CLOSED BOOK

CLOSED BOOK

A Poem by DRIVEN

REMAINING LONELY BUT NOT ALONE
ALWAYS HIDDEN INSIDE YOURSELF
NOT A BOOK EASILY READ,
AMONG THE ROWS OF TITLES ON A SHELF


WHAT DOES THE COVER SAY?
IS IT THE KEY TO WHAT'S INSIDE?
OR DOES THE OUTLINE BEGIN TO EXPLAIN
SOME OF THE TRUTHS? ANY OF THE LIES?


PERSPECTIVE LOST IN THE BEGINNING CHAPTERS
CONFUSING TO SAY THE LEAST
UNTIL YOU LOOK AT SOME CHOSEN PAGES
THE ONES THAT HAVE A CORNER CREASED

 

COVERED IN COMPLACENCY
TOO MANY WORDS LEFT UNSAID
TO ANYONE BUT YOURSELF
BOOK REMAINING STILL UNREAD

 


 

© 2008 DRIVEN


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice write. As with everything I've read of yours, this is very well penned. I don't quite understand the use of caps, but I like it nonetheless. Great work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I found myself in books for many years. I hid there. Unwilling to step out in the light of day. One day I found my words--and that has made all the difference.

I can identify with this closed book very well.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I looked in on you yesterday and found this poem, which moved me so much I didn't know immediately what to say about it. This can and does apply to many of us, I think, on any given day. Those last four lines reveal how we waste our selves in hiding. A fine concept and well carried out.

Posted 15 Years Ago


What a great poem! I think the metaphor is lovely.

This is my favorite part...
>UNTIL YOU LOOK AT SOME CHOSEN PAGES
THE ONES THAT HAVE A CORNER CREASED

Posted 15 Years Ago


"REMAINING LONELY BUT NOT ALONE"

Lonely but not alone. Beautiful. Physically--not alone. Spiritually--lonely.

Sometimes, I can really be that unread book you're talking about. But mostly, the poem reminded me of my father. It sums up a lot of my family members actually. Maybe because it's common in my family that I tend to be magnetically drawn to such a horrid lifestyle. Supressing the pain and anguish. Pretending, pretending, pretending. You feel like you're drowning in your own private ocean. Suffocating on your own little feelings. The pain is unbearable, but you're that stubborn "CLOSED BOOK." A nice topic for poetry. A disease which plagues many people, and a demon which we all try to break away from. We all work our way out of it. I know I did.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very nice characterisation of subject matter. Yet, somehow, the regularity in rhyme makes him/her so predictable - and then not.

Complexity of character could be further expanded on. But all in all, a fine piece of work. Thanks for sharing! :)

Loves,
Raven

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

281 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 9, 2008

Author

DRIVEN
DRIVEN

philadelphia, PA



About
Not much to say. I have been a writer or attempted to be for many years now...I like to write about the crazy thoughts I have or things that happen to me. Mostly I write from other's perspectives, m.. more..

Writing
[untitled] [untitled]

A Poem by DRIVEN



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..