One Little Secret

One Little Secret

A Chapter by Damac
"

Some friends are more interesting than others

"
Andrew was sitting on the houses back porch, watching a storm roll in. It had been a long saturday, as he hadn't done anything. The other kids had taken the T.V and the living room, and he just wanted alone time. 
As he sat in the chair, he heard the screen door open and shut, and out came Kyle, cheery as ever.
"So what are you up too?" She asked, sitting down in a chair next to Andrew.
"Nothing, and I kinda want to keep it that way."
"Yeah? Well thats too bad. It's dinner time come on." Kyle jumped up, and forcefully pulled Andrew up to his feet.
"I can get up myself ya know?"
Kyle smirked, "I know, but that was more fun."
Andrew walked up to the table following Kyle. He pulled out his seat and was bout to sit down when Mrs. Smith spoke up. "Andrew, Andy's not here yet can you go and find him."
Andre gave a look of annoyance, but no less, asked, "Where would he be."
"He's been playing around in the empty room."
"Empty room?"
"A spare room in case we ever want to foster more kids, he's been there a lot, can you go check?"
"Yeah, sure."
Andrew began to walk toward the staircase, up the stairs, past the boys room, past the girls room, past the master bedroom, and to the last door in the hallway.
Andrew opened the door slowly and saw Andy sitting cross legged, back to Andrew, in the middle of the floor, a couple of trucks and other toys spread around him.
"Andy, it's time for dinner."
Andy quickly turned around "Okay, coming." Andy started to stand up.
"What were you doing."
"Just playing." Andy pushed his way past Andrew and out the door. As Andrew closed the door, he looked back at where Andy was playing. He cld see an impression of Andy's behind in the dust on the floor, and right in front of it was another impression. Confused, Andrew closed the door and left.
Back at the table, the group began to eat. Andrew looked at Mr. Smith, a rather large man wearing his suit. He worked 6 days a week, from 4-7. Andrew barley knew him and he seemed very imposing. Andrew felt a little uncomfortable with him around.
The dinner went on in silence, when suddenly there was a roar of thunder and a flash of lightning. Tim and Andy screamed, while everyone else looked around.
"What afraid of a little lightning?" Luke said. A second flash went off and the lights turned out.
"Yes." Andrew said "Yes he is."
After dinner, Mr. Smith went down to the basement t.v room to check the fusebox, only to discover it was flooded. He told the kids to wait in the living room, where Mrs. SMith had begun setting up candles. Andrew and Kyle sat on the couch, and Andy curled up in between them.
"Can't we just go to bed?" Luke complained.
"The Smiths want to keep us in check." Andrew said.
"We aren't animals."
"No, were their kids."
Luke quieted himself after that, and for the next couple minutes the kids sat in silence. Then Andy asked, "Can I go play in the empty room?"
"No, Andy i'm sorry." Kyle said.
"Can I at least get my toys?"
"Only if Andrew goes with you."
"Why do I have to go with him?" Andrew asked.
"To make sure he comes back silly." Kyle smirked.
Andrew shot her an angry look as Andy jumped off the couch and began to walk towards the big room.
"I hate you." Andrew whispered
"You'll thank me someday."
The two walked to the end of the hallway and opened the door where Andy grabbed his things. As Andrew looked into the room, he saw a young girl i the corner of the room, facing the wall.
"Hello, Hallie is that you?" Andrew called out.
"No silly." Andy said "That's Tabby."
"Tabby?" 
"Yes, yes it is." The girl said, turning around. Andrew took a look at her face. Pale, almost pure white. Her eyes seemed sunken and sad. She had long blonde hair below her shoulders, and big brown eyes.
"What are you doing in here?" 
"I'm always here."
"You weren't here earlier."
"I was, you just didn't see me."
"Are you new to the foster home?"
"No."
"Well do the smiths know your here?"
"No."
"Oh so you broke in." Andrew said, a little freaked out. "Andy come over here." 
"No, I've always been here."
Andrew put an arm around Andy, "Well, it'd be great if you'd at least come with me, ya know, meet the Smiths an stuff."
"I can't leave this room."
"Oh really why not?"
"She's bound here." Andy said, speaking up.
"What the boy says is true. I'm bound here."
"Umm, okay then. Andy, could you please tell Kyle to come up here?"
About 5 minutes later Kyle walked in the door, "Andrew whats going on? Andy said to come up and... oh. Hello there?" Kyle said, noticing Tabby.
"Hello."
Kyle grabbed Andrew and spun him around, "Who is she?" Kyle whispered.
"I don't know, Andy does though. I think he has been playing with her." Andrew whispered back.
"Does she need help? Is she hiding here?"
"I don't know take a look at her. She looks sick and beat up. Maybe she just needs to get away from something."
The two turned back to Tabby, "Um Tabby..." Andrew began "We are going to take you to meet the Smiths now. Okay?" Andrew reached out to grab her arm, but his hand passed right through hers. He let out a gasp as a sharp chill ran up his arm and into his back.
"I told you I can't leave."
"Tabby... What are you?" Andrew asked, Kyle stood in stunned silence.
Tabby sighed, "If you must know... I am a spirit bound to walk this earth."
"W-what?" Kyle asked.
"I'm a ghost. 80 years ago, when this house was first built, I remember getting terribly sick. My parents did all that they could, but the doctors said their was nothing they could do."
"And there wasn't..." Andrew said.
"Exactly, I died here when I was 13, and have "peacefully" haunted the room ever since. I cannot leave, and I do not know why. I gain all my knowledge by using things left in the room."
"What do you mean interact?"
"I can still touch things, look." Tabby reached out and rubbed her hand over Andrews cheek. Andrew felt the cold touch, but this time it didn't enter his body. "I watch T.V's, read magazines and newspapers, and use computers to stay up to date on the world."
"Well... we have to tell someone about you." Kyle said.
"I know of the four other children in this house. You may tell them,but not the adults. I can not imagine what an adult would do to me."
Andrew began to leave, Kyle right behind him, when he thought of one last question. "Tabby, have you ever revealed yourself before?"
"No never." 
"So Andy was the first. Why?"
"He had kindness and innocence in his heart, something i detect in each of the kids here."
"Oh well, goodbye Tabby."
"Goodbye, and for future reference, my full name is Tabitha."
"Alright, well goodbye." Andrew walked out an shut the door, as he did, the lights turned on. Bright as ever.


© 2011 Damac


Author's Note

Damac
Really experimental chapter. The new character is going to become a sort of guide to the kids.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

182 Views
Added on August 21, 2011
Last Updated on November 18, 2011
Tags: Kids, Family, Fear, Ghost


Author

Damac
Damac

New York City, NY



About
I'm just a writer looking for a place where I can write without limitations! I am currently Writing Four Stories: Operation School: What Lies Ahead - A sequel to my first ever work of writing, O.. more..

Writing
Chapter I: The Calm Chapter I: The Calm

A Chapter by Damac


The Regulator The Regulator

A Book by Damac