Longing for The City Sidewalks in Autumn

Longing for The City Sidewalks in Autumn

A Story by DannyLynne Riley

There is a time of year when the locks on the tender box of my heart are pried open...a time of year that drips in melencholy and lays my dreams out urgent and bare before me. I struggle to keep my composure...always in vain for as the leaves begin to fall so do my tears and life seems to change  against this back drop of Autumn.
  What is it about this season that even the light is different? The sun seems to shine from another angle casting richer and deeper shadows along the sidewalks and a sadness swells inside my soul. I find myself longing for a home Ive never known...a city Ive never set foot on except during my travels of slumber and I harbor a restlessness thats never so great as it is in the Fall.
  As I travel these walk ways each morning, latte in hand' and feel the crisp air biting at my cheeks something stirs deep within me. An almost unsettled feeling envelopes my soul and the wind becomes a whispering voice of wisdom telling me that my dreams await me elsewhere...telling me that the life I seek cannot be found here. As my boot clad feet click smartly against the pavement, the crunch of fallen leaves beneath me, I turn towards the East and stare. For one small moment in time it is all within my grasp. I can almost see the tall brownstone townhouses...the sky scrapers and the Empire State Building. I can hear the honking horns of the yellow cabs and feel the thrumbing of millions of people rushing and talking and living the life I so long for. My eyes well with unshed tears and my spirit aches.
I vow, out loud, to one day make a road for myself. Perhaps this passion so deeply housed inside the words that I attempt to spin into poems and essay's, will one day serve as stepping stones to this city that has consumed my heart...this city that is forever calling my name. 
  But for now, as I struggle each month, just to keep the lights on and this roof over my head I will strive for the day when the words rolling around in my head might dance off my pen and onto the page in just the right order. The perfect combination of wit and beauty. Sparking the hearts of Literary beholders and be bound into print. Thus providing a vehicle to transport me to the place where my dreams and my future would not only intermingle, but collide with the same force that drives me to dream out loud and in color. To propel me with momentum into a reality of my own making.
  Perhaps Next Autumn will find me scurrying down the leaf strewn sidewalks of New York City...latte in hand...boot clad feet clicking smartly against the pavement

© 2010 DannyLynne Riley


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ron
I know you well baby and your writing surprises me every time. I can feel your longing and hope and desire, Your story sings to me and even makes autumn special for me. My wish of course is that I would be the one to send you to New York, But I agree with the other writers your dream will come true. Mabey you will live there mabey you just visit but either way Im sure you will walk those streets. Very well wrote enchanting, a little girls dreams unfolding. Love Ron

Posted 13 Years Ago


your dream is a gorgeous pearl becoming reality . . . . your writing breathes with a life of its own~ enwrapping~ beautiful textures~ sensate subtlety in every line~

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you write beautifully DannyLynne ~ I can hear those footsteps leading in the right direction ~

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 24, 2010
Last Updated on October 31, 2010

Author

DannyLynne Riley
DannyLynne Riley

Eugene, OR



About
I was born in Springfield Oregon...but grew up in the Southern regions of the country. At age 15 I entered into a world of prostitution and heroin addiction that nearly claimed my life. Through it .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I'm sorry I'm sorry

A Poem by Emily B