The Wall Between Us

The Wall Between Us

A Story by Elizabeth

Cassie was not allowed to love.
She knew that very well. After all he was heir to the fortune of the Ainsworth family and she was just a lowly librarian.Their meeting was pure chance. There were too different in their social standing and the world did its best to remind them that. The wall between them was too high to be crossed.
Cassie knew all of that. Yet it couldn't stop her for falling head over heels for him. In her defense, it's not like he made it very easy for her. He would leave little notes in all of her favourite books,would often cast her soft glances when he thought she wasn't looking, made sure to read all the books she recommended no matter how busy his day was. He would always stay firm to his opinion which often made Cassie change her perspective of the world. He would make her laugh till her abdomen hurts and Cassie loved how he could do that. She loved him. 
But that didn't matter because she didn't have the courage to cross the wall between them.
Maybe it is time to change that. After all she found the courage to love him. Maybe that love would bring her courage to stand by his side proudly without feeling everyone's judging eyes on her.
Just maybe.
*

Jordan didn't mean to fall in love.
He had a very clear goal in his mind, which included proving his worth as an heir of the Ainsworth family, expanding his dad's business and creating a name for himself and not just bask in the glory of his family's fame.
What it didn't include was frequent visits to the library,reading Russian literature just because Cassie loved it,spending all of his free time with her and watch her come out of her shell.
Cassie was a generally a quiet person,but whenever she started talking,you can't help but listen to her.
Jordan could listen to her talk for hours; if only he had the luxury of time.
But he didn't 
After all he was heir to all the pressure the world put on him, solely for being the firstborn.
He often didn't mind the pressure;in fact he quiet enjoyed it. But now he found something he enjoyed even more. And if that could happen,surely anything is possible.
Maybe he could find enough time to handle his work and hang out with Cassie without doing injustice to either of them. Because right now he couldn't imagine his life without Cassie. Maybe it's time to live for himself rather than living for everybody's expectations.
Just maybe.

© 2018 Elizabeth


Author's Note

Elizabeth
Romance is not really my thing...i just wanted to try and write a half decent romantic story. I would love to hear your views on this

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm not a fan of romance writing, but this is so natural & authentic, I was drawn into your vignette full bore. Maybe it's becuz you didn't try to get all flouncy with the imagery, but sticking to the storyline that's got built-in bittersweet hope. Love being able to see two sides, both well coordinated & not unduly crafted to make it fit. Just a natural fit. This is believable & sometimes romance writing is not for me (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 4 Years Ago


Elizabeth

4 Years Ago

Thank you for sharing your views :))
Hey DarkMist.

Romance has many facets, and you tried to show its smothering nature. Maybe smothering is not the exact term to be applied here, but the effect on the people involved in a romance like the one in this story is very much like smothering. Anyway, about the story.....it has some promise. It could be a lot better, but there's definitely something pure and elegant about it. I find it a bit too humble, but your method appealed to me.

The language in the story is a bit haphazard. I say haphazard because there is tense confusion in a few places and there are a few typos. Typos seem embarassing but they're not. It's easy to get something wrong on a keyboard. What's important is to read the first draft carefully at least a couple of times with some interval between the two iterations, or give the story to someone else to read before posting it anywhere. Editing is a never ending process, so it's quite alright.
Maybe rephrase a few sentences to give the story a more polished and better finishing. It certainly deserves it. :)

One thing I found issue with is that you wrote Cassie was courageous to love Jordan. What I gather from this story, and what I think about the nature of love, is that people don't love others because they are courageous. It's something they realize AFTER it has happened. The courage only lies in accepting it to yourself and in front of others.

If you can elaborate a bit more on the two characters....background, personality, appearance, anything.....that would make the story more visual, if you know what I mean. :D

Posted 5 Years Ago


Elizabeth

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much taking time to write a detailed review... I really appreciate it:)... I'll definit.. read more
Agyani

5 Years Ago

Don't mention it. :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

226 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 25, 2018
Last Updated on August 27, 2018

Author

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

India



About
just someone trying to write what I feel more..

Writing