Nephilim's Fall: Chapter Eight

Nephilim's Fall: Chapter Eight

A Chapter by DeNine
"

Stella walks with Sebastian. He changes and Stella sees what Sebastian really is. She runs for her life.

"

Chapter 8 

 Whenever I see Sebastian after he catches my eye, wearing that same smile he'd had at the party. I start avoiding going places I know he'd be, and Conner is more than happy to keep as much distance from him as possible. 


My dislike for Sebastian seems to grow each day, until it is an ugly mass that keeps me awake at night. I lay in bed, imagining all the sharp and witty things I will say to him in the morning, but whenever I actually run into him at school all the fight seems to flow out of me. This only makes me angrier. 


Sometimes when Conner and I sit down for lunch, I see him scanning the cafeteria and I know he is looking for Sebastian. I would comment on it to him but I find myself doing the same embarrassingly often. Worst of all is that each time I find myself staring at him, he unfailingly looks up to meet my gaze, and my cheeks color at his considering stare and slight smile. 


Coming to school the Monday after the party, I expect to see him attached to Rachel's hip, but he seems to prefer to sit alone. Even this irritates me; in my mind they would have made the perfect couple. I can't think of anyone more deserving to sit through Rachel's mindless chatter, or to put up with his sarcastic drawl. Rachel seems to have the same idea, and her attempts to drag him into her social group are persistent, and a wonderful source of entertainment.


It occurs to me that she probably would have given up long before if he'd just acted like all the other boys in our year level; tripping over themselves to be noticed by her, but I am sure he knows that from the wide grin he wore each time he watched her stalk off after being turned down. I stopped watching these altercations the day that I realized I was grinning along with him. 


Weeks past. It is Friday night. The glare of the computer screen hurts my eyes as I watch last year's performance of A Mid Summer's Night Dream. I miss being part of the drama club.


I roll onto my back, staring at the ceiling, waiting for Conner to knock on my door so we can walk to the park together to watch some comets that should be passing by tonight. The shrill ring of the phone cuts through my thoughts. I answer, expecting Conner, ready to give me some excuse for why he is late. I am right, but didn't guess what he was going to tell me. Apparently his big brother Matthew is dragging him across the country again for another week long field trip. 


I hang up the phone, silently fuming as I throw binoculars into my bag and stride out the door to walk to the park alone. “No way I'm going to miss these comets.” I hate it when Conner leaves on trips and I have to be at school without him, it is only just bearable when he is there. I sullenly contemplate sitting alone at lunch for five days and know that I am pouting. I drag my feet as I walk to the end of my street, already dreading the coming week of math without Conner to pull me through it.


I stop as I see what looks like a pure white rabbit, no not a rabbit; it is far too big to be a rabbit.


Waiting for a car to pass so I can cross the street and get closer to see what the white animal is, I hear footsteps behind me and spin around grinning, for some reason expecting to see Conner, ready to tell me that he'd decided not to leave me after all. The grin falls from my face as I see Sebastian a couple of yards behind me, that small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth again. I scowl, realizing that Conner isn't coming to my rescue, and turn back to cross the road. 


I hear musical laughter behind me and repress a shiver, quickening my pace as I turn onto the next street to the park. The weeks since the party has done nothing positive for my opinion of him.


Suddenly he is striding along next to me, hands casually stuffed into his pockets and eyes on the path ahead, as if I don't exist. I cross my arms over my chest, staring at my feet as I plod along; if he is going to ignore me then I'll just ignore him right back. I deliberately walk slower than I would have if I was alone, forcing him to shorten his long strides in order to keep pace with me. 


We walk in silence for two blocks before I crack, already angry because of Conner leaving me alone again. 


“What do you want!" I snap, stopping to face him. 


He stops in time with me, his smile stretching to fill his face as he turns his gray eyes to stare into mine, and irritatingly, I feel my pulse quicken as I am once again struck forcibly by his perfectly angular features. 


"Just to talk to you, Stella," he replies, his voice liquid velvet. My voice sticks in my throat as I search for a suitably sarcastic retort, but end up settling on turning away from him and continuing up the street towards the park. 


