Smile like you mean it.

Smile like you mean it.

A Chapter by Reaper

“Hello Oracle.” Derek bows and motions for Alice to do the same. Alice bows.

“What have you come for Mr. Castle?” The oracle has a hoarse voice. She sits there in purple robes, waiting for his answer.

“I need protection for Alice and my daughter Eve.”

“Only those two?”

Alice looks at Derek, Derek speaks, “Yes. The armies of the Zombie Queen or the armies of Demons will be here soon, they want me and won’t stop till I’m there’s.”

Alice walks up to Derek, “You can’t leave me here alone.” Alice says shocked on what she’s been hearing.

Derek turns to her, “Please can you take care of Eve?” He pulls Eve from the wrap and kiss her forehead. Then he hands her back to Alice.

Derek turns to the Oracle. “Deal?”

“Well I do owe you a lot. So we have a deal.”

Derek turns to Alice, “Take care.” He hands her a journal and his lighter. “Give these to Eve when she’s fourteen.”

Alice leans in and kisses Derek. She didn’t know why she did, but it felt right in her heart. Once she pulls her lips away, her heart goes back to the regular beat.

Derek leaves the room, Alice and the Oracle follows. He walks up the stairs and goes to the front door. He grabs a sword from the rack by the door. He straps it to his back and he pulls out his gun.

Alice stops him as he goes out.

“I will save you one day.”

Derek turns to her, “But not today.”

Derek opens the door and walks out. Waiting there is a gang of creatures. The door smashes shut and Alice listens to the hail of gun fire.

Then a deadly silent hits the air. It’s finally broken up by the crying of the ball of life now in Alice’s hands.

The Oracle walks up to Alice and motions for her to follow. Alice follows her up the stairs of the tower. There lies an empty room.

“This will be your room. There is food in the next room, it is all yours. And most importantly, you are to not bug me in the basement unless it’s an emergency.”

Alice silently walks to the bed and places Eve on it. Then Alice crashes to the bed with tears in her eyes.

For the next few days, Alice just lays there, only moving to make sure Eve is okay. She is in deep thought but of nothing really that she can focus on.

After a few more days, Alice starts to eat more and then remembers the journal Derek gave her. She opens it, not many papers are used but she starts from page one.

Page one

Date: January 14, 2013

It’s been two week since the zombie infection hit the world. Most of the city Maddy and I lived at are now dead or infected. We escaped and now are safe in a small town. I fear that Maddy is getting too stressed out.

She is too far along in her pregnancy to be running and fighting for her life. We need to find somewhere to hide.

 

Date: January 31. 2013

My baby is born. A stunning baby girl that Maddy and I have given the name of Eve. She is my beautiful gem. Maddy and I have been hiding out in this old clinical hospital, waiting for someone or something to come and save us.

When I say something, I mean some creature. I have heard stories of these creatures kind of like angels who save the sinless people of this world. I know it won’t save me, but maybe it will save Eve.

 

Date: March 31. 2013

It’s been a long time since I have written in this. We have been running for our lives. We made it to this small town with this group of people that found us.

We have been running non stop since the floods of zombie have been coming. These ones are different. They are stronger. They are smarter. They are close to finding us.

At least we have numbers now. I have joined this group ranks. You get higher ranks the more creatures you kill. We soldiers are called Gravediggers. We are called this because we re dig the graves of these unholy beasts. But it seems like we should be called this because we end up having to dig the graves of our fellow humans.

Alice puts down the journal and relaxes. Tears fill her eyes as she realizes she is in love with Derek.



© 2012 Reaper


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, I've picked up from the middle of the story and already I'm creating the ambience of what, who, and how pretty easily. There isn't much details and the pace seems to flow a bit stiffly, but at the same time, there isn't that mellow-dramatic spotlight focus on emotions, all of which allows more room for imagination. I have been introduced to three characters I care about. I wonder what will happen. The journal filled out the gap between this and the past chapters some readers hadn't read. Good work. Keep it up.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Who wouldn't be in love with a strong hero type god. Loving the story. You are my new flavor of the week. Moving on.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like how you used the letters the tell more of the past and Derek's life. I must admit, I didn't actually expect the last line, though you did nicely lead up to it. It was a nice surprise.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Sadface, this is a really good chapter. I knew alice was gonna fall in love with derek! I saw it from the beginning :D

can't wait to read more!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really like this chapter. I think it's hard to have a gripping story line and still maintain emotional suspense, but you have managed it beautifully here. We care as much about Alice and Derek finding their way as we do fighting the zombies.

Well done!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like this pairing together. Alice has to be strong...Derek is really the tender of the two. (hiding in a warrior's body) The Oracle though she seems to be a tad fishy... like you're waiting for the right time in the story to have her mess with Eve. I only say this because..the Oracle consented after hesitating and telling Derek that they did own him a great deal (that reaks of bad and twisted undertones within that acceptance) Plus Alice is in love with Derek...what wouldn't she do for his baby and to keep him by her side...believe even and Oracle??? So love this story :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Alice is back!
I like the journal insight of Derek’s life. There’s so much mystery you have surrounding this great character. (A reader’s plea) Don’t kill him off…yet. He could really get Alice’s heart a beating. Sorry, it’s the romantic in me.
I would like to see a brief description of the Oracle. Is she the creepy, hunched over, long claw nails, crow of a woman? I love details.
You have such a great story rolling and I can’t wait until the next chapter.

Posted 12 Years Ago


good chapter maybe run through spell check and thats all ive got to say ... good read :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


i really like it ^_^

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nice chapter, there were a few (maybe just one) spelling mistakes.. But nothing too serious, (so I'll leave it..)... It's sorta sad that Derek leaves Alice and Eve.. (Does he die...?)... I can't wait to read more :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

907 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on February 21, 2012
Last Updated on February 21, 2012


Author

Reaper
Reaper

In Wonderland with Alice, AR



About
I may not write as much but any void I need to fill is full with love of my wonderful wife. more..

Writing
notes notes

A Story by Reaper


Arcally Arcally

A Poem by Reaper


Resurrection Resurrection

A Poem by Reaper



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..