Pockets

Pockets

A Story by David Darabian
"

Can the number of pockets deside your future?

"

 

Why is it always in the last pocket you look? Is it God’s bad sense of humour or is it some yet unknown theory that makes it so? Maybe it’s something that is waiting to be recognized, as Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution or Isaac Newton’s law of universal gravitation. Does the number of pockets on your clothes decide in what direction your life is destined to go? To me it did.

“Come on Sarah, hurry up.” She always stalled when they had an important invitation to go to. “You look fine honey, now hurry up please.” He tried not to sound aggravated but she sensed it anyway.
“Yes I’m coming Jonathan, all this dressing up isn’t for me, you know!” she said as she hurried down the stairs with her high heels in one hand and her purse in the other.
“Yeah I know and I really love you for it. I promise you next weekend will be free from dinner conferences, only you, me and a bottle of red wine.”
“You promised me that last weekend and now look where we are!” When she reached him by the door he quickly gave her a kiss on the cheek. He saw a brief smile before she resumed her annoyed posture. “Cut it out John, I swear this is the last time I follow you to one of these goddamned conferences!”
He gave her another kiss, her annoyed posture gave way and she laughed and smiled. “You’re gonna smear my makeup John, you dumbo. Next weekend you better make it up to me!” She always called him dumbo when he did something crazy, clumsy or just stupid. He didn’t know if it was after the flying elephant with the giant ears or from the circus clown whose show they had seen a few years back when they first started dating. As she went out to the taxi waiting for them he stopped to lock the door. Where had he put the key? He searched his inner pockets on his jacket, his trousers, the right outer pocket and finally the left. At last! He picked the key up from his pocket and was about to lock the door when he heard the phone ring.
“One moment hun, phone’s ringing.” He shouted out to her and opened the door to answer the phone.
“Jonathan Stark here.”
He heard a little tune play at the other end and then a strange voice presented itself as Paul Bass, the host of their favourite quiz show Know-how. “What’s the nickname of the flying elephant in Helen Aberson’s children’s book?” Paul Bass said followed by the ticking sound of a clock.
Not knowing whether it was a joke by one of his friends or the real deal he decided to answer the question. “Eh… Dumbo?” he said and waited, almost expecting to hear his friends’ laughter in the other end. Instead he heard a quick fanfare and then Paul Bass again.
“Congratulations Jonathan Stark, you’ve won a weekend for two at the Sapphire Hotel in
Hawaii. Please stay put just a few minutes longer and you will be informed on how to collect your prize.
He looked out at Sarah who was sitting in the backseat of the taxi, who had begun to discuss something with the taxi driver in front. He smiled at her but it didn’t last for long. Everything happened so fast he wasn’t sure whether it was a horrific daydream of reality at its worst. A black BMW crashed into the rear of the taxi in full speed and turned the cars into twisted metal and broken glass.


He picked the Disney postcard of the flying elephant Dumbo from the stack on the counter. He hadn’t heard the name of the flying elephant with the large ears in so many years now.
“That will be 0.50$.”
He looked at the middle aged Asian man behind the counter.
“Will you please hurry mister, I’ve got more customers”, the man said.
Jonathan searched his torn and filthy jacket for some money; he knew he had a buck somewhere.
“If you can’t afford it then please put it back mister.” The man said, there was no mistaking of the annoyance in his tone.
 “Here.” A soft voice from behind him said and laid 0.50$ on the counter. He followed the beautiful hand to a girl who was standing behind him. She had green eyes and brown hair tied in a red ribbon.
“Thank you”, he said.
She smiled at him. “No need to thank me, It was nothing. Dumbo’s my favourite too.”

© 2008 David Darabian


Author's Note

David Darabian
So how many times did the number of pockets deside his future? :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

That was really sad, and I'm not sure what pockets have to do with the story, but I liked it. Even if it did make me feel all upset inside. But I guess that's the point of literature, to produce an emotional experience. Also, I think if you would introduce the origin of his nickname through dialogue instead of interrupting their conversation for a back story it might flow a little better.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A lovely little story here - sad with the loss of his wife but offering hope at the end .

A couple of points here though - I think you mean her "annoyed posture" meaning her stance, the way she holds herself. (posterior means 'bottom' so you were saying (He gave her another kiss, her annoyed posterior (bottom) gave way and she laughed and smiled.)

The other point is (Please stay put just a few minutes longer and you will be informed on how to collect your winning. -- you could add prize here as in winning prize or just to collect your prize.

Overall this is a really good write and the dialogue and interaction between husband and wife is great
( even with her annoyed bottom)

Thank you for writing this one it is a sweet write that shows that even when all things fall to ruins around you, something can happen to turn the tide in your direction and give hope.

Well done.
jen-JG

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very cute ,i would go any were with ya,lol

Posted 16 Years Ago


That was an INCREDIBLE story! I think this would make a very interesting book. Him trying to find out who and why. I think it would be very interesting.

And as a side note, it's always in the last pocket you look in because you'll never keep searching after you've already found it. ;)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh wow. So ironic. Good write

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was really sad, and I'm not sure what pockets have to do with the story, but I liked it. Even if it did make me feel all upset inside. But I guess that's the point of literature, to produce an emotional experience. Also, I think if you would introduce the origin of his nickname through dialogue instead of interrupting their conversation for a back story it might flow a little better.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow, what an imaginative story! You pulled me right in with the intriguing beginning, and right along to the horrible crash, and then through to the hope of possibility at the end. For someone who's been writing for only a year, David, this is remarkable!

Good job :-). I'll be back for more!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

322 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on September 30, 2008

Author

David Darabian
David Darabian

Stockholm, Sweden



About
My name is David Darabian. I'm born and raised in a town called Lund in Sweden and I like most of you guys here I strive to keep creative. I hope you like what I've written, I had fun doing it. .. more..

Writing
B0661 B0661

A Story by David Darabian


Visit Visit

A Story by David Darabian



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Renee Renee

A Story by jmt8921


II II

A Poem by Annalisa