Too Much Tuna

Too Much Tuna

A Story by Daryl
"

Once in a while bits of stray dialogue seem to fall out of the sky and land in my journal while I'm planning to write about other things. This was one of those. It left before turning into something bigger.

"

 

“It’s not the right stuff, you know.”

 

“Huh?” I don’t know how you would react if your cat suddenly spoke to you after thirteen years of silence and only the occasional “meow”. I jumped, and then I looked around to see who was playing pranks on me.

 

“You’re human, but I know you’re not that  dumb. Down here. There you go.”

 

In retrospect it was obvious that the cat was speaking. They have different vocal cords, after all, and when a cat talks it simply doesn’t sound human. It’s not a voice a human could even imitate without a lot of study and practice. Unless you’ve encountered it before, though, you’re bound to experience a moment’s puzzlement before that realization hits you. My bewilderment actually lasted several moments. I plead overwork. It was late on a Friday evening, after all, and my job that week had been hell.

 

“Uh, what’s not right?” I finally stammered.

 

“The food. It’s never been right.”

 

“You don’t like it?”

 

“I like it, but it’s not the right thing, not at the right time.”

 

“Now I’m really confused.”

 

“It’s like this,” said Mr. Whipple. “I want salmon tonight, but you gave me tuna.”

 

“I thought you liked tuna.”

 

“I do, but I had tuna last night. Don’t you ever get tired of eating the same thing? I know you do. I watch you. You eat Chinese food one night, then Italian, maybe Indian after that, and the next night you have a cheeseburger. If I offered you a cheeseburger when you were hungry for Thai food, would you be happy?”

 

“Well, no. I guess not. But how was I supposed to know? I mean, we’ve lived together all this time and you’ve never spoken before now.”

 

“Lady, how obvious do I have to be? Pacing and rubbing against your shins doesn’t work, you just think I’m being cute. So, I figured I had to learn to speak your language since you obviously weren’t smart enough to understand mine. It’s taken me years of listening, of secretly practicing in front of the mirror and the television, to finally get to where I could do this. I’ve had to overcome all kinds of differences in thought patterns and physiology  -- all so I can ask you to please give me salmon tonight instead of tuna. So, how about it?”

 

“How about what?”

 

“The salmon! Sheesh.”

 

“Oh. Yeah. All right, since you’ve asked so politely.”

 

I opened a can of salmon and started to dump it onto a paper plate as usual. Then I reached for a good bowl instead. Hell, if Mr. Whipple was going to go to all that trouble just to ask me for a salmon dinner, the least I could do was serve it in some nice china.

 

 

© 2008 Daryl


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ljc
Funny and twisted reminds me of a Lewis Caroll take. Enjoyed the read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


My oldest sister, who gives an all new meaning to the term "cat person" would be rolling in the floor at this. Then again, maybe she wouldn't because all of her cats probably tell her what they want for supper. Just don't let kitty know about the fresh salmon, Daryl, or you may have to have canned ravioli for dinner.

Posted 15 Years Ago


LMAO!
Mr. Whipple! Classic Daryl.
What a wonderful little story. It catches you off guard and throws you into a place where you have to make adjustments mentally to keep up. I love it when a story does that to me. Very jazzy and incredibly imaginative. I love when I find something on this site that I haven't heard before. You never dissapoint!
Be well.
M

Posted 15 Years Ago


XD That's really funny and cute! Lol. It makes sense with a cat, too - more than with other animals. Cats are awesome. I like the tone of your dialog - the matter-of-fact way that they're speaking as if was perfectly natural. Good for him - he got some Salmon! Very amusing :).

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love this story and the humourous way that you've written in. If more cats like Mr Whipple were to speak, i wonder what the world would be like. Probably be less tuna in the sea. Thank you for sharing this charming short story with us.

Therisa

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

364 Views
5 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 13, 2008
Last Updated on February 13, 2008

Author

Daryl
Daryl

Never underestimate the potential weirdness of the human psyche.



About
Hello, my name is Daryl and I'm a storyholic. I've always read, and when I get drawn into a tale I can't leave it alone until I know how it ends. Writing is how I sort out my life and my feelings. I.. more..

Writing
The Walker The Walker

A Story by Daryl


Obituary Obituary

A Story by Daryl