A Shakespearean quote

A Shakespearean quote

A Story by justdandy
"

A quote that is used by many. But does it have a meaning??

"

“To be, or not to be? That is the question-”


I never read Hamlet, never shall I. This is just a quote that every literate should know. Whether you are a Shakespeare fan or not.


But my dear friends, is that the real question? Or is it just an excuse? An excuse to not ask a more specific question. I guess during the Shakespearean era people didn't worry about the stuff we worry today.


“To be, or not to be?” But my fellow colleagues isn't it: To become or not to become? To face or not to face? To wish or not to wish? To continue or not to continue? To give up or stay strong? To write or not to write? To speak or not to speak?


Because everyday we make a choice. To be those who the society expects us to be. To face that gossip girl. To make a wish on that falling star. To continue doing the stuff that you love. Or to just give up. To write that tragic story from your life on paper. To speak out the truth or to approve that one lie.


We ask questions. We judge. We love. We hate. We misuse. We recycle. We are a question mark. We are the ones that make the choice whether to be or not to be.


© 2015 justdandy


Author's Note

justdandy
What is your opinion about this?? I will be glad to hear it. Also if there are any mistakes that you notice, please notify me. This is only my second draft.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is an interesting take on that saying "to be or not to be." It makes perfect sense though, at least to me. I haven't read Hamlet as well, didn't really know what play of his it came from really xD just knew it was Shakespeare lol Sometimes it is up to us to stand up and make a decision instead of waiting by, but there are also times to wait patiently for the right timing as well. Though, I guess we shouldn't be too afraid to make a decision we just need to be careful in what we decide and hopefully learn from our mistakes.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

justdandy

8 Years Ago

thank you :)
~*~Peace Keeper~*~

8 Years Ago

^^ You're welcome!



Reviews

Fun write! I don't remember much of the story, but I think Shakespeare was talking about being proactive or not. Seems he felt , "to be", meant to make some impact with your actions, which I feel is a good idea.

Posted 8 Years Ago


justdandy

8 Years Ago

Thank you, Mattavelli!! :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
VP
Its something I never really thought of. You really are an amazing writer...

Posted 8 Years Ago


justdandy

8 Years Ago

Thank you. :)
i always understood that line as being 'dammed if you do and dammed if you don't', because no matter what choice hamlet made it wasn't going to going to lead to a happy ending, hence the great tragedy that it is :) , but i understand what your saying and i guess its best to be than rather regret. also great quote and message.

Posted 8 Years Ago


justdandy

8 Years Ago

thank you. Am so glad you liked it. :)
Very creative and smartly written, interesting philosophical musing on one of literature's all-time great lines. Thought provoking, I am sure this will be rolling around in my thoughts for some time, and I love when something makes me think long after I have read it. Bravo! Clap! Clap! Clap!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

justdandy

8 Years Ago

See? This was exactly what I was talking about. I never really read Shakespeare. (I did watch Romeo .. read more
Bear

8 Years Ago

In my time (meaning the 50's 60's and 70's, Shakespeare was required reading in junior high, high sc.. read more
justdandy

8 Years Ago

Yeah, I guess we kind of do Shakespeare. The other day we were reading one of the sonnets that he wr.. read more
I agree on this little story~! It sends a powerful message through a literary work I love! I just read Hamlet about a month ago and I love it~! It actually made me laugh at some parts because of how sarcastic Hamlet is~! (And this is considering I don't like classical literature too much.) And Hamlet is wanting to just be his own person too, and this message still applies today even though this was written like 300 or 400 years ago. It's amazing that we can still relate to this kind of stuff~

Posted 8 Years Ago


justdandy

8 Years Ago

Woww.... I am so glad that I connected to Hamlet. I never read it. It kind is amazing. Thanks.
This is an interesting take on that saying "to be or not to be." It makes perfect sense though, at least to me. I haven't read Hamlet as well, didn't really know what play of his it came from really xD just knew it was Shakespeare lol Sometimes it is up to us to stand up and make a decision instead of waiting by, but there are also times to wait patiently for the right timing as well. Though, I guess we shouldn't be too afraid to make a decision we just need to be careful in what we decide and hopefully learn from our mistakes.

Posted 8 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

justdandy

8 Years Ago

thank you :)
~*~Peace Keeper~*~

8 Years Ago

^^ You're welcome!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 18, 2015
Last Updated on December 18, 2015
Tags: Hamlet, Shakespeare, reality, life, future, teenager, play, show, mask, girls, boys, us, people

Author

justdandy
justdandy

CA



About
"So who are you?" I am an European Smoothie. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..