Samadhi

Samadhi

A Story by Daniel Seward
"

A story of a persons lifelong pursuit of happiness.

"

I remember looking at a picture when I was a baby.  It was a snow-capped mountain in Colorado, and I remember thinking it was majestic and beautiful.  A few years later I recall looking at it and thinking it would be nice to see and climb it, and then a few years after that, that it would be nice to look at it like I did when I was a baby.  That was the fist time I thought of the idea of seeing something in a new way by changing my perception of it.

When I was a little older still, I saw the movie The Last Horizon, and I dreamed of living in a distant valley, safe from the outside world.

Just before I went to college I read a number of books on Buddhism.  I knew at the time that I was introverted and looked at life from a psychological point of view, but I was convinced that the Buddhist perspective was valid regardless of this subjectivity.  I believed in reincarnation, that we are evolving spiritually, and that there was an ultimate experience of realization called Samadhi.

I experimented with meditation many times while studying in college but did not have any real experience that was noteworthy...until just after graduating when I became jobless and broke.  I was sitting penniless and despondent in my apartment with the rent overdue, wondering if life was worth it; when it occurred to me that I might dump this feeling and move on.  I noticed that my worry was like a painful vortex stirring in my solar plexus.  I thought: what would it be like to just let go of this sensation and be free.  This thought was like a suggestion that triggered a release and suddenly instead of pain I had a great feeling of peace and psychological freedom.  The sensation of freedom lingered for about a day, then reality set in--I had to get a job.

Over the next few years I attempted to repeat the experience, trying to let go.  But I was trying way too hard.  Occasionally, when I was disturbed, I found I could sometimes just let go and have a repeat of the profound peace.  But most of the time I was straining to relive the Samadhi experience I thought I should be having.  Meanwhile, I was reading about "levels of being"--deeper and deeper states of consciousness one could supposedly attain.

At one point I noticed something: If you expected to experience a state you read about, you eventually did  in some way.  I also notice that the mind never stayed in one state and that notions that one could live from certain glorified states were nonsense. 

Pretty soon I began questioning other things I had read about meditation.  I determined that enlightened states were too passive to perform as well as when one is amped up with nervous energy--football players and concert pianists don't meditate before performing, they psych themselves up.  Creativity has a lot to do with effort and editing rather than letting go, though letting go can sometimes play an important role in it.  And meditating doesn't necessarily make one a better, nicer person.


Now, years later, I spontaneously meditate when the mood hits me, for about twenty minutes.  I look at it as a break from normal consciousness, and I feel freer by not being idealistic about it than I ever did in the past. 

© 2017 Daniel Seward


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

65 Views
Added on April 6, 2017
Last Updated on April 18, 2017
Tags: meditation, samadhi, happiness

Author

Daniel Seward
Daniel Seward

Grand Rapids, MN



About
I like nature, running, classical music, and I read everything. I have been writing a variety of genres over the years and was hoping I could get reviewed/read by interested parties. Most of my stuf.. more..

Writing