Lucid

Lucid

A Story by Danna Castro

I started staggering down the street, looking for some sort of miracle to come around the corner. I found myself taking a seat on a worn out park bench instead, but like some sort of stupid soap opera character, I do look around the corner and try to look for something to come along and save me from this endless nightmare. I haven't been with any of my friends for the past week and it's different. I told myself that I could live without them (something that i thought was true) but obviously I was wrong. I receive the nth message from my friend Caleb which I pretend not to mind, but the thought that someone is thinking of me provoke me to read the first few lines. He was looking for me, that's nice to know. I didn't really care if people worry or are scared for me, I know they're just trying to make it look that way but deep inside I know they really don't care. 
"What a day, eh?" The old man next to said in a slightly hesitant manner. I nodded in response but really didn't want to have a conversation with an old man about my day, so I moved to the other bench. Across me there was the lake, An endless, flowing reminder of all the good times I had with my brother. We loved this lake, it wasn't clean or filled with ducks or anything, it's just a better view than the smog filled skyline outside the apartment.
I looked around and saw that there was no one but the old man reading the obituary column of the newspaper. I stood up and took a better look at the filthy lake. I went over the border, like how my brother did back in the days. I sat down on said border and took a deep breath in. I watched the sun set and watched the misty evening take it's place in the horizon.
I tucked my hair behind my ear and let the dusty wind blow on my now pale face. It was cold. That's all I know. It's been cold for the past couple of months after my brother's death, and it became even colder as i lost my four friends. I felt my phone vibrate and there was Caleb. I swiped to answer the call and heard a few huffs of air before a frantic medley of words came about.
"What are you doing? I can see you! Get down from there!" He said in the melodic tone of panic. I felt a tear roll down my cheek and opened my mouth to let some words out, but none came.
 
I stand up on the thin cement coated border and turned around to see a frantic Caleb charging towards me. I drew the phone to my face and whispered "Goodbye."
I let gravity pull me down as I let my knees get weak under me, and for a slight second I felt numb, before a distraught arm found its way around my waist. I let myself get weak and heavy but to no avail since the panic-stricken Caleb has pulled me safety.
"Are you insane, what were you thinking?" He said in a somewhat loud overtone dubbed with the sound of him holding back his tears. I looked at him straight in the eyes and blinked once. He took me in a warm embrace but I didn't return the favor as I watched the old man with the newspaper shake his head at me.
I gathered my courage and sat up, looking straight at him, but not saying a word. "How'd you know where I am?" I asked him under my breath.
"I didn't." He said in reply.
"Then how did you know I was going to jump?" I asked him in the same muffled tone.
"I didn't." he said once again.
"Then why are you here?" I asked him with more anger in my voice.
"I'm not. Ayah, we don't care." He said before he transitioned away.
Just like that I was standing again, looking at the still setting sun. I turned around and saw no one. Not the old man, no Caleb and now, no me. I let gravity pull me into reality and let myself fall into the warm embrace of the lake. I watched my hands flow in front of me, and my eyes wandered around and saw that still, no one was there. I plunged into the murky grey of the lake and inhaled the pungent aroma of my silent death. I gave myself a dream come true and whispered my last words.
"No one cares."

© 2014 Danna Castro


Author's Note

Danna Castro
This is just something that popped into my head :) Please comment on any aspect of the story! (only if you want to)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

99 Views
Added on February 17, 2014
Last Updated on February 17, 2014
Tags: Short story, sad story

Author

Danna Castro
Danna Castro

Antipolo, 4A, Philippines



About
Age is just a word, my age is just a number; neither define who I am as a whole. more..

Writing
Should've Should've

A Story by Danna Castro