He keeps his stride in time with mine and we walk along in uncomfortable silence. I tilt my head to look at him and am aggravated to see that he is grinning. We walk another block to the end of the street in silence before I find my voice.


“Why?" I ask, stopping again. He turns towards me, his eyes thoughtful.


"I'm not sure," he replies, holding my gaze. "There's something about you"" he trails off, considering me, and, infuriatingly, I find myself wishing he'd keep talking, just so I can listen to the melody of his voice. He smiles down at me and I can't help returning it with one of my own, the laughter in his eyes catching. 


I pull my eyes from his and look down at my feet, embarrassed by his searching gaze. I hear his musical chuckle and my head snaps back up to see his grin splitting his face in two.


"I'm nothing special," I growl through my teeth, my cheeks flushing.


"Forgive me if I don't take your word on that one. I know I was a jerk before, Stella. I was trying to protect you," he replies, his voice tinkling with emotion, and I feel him place his hand on my arm. Once again I am struck by that strange feeling, as if an electric charge has run through my body, starting from his finger tips into my arm.


I jerk away from the unexpected contact; his hand feels strange on my skin; somehow the same temperature as the cool morning air surrounding us. I see his smile falter and suddenly I am sorry for pulling away from him, and am overcome with a strange urge to comfort him. 


I smile reluctantly at him, and when his face lifts in response I feel my heart pound. We stand grinning at each other for what seems like hours before the dong of the local clock tower rings in the distance, and suddenly I'm pulled back to reality. It is 11 o'clock and the meteors are passing overhead.


We both look towards the tower, and I can feel my disappointment, echoed by his own. I start hurrying down the street, feeling aggravatingly sad at my time with this boy being cut short. 


As we walk I wonder at my change of heart; only half an hour earlier I'd felt a deep dislike for this boy, and now, after a few words from him I want to comfort him when I had accidentally hurt his feelings. I still don't like him, but the fire fueling my dislike seems to have gone out. I am annoyed at myself for being so easily swayed, and I try to focus on the reasons I'd disliked him in the first place: his infuriating rudeness, and his seemingly reasonless dislike of my best friend.


When we get to park I linger on the steps of the park entrance, shamefully reluctant to leave Sebastian. I turn to him and see him staring down towards the side of the lot where a man in an oversized, black coat is sitting upon a bench. Sebastian's expression is anxious. I open my mouth to ask what is wrong, but I don't get the chance.


"Stella, you need to get away from here," he says in a low voice, his tone urgent. I stare at him in shock, my mouth still hanging.


"What?" I ask, slowly, carefully. I dislike Sebastian less than I had yesterday, but I’m certainly not sure yet if I trust him. There is a strange, persistent feeling in the back of my mind, as if I should be terrified by him. 


I watch him as he paces back and forth in front of me; he seems to be trying to look in every direction at once now, his eyes wide as he surveys the park around us. I follow his gaze, but can't see anything at all. The man that had been sitting in the bench is gone.


"Sebastian, what's going on?" I step towards him, stretching my arm out to grab his, but he moves out of my reach.


"You have to leave," he hisses. "Get away from here, Stella." He stops looking around for a moment to stare at me. Suddenly his face collapses, and I take another step towards him, shocked by the pain in his expression.


"What's wrong?" I whisper, standing in front of him now, trying to hold his gaze with my own. He drops to his knees, clutching his head between his palms.


"He's coming" shut up, Ari!" he trails off, a thin groan escaping his lips. "It's too late." I stare down at him, a knot of worry forming in my stomach. 


I kneel, taking Sebastian's shoulders between my hands. His head down, my hands on his shoulders, I can feel something bristling under his cashmere sweater and heavy coat. I push myself to my feet, fear gripping my middle as I stare, transfixed, at Sebastian's face. His eyes are engulfed in blackness. His lips pulled slowly back over his teeth, his jaw clenched, and a low moan escapes his throat. 


"I can't stop it. It hurts!" he groans, falling forward onto his hands. 


I stand over him, my mind blank, feeling entirely out of my depth. Wondering desperately if I should call an ambulance, if he is having some sort of episode.


