Drop The "R" Word

Drop The "R" Word

A Poem by Tasha
"

I'm tired of people using this word in a negative way.

"
"That's so retarded!"

To you it seems like a 'normal' word
that people use out of anger,
to be funny,
or by accident
Never realizing what those words really mean
to someone in that predicament
Somebody else takes it offensively,
of course you don't say it to be mean
but only to get your point across,
 no matter what you think
you're still hurting another human being
You shouldn't put individuals down
to fit in with today's word choices
it's not fair to them...

SO LETS JUST...

DROP THE "R" WORD!!

© 2011 Tasha


Author's Note

 Tasha
I know this may not be my best piece but I am tired of people using the word retarded. It really bugs me because there are really people this way and they just use it for no reason.

A couple of months ago my school did a "Spread the word, to end the word" for the word, and I think more schools and business should use this...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Absolutely! Every time you say something is "retarded" you offend every person who is truly defined under that word.

re·tard·ed (r-tärdd)
adj.
1. Often Offensive Affected with mental retardation.
2. Occurring or developing later than desired or expected; delayed.

Is that what people mean when they say "thats retarded". Most of the time no, but if they cant repect others and know exactly what they are saying they shouldnt say it at all. Outstanding poem :) 10/10


Posted 12 Years Ago


6 of 6 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I was once really bad about using the word "retarded." I never used it offensively, but I would joke around with my friends and call them "retards" or "retarded". It was a bad habit. Then, I did a project for FCCLA where I worked with Special Olympics and mentally disabilities. I realized how saying that can hurt their self esteem and really hurt them, so now I try my hardest not to say it.

Anyways, the poem was great!! The style was great. Good job!:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

 Tasha

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
My school is doing that now. "Spread the word, to end the word" is someone's senior project. Unfortunately I know many of my classmates (and some teachers) who don't agree with this and continue to use the word retarded inappropriately. Some kids even use it more now than before, just to be jerks. I never really used it in the first place, but I took the pledge and got some friends to do the same. People can just be so cruel at times. good poem to spread the word hun.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

 Tasha

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much!!
Lina Grey

11 Years Ago

:)
 Tasha

11 Years Ago

:)
Great write! I completely agree with you! I'm so tired of hearing this.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

People also say "That is so lame!" and no one seems to think that it may be offensive to those who are, in fact, crippled in some way. If it's wrong to call something "retarded" in the presence of an intellectually disabled person, it is wrong to call something "lame" in the presence of a person in a wheelchair, isn't it?


Posted 12 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I agree.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I am in love with this poem! In fact, many times I hear people say it and I know they don't mean to. That it's habit.


But it shouldn't be.

I support this cause! I even have a braclett that says "eleminate the "R" Word." ^_^ great and meaningful poem

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very true. Saying something is retarded can be offensive and rude. I accidentally say it sometimes, but I always feel bad. Saying something is retarded, gay, etc. is offensive, wrong, and will get you nowhere in life. Try saying "That's retarded" when you are working and not having somebody scold you. This is a good poem and really raises awareness that this language needs to stop. Good job.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

it's true, it's been used, the new trend is "that's gay" which is totally wrong in my opinion...thanks for sharing your message

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Never realizing what those words really mean
to someone in that predicament

Fave part.



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I agree with you. All of us need to be careful what we say and do. Thank you for being direct and honest. If you have nothing good to say. Say nothing is my advice. A excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 3 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2322 Views
86 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on May 3, 2011
Last Updated on May 3, 2011

Author

 Tasha
Tasha

NC



About
Hey, I'm 18 years old and I love writing. "To know me is to love me" "Every heart has a beat and mine just skips for you" Wanna know more? Message me I love to make new friends. &heart.. more..

Writing
Secret Secret

A Poem by Tasha



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Parapraxis Parapraxis

A Poem by OT


Somnolent Moon Somnolent Moon

A Poem by OT


Grey Grey

A Poem by OT


Unimmortal Unimmortal

A Poem by OT