony]

   Two boys crossed the path between the forest and the town cautiously. Anthony, the oldest of the both, carried an oil lantern ahead of them. The wind was settled but the fog was thick. The drizzle was light in the late-summer breeze. They reached the fence door and stopped abruptly.
   "Are you sure you want to do this?" Joseph asked silently from behind. Anthony turned around and nodded, fear and determination rode in his eyes. They both opened the wooden fence door and took a small step inside. A wooden path leading to the house was weathered away and broken. A row of uncared-for bushes lay on each side of the path.
   "This is wicked!" Anthony whispered out of breath. They took cautious steps down the wooden path in fear and excitement. Halfway down the path the fence door closed creaking slowly. Both boys froze not daring to look back. Their hearts pounding in fright.
   "Maybe, 'twas the wind." Joseph managed to whisper after a while.
"There is no wind you idiot." Anthony responded. "It's an olde home, Joseph. Let's keep on." He finished.
   They slowly reached the end of the bushes where a small courtyard was revealed. Loneliness smirked about the place. The boys stopped in amazement as Anthony lifted the oil lantern to see better. The fog was getting thicker as the night crawled by. In the middle of the courtyard was a small fountain. An angel stood in the middle looking towards the sky with plea. At the end of the courtyard stood two tombstones side by side. Fresh graves were dug in front of each tombstone.
   "Isn't this an olde home?" Joseph asked. "If this is an olde home, why are those graves fresh?" The boys walked towards the graves but to their surprise the headstone was empty. No words we engraved on the headstones.
   "This is eerie, Anthony. Let's go." Joseph said in a hurried voice and he started walking back towards the fence door. At that moment the fog became thicker making it very difficult to see ahead. Joseph turned to Anthony but Anthony was gone. The fog was wrapping him in its mist.
   "ANTHONY!" Joseph screamed repeatedly. He ran but he knew not where he was running. The courtyard seemed to have turned into a maze where he was stuck. His heart began to pound faster skipping beats at times. "ANTHONY! WHERE ARE YOU?" Joseph screamed. He stopped suddenly and thought he saw a glimpse of light up ahead. "ANTHONY! OVER HERE!" Joseph ran towards the light but tripped on a crack on the floor. He scrapped his chin and felt trickles of warm blood stream down to his neck. Sounds began to be audible. Rustle of the leaves, a voice far away was not comprehensible, someone else was here. Someone that wasn't him or Anthony.
  'Joseph.' He heard his name in a whisper. 'Joooseph.' There it was again. He crawled around hurriedly trying to stand but his legs were too weak with fear. Tears began to run down his cheeks.
   "STOP! This isn't real! Stop..." He looked down and saw a big black stain on his ruffles. The blood hadn't stopped. All of a sudden, he felt a strong jolt pull him up and he screamed.
   "Shut it, Joseph. It's me, Anthony. Where did you go? I was looking for you!" Joseph could hardly see Anthony's face but he saw fear, complete fear.
   "Did you not hear me calling? I was calling..." At that moment a human growl came from inside the house followed by a terrifying scream. "LET'S GO, THIS PLACE IS HORRIBLE." Joseph screamed at Anthony.
    They both ran but the fog was too thick now to see anything.
   "Where do we go?" Anthony asked.
  "I don't know." Joseph responded. And then they heard the bushes rustle gently and they stopped. A faint chant was sailing in the air. A little girls voice. The bushes began to rustle a little louder and the chant was becoming understandable.
   Both boys walked backwards and found themselves in the courtyard again. There was a figure now. A small figure moving rather slowly towards them. The little girls voice was comprehensible now but they couldn't see her. Her chant wasn't a chant but a song. A children's song they recognized.

"All around the mulberry bush,"

They took couple of more steps backwards but the figure kept on coming towards them singing happily.

"The monkey chased the weasel."

"Who's there?" Joseph asked frightened.

"The monkey thought 'twas all in fun."

   They stopped, they couldn't take no more steps backwards. Their backs were to the freshly drug graves. The little girl was so close to them and they heard a bell ring. RING, RING. She was mounted on a tricycle. She stopped right in front of them, her head bowed down.
   "Wha-what are you doing here li-little g-g-girl?" Anthony asked taking a small cautious step forward. She stopped singing and everything fell silent.

"POP!"

She screamed and lifted her head. Her face was disfigured. Demon child she was. She smiled and her teeth were sharp as a monsters, yellow and rotting. Her eyes were glowing red and boils grew on her cheeks. Blood was running down her ears. Someone had freshly sowed that face on her. She rang her bell again and Joseph and Anthony fell into the 6-feet graves screaming.

"Goes the weasel."

She finished singing and said, "I'm sorry you guys can't play with me tonight, Daddy won't let me cause I've been a very naughty girl. He says little girls should play with knifes."

© 2012 Max Earns


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
Added on December 6, 2012
Last Updated on December 6, 2012

Author

Max Earns
Max Earns

In My Head, TX



About
I live through music. I play, I write and perform my feelings. Quite often you'll find me running around in my head. I'm a forgotten dreamer but I know one day reality will bump into me and say, "Hey!.. more..

Writing
Scars Scars

A Story by Max Earns