I pace back and forth in front of Sebastian, still on his hands and knees. Suddenly in a single swift movement he is standing, facing away from me. For a fleeting second I wonder if I'd imagined his fit and eyes.


The strain in his voice is obvious though, and I know I hadn't imagined his pain. "Run, Stella. Run as fast as you can."


He rests his weight onto his back foot and stands waiting, but for what, I have no idea. I wonder helplessly if he is going insane, surely this isn't the behavior of a sane person. I stand behind him, watching as he stands waiting, his muscles locked.


"Sebastian" I start, but stop abruptly as a low growling fill the air, pushing everything else from my mind. I've never heard a sound more terrifying, and something instinctual freezes my muscles in place. 


I realize that the sound is coming from in front of me, from Sebastian, and I force my legs to carry me a step backwards, away from him. He is clearly insane. Slowly he turns his head to look at me, and I choke back a scream. 


His eyes are entirely black, absent of any color or tone, as if the light doesn't hit them at all. Two twisted horns protrude out of his hairline, arching back over his hair. Movement behind him. The sound of cloth tearing fills the too quiet night. With a pop and a rip something bursts forth from his back. Slowly, extending up and out from his shoulders, unfolding with an almost inaudible series of soft snaps and creaks.

 

His wings.

 

They aren't like an angels, white, warm, welcoming, and magnificent; Sebastian’s are raw and intimidating, jagged and terrifying. They are black as the night surrounding them and enormous, rising twice as tall as Sebastian himself, and curve up into the sky and to either side like broad black sails. Their broad expanse catches the light of the stars and reflects it more intensely, so that they glows with an iridescent shimmer. Near his body they lighten, shading into a rich earthy cream color where they meet his shoulder muscles. But along their tattered edges, they grow thin and glow, becoming almost translucent at the blacked jagged tips.

 

I stumble backwards, trying to tear my eyes from his wings, terror gripping my body.


"RUN!" he roars, his features almost unrecognizable in his rage. My legs obey him now, and I sprint across the gravel and onto the sidewalk, the ground flying below my feet as I try to put as much distance between myself and Sebastian. 


When I can't run anymore, I fall to my knees on the footpath and wrap my arms around my torso in an attempt to control the shaking that rocks my frame. 


The image of Sebastian's face fills my mind, and I shudder, forcing down the sobs that threaten to incapacitate me. 


I don't know how long I stay here, locked in this position, but my iPhone buzzes as it vibrates in my pocket, and I am pulled forcibly back to reality. I fumble it out of my jeans and see Conner's name on the caller ID. I answer quickly, fighting to control my voice. 


"Conner," I choke, biting back tears.


"Stella!" he shouts, and relief at hearing his voice floods through me; I suddenly feel safe. "Where the hell are you?" He asks urgently, anxiousness heavy in his tone. My heart begins to speed up again at edge to his voice, and I fight back a fresh wave of hysteria.


"I don't know," I whisper, unable to make myself speak any louder. A part of me still waiting for Sebastian to jump out at me, teeth bared and ready to attack. My eyes scan the night sky, terrified.


"You have to get out of town, Stella," Conner says, his voice uncertain. I can hear other voices speaking urgently in the background.


"What?" I ask, the echo of Sebastian's words constricting my breathing again. The sobs I'd been holding back force themselves to the surface, shaking my body.


"Stella?" I can hear a second edge to his voice now, sharper than the first. He is afraid. "Where are you?" he asks again, forcefully. "What's happened?"


"Sebastian," I manage between my sobs. I hear a sharp intake of breath over the phone, and the low sound of Conner speaking to someone in the background. 


"Did he hurt you?" he asks his voice hard.


“No," I whisper, dragging air into my lungs, pushing the sobs back down. "There's something wrong with him, Conner." The image of his wings flash across my vision, and a shudder shakes my body, the memory of the rage on his face clear in my mind. "I got away from him; I ran, and I ran, until I couldn't anymore. I was so scared, Conner." My voice cracks and I can feel the panic rising in my chest, gripping at my throat. 


