The Dreamhouse - 02 - Abigail

The Dreamhouse - 02 - Abigail

A Story by David Darabian
"

Cinderella in the loon

"

She made a spin and danced across the sparkling floor, it was the grandest room she had ever been in and enjoyed every moment of it. Ever since she had received the invitation to the prince’s birthday she had longed for this moment. She loved to dance, to let herself go to the tunes that played for her by the royal orchestra. She let him take her hand and swirl her around gracefully again, she smiled and as he once again place his hand on her hip. She still felt excited that he had chosen her to dance with when there were so many other people who were more appropriate for a prince, but he had chosen her. Even though she had picked her finest dress it was far less glamorous than what the other ladies attending the ball wore. He held her close and moved her across the floor with such swiftness and elegance that only a true prince could have. She could feel how the whole room was looking at them, the envious stares from the ladies and the astonishment from the dukes and lords. This was her night and she was sharing it with the man of her dreams.

 

“Would you look at that, she’s dancing again”, Holm said to Daniel and nodded towards Abigail who was standing in the corner of the main hall. She was rocking back and forth and humming to herself with a smile on her face.

“Let her be, Mark. She’s happy.”

“No doubt, you think she’s dancing with Prince Charming again?” Mark said with a grin on his face “or maybe she’s dumped him for one of those Arab sheiks. I hear they have bathtubs in solid gold.”

“Give it a rest. There’s nothing wrong with being happy.”

“Nah, your right. It’s just pathetic and sad.”

Daniel didn’t answer; he knew Mark was new and that he had been forced to take this job after pressure from his father, Henry Holm, who owned half of Candleridge. Henry Holm was everything Mark wasn’t; he was ambitious, smart and good looking even though he was close to fifty. It couldn’t be easy to follow in his footsteps.

“I’m gonna make a few rounds. Will check with Fredric on forth and see if he needs anything. I’ve heard that the new patient on his floor can be troublesome at times.” Daniel said and left the office.

As he passed Abigail on his way to the stairs leading to the forth floor he heard her humming, and he smiled. She was a pretty girl and if she wasn’t mentally ill he was certain that men would have been lining up for a chance to take her to a ball. She seemed very happy though, maybe she had found the love of her life already. For what did it matter if she was the only one who could see him? To her, he was real.

 

As the music stopped they looked at each other and smiled.

“Thank you for the dance”, the Prince said in his warm and heart aching voice. “What is your name?”

Before she had a chance to answer the whole room started applauding. The Prince turned to the crowd and bowed his head. She followed his example and curtsied.

“A most splendid demonstration, my Prince”, Magistrate Sallon said as he approached, still clapping his hands. His large belly was jogging up and down as he made his way on the ball room floor.

“You give me too much honour, Magistrate Sallon”, the Prince said and smiled. “Besides, I’m not the one who should have praise”, he said and turned towards Abigail. “What is your name my lady?”

“Abigail”, she answered modestly.

All of a sudden the door to the ball room was swung open and in marched a dozen soldiers with drawn swords. They wore Sir Bertrand’s crest of the hauling red wolf, a rival who claimed that he was the rightful heir to the throne.

“Seize him!” One of the larger soldiers barked as shouts began to sound in the hall and people started running for the exits.

The Prince didn’t run, he stood his ground and watched the soldiers approach without any sign of fear.

Magistrate Sallon drew a small dagger and positioned himself in front of the Prince, but after a few quick words from the Prince he sheathed his dagger back into its adorned scabbard and glanced back at Abigail and then back again. The Prince nodded.

“Come with me, my Lady, we need to get you out of here.” He grabbed her arm and began to pull her away.

At first she resisted, wanting to stay with the Prince but then he gave her a warm reassuring smile. “Will you dance with me tomorrow, Abigail?”

“I will”, she answered and let the Magistrate Sallon lead her away.

 

“Time for you medication”, Mark said and grabbed her arm. For a moment she seemed to resist, but then she gave way and had him lead her to her cell. He seated her on her bed and rolled up her sleeve. As he picked up the injection needle he looked into her eyes and halted himself. She had tears in her eyes and she looked more human, more sane than he’d ever thought any of them could be.

“I’m trying to help you, can’t you see that?”

She didn’t answer, she didn’t need to. A tear rolled down her cheek and landed on the mattress. “Don’t you want to get well? Do you want to dance with you imaginative Prince for all your life?” He sighed and put the injection needle back in the small tin box.

“Maybe some sleep with regular healthy dreams will do you good”, he said and helped her to lie down on her bed. He turned off the lights to her room and ventured out in the corridor again. As he reached the office door he met Daniel, who was back after his short round.

“She’s sleeping.” He said as their eyes met.

Daniel smiled, “good, she needs rest if she’s to dance tomorrow.”

© 2008 David Darabian


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, I really liked this. All the other submissions to the contest seemed so dark and off course. This is a bittersweet way of bringing Cinderella to life. Good job!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


This was just a wonderful read, I was moved by the way Daniel seemed to understand the world that Abigail lived inside of her mind. As well he was disappointed by the reactions of Mark. Abigail, seeing the staff as guards keeping her from her prince. You just wanted them to leave her alone and let her finish the evening with the prince. Wonderful write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

256 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 8, 2008
Last Updated on September 28, 2008

Author

David Darabian
David Darabian

Stockholm, Sweden



About
My name is David Darabian. I'm born and raised in a town called Lund in Sweden and I like most of you guys here I strive to keep creative. I hope you like what I've written, I had fun doing it. .. more..

Writing
B0661 B0661

A Story by David Darabian


Visit Visit

A Story by David Darabian