Baller

Baller

A Story by Christopher Shawn Doyle
"

Waning seconds of a game find a player in a tight spot

"

The deafening sound in the gymnasium was little more than a low rumble in Omar’s ears as he lowered his head, pivoted to his right and held the ball away from his body out of the defender's reach.  Then he stood straight up and took a quick jab step to his left; the defender mirrored his movement but over played the feint, creating distance between them, giving him time to glance at the game clock and see the time go from six seconds to five.  He began his dribble with his right hand moving quickly to his right not allowing the defender to close on him...one one-thousand - four seconds. The defender, who had subbed in after the time out, had fresh legs and was quick sought to trap him against the sideline as another defender rushed up from the bottom of the key.  Omar saw him coming and was ready to make the pass to Terry who was planted on the bottom right block, his hand up calling for the ball momentarily unguarded the entire gym seeing him open, then seeing the rotating defender flash in front of him cutting off the passing lane…three one thousand…two seconds.  He planted hard with his right foot, cutting back to his left, crossing his dribble over beneath his left leg just out of reach of the quick defender’s reaching right hand, saw Mr. Quick stumble, his fresh legs trying to stop and change direction all at once, felt his fingertips graze his knee while the other defender skidded to a stop to avoid a collision...four one thousand �" one second left or maybe less, the near trap and steal making him unsure of his internal clock.  There wasn't enough time now.  No time to lob to Big Terry like coach had drawn up, no time to drive to the basket and dump it off to Rip or Derrick when the defense collapsed on him, no time kick it out to Jay for the wide open jumper, no time to lay it up, no time to try to draw contact and get to the free throw line, no time to do anything but take two more quick dribbles, gather his legs beneath him and launch a high arching jumper toward the basket…five one thousand…zero.  It was a few inches out of his hand when the horn went off, he saw the arm of the referee nearest him shoot straight up to signal the attempt had been in time, saw the other players turn to watch the flight of the ball, saw the fans lean in their seats and on their feet, saw the cheerleaders yelling, saw the ball rotating as it began its downward arc.

© 2011 Christopher Shawn Doyle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the word action conveyed here. It also brings to mind that life doesn't always have a perfect ending, but we must press on.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

174 Views
1 Review
Added on December 27, 2011
Last Updated on December 27, 2011

Author

Christopher Shawn Doyle
Christopher Shawn Doyle

Ewa Beach, HI



About
Lifelong reader/writer of fiction, essays and history. Have always always loved the writen word and hope to see if I can perfect my story telling ability. more..

Writing