Conner is silent on the other end of the phone, but I can still hear people speaking in the background. I sit on the ground with my knees pulled into my chest, waiting for him to say something.


"I'm coming to get you," he says eventually, worry clear in his tone. "Don't move. Everything's going to be fine, I promise." I continue pressing the phone to my ear, but he hangs up. I don't bother wondering how he will find me; I just know that he will. 


My breathing slows almost back to normal and my heart rate steadies, Conner's promise ringing in my ears. I shut my eyes tight and stay where I am, obeying Conner's instructions.


After only a few minutes, I hear running footsteps from behind me. For a short moment I can't breathe again, imagining Sebastian coming for me, his eyes black as night. Then I hear Conner's soothing voice and I feel completely safe; I know he will never let anyone hurt me. 


I feel warm arms wrap securely around my frame, and then Conner is carrying me, whispering reassurances in my ear. I bury my head into his shoulder, trying to control my shaking, but it doesn't seem that important, now that Conner is with me.


I don't ask where he is taking me, but after a while when my sobs subside I look up. Two unfamiliar figures walk in front of us, a man and a woman, heads together as they speak in low, urgent voices. I wonder who these strangers are, but the thought disappears as I look around and see that we are walking down my street, towards my house. 


I struggle slightly in Conner's arms, indicating to him that I want to walk on my own. I’m sure if I can manage speaking yet, but I feel certain that I can handle walking. Conner looks into my eyes before he sets me on my feet, concern creasing his brow. 


He wraps his fingers through mine as we walk, seeming reluctant to let me go. I squeeze his hand, glad for his touch, now more than ever before. We walk in silence to my house, the only sound the low whispering coming from the two figures in front of us. Standing on my doorstep, Conner speaks in a hushed voice, as if he is afraid of being overheard. 


"Go inside and pack some clothes," he murmurs, holding both my hands in his own, gripping them tightly.


"What?" I stammer, shock constricting my chest at the thought of being anywhere but curled up my in bed, hidden from the world. When he'd said before that I'd have to leave, I didn't realize he meant so soon.


"It's not safe for you here," he says, his voice soothing. "You need to leave for a while." I feel my knees buckle underneath me and am dimly aware of Conner supporting my weight, his face stricken. My mind races at the implications of his words, but I don't think to argue with him; I know in my heart that he would never ask me to do something like this unless it was the only option, and that is all the reason I needed.


"Will you stay with me?" I whimper staring up at him, suddenly fearful of his answer; the thought of going away on my own was suffocating.


"Of course," he replies, cupping my cheek in his hand, holding my gaze. "I'm always going to take care of you." Relief floods through me; the knowledge that Conner will be with me makes leaving my home and my family, suddenly seem possible. I know that as long as I have Conner with me I can do anything. 


I smile weakly up at him, my lip trembling as I think about what I'll say to my mother; an image of mom's face pushing itself unwontedly into my head, making my eyes sting and my throat burn. Conner wraps his arms around my frame, pulling me into his chest.


"It won't be for long," he whispers, stroking my hair. 


I sigh heavily, forcing thoughts of my mother to the back of my mind. Pulling myself from Conner's arms I turn away from him, walking alone into my house.



© 2017 DeNine


Author's Note

DeNine
Let me know what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great plot, however I strongly recommend you define the paragraphs better through indents, etc. Having the entirety of the chapter bunched together causes the readers focus to stray and eyes wander.

But altogether, good work.

- G.W.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

DeNine

6 Years Ago

Thank you for reading so much! Yes I am actually uploading a fully formatted version right this seco.. read more
DeNine

6 Years Ago

I also just updated the formatting on chapter 9 if you want to read on :)
goddessofwriting

6 Years Ago

Great! Just finished reading chapter ten and looking forward to the future additions.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
1 Review
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 17, 2017
Last Updated on October 21, 2017


Author

DeNine
DeNine

Houston, TX



About
I came on here to help me become a better author. I am currently working on my novel, WHAT AM I?: Nephilim's Fall. I would like any help I can get with my novel. I haven't had any formal education in .. more..

Writing