Alice in Horror Land

Alice in Horror Land

A Story by Darkimmortal
"

So as you may be able to tell from the title this is a horror rewrite of Alice in Wonderland. A short but awesome read!

"

A chilled wind swept across the trees making them shiver, their leaves shaking with unseen terror. The moon hung in the sky, glowing red like a drop of blood on a black marble floor. Thick clouds dotted the sky refusing to move as the wind pushed at them roughly. Under the red moon rested a huge tree that stood alone from the others.  Its twisted branches reached forlornly for the sky hooked into barbed fingers. Roots gnarled and rotted clawed into the ground desperately, forking the dirt mercilessly out of their way. A deep black hole, blacker than the heart of any thief, loomed at the base of the tree exposing a gaping wide wound of an “O” in the base of the trunk.

 

A rumble emitted from the tree and the branches shuddered, creaking with protest as the tree started to move. Twigs snapped and screamed as they died before a small girl tumbled head over heels and onto the ground with a loud thump. Crows, startled by the movement flung themselves into the air and beat it with their wings shrouding the moon with their black bodies.

 

The little girl stirred and looked up, wiping tears and accumulated grime from her face. Her eyes flicked from tree to tree as something shrieked in the depths of the forest. She turned and squealed as a pair of red eyes darted through the trees towards her before disappearing. She threw her hands over her face to protect herself after the spectre had gone. The girl pulled herself to her feet and brushed off her pale blue dress, now streaked with mud and grime. Her fine strands of yellow hair were now matted and caked with dirt and her blue eyes welled with tears.

 

A branch snapped behind her and she turned on her heel to see that the tree she had tumbled out of was still moving. Thousands of years of wood creaked and snapped as the branches of the tree shifted back to reveal a clear area of bark. Cracks extended over the surface of the wood before a large split snapped through the trunk of the tree. The black maw opened and expanded, lining itself with razor sharp studs of wood. The wound in the tree snapped open and closed before it lunged forwards branches extended to snap her up.

 

The girl screamed and leapt out of the way as the huge looming mouth closed with a mighty slam. The tree moved again but the little girl didn’t wait for it to attack her a second time and raced into the clutching darkness of the looming trees. Branches latched onto her and refused to let go but she tore free ripping large gashes in the fabric of her dress. The trees lurched around her, shrieking like banshees and the girl could barely see. She was crying so hard in panic her vision blurred in front of her, barring her way with the blackened trees. The world melded around her harshly before she stumbled into a clearing. 

 

“Hello there,” said a voice as chilling and soft as a whisper.

 

The girl turned to see a large table and sitting at the end of it was a man. The table was lined with rotten and decrepit food, lined with mold and reeking of decay. The food was housed on splintered tableware accompanied by cups filled with slops of chunky green bile. The smell of the rotting food hit the little girl full on in the face, threatening to knock her off of her feet and forcing her to press her hand to her face.

 

The man sat at the other end of the table. His neck hung dangerously off to one side and his head was dotted with matted tufts of red hair. His face was painted as white as death and his lips were rimmed with red. Whether it was makeup of something else the little girl didn’t know. On top of his head was an oversized top hat, fixed to his scalp with large needles threaded through his skin. When she didn’t approach him he rose slowly out of his chair with jerky and inhuman movements, almost as if he were a puppet. He flashed her a lopsided grin dominated by yellowed spikey teeth. He pulled the hat off of his head with the sickening sound of ripping flesh before he dropped from the waist in a jerky bow. He put the hat back on his head stemming the blood blossoming from his skull and winding down the white makeup on his face.

 

“What would your name be little girl?” He asked leaning in close to her and taking in a deep hiccupped breath.

 

“Alice,” she whimpered shying away from him like a scolded puppy.

 

“Well Alice, I am glad you are here. You are just in time.”

 

“In time for what?” Alice’s voice rose and fell, lilting with her fear.

 

“Well, tea of course. I am the Mad Hatter, a little more mad than hat as you can see. But no matter, would you like something to eat?” He asked motioning to the table and making Alice gag.

 

Something in the bushes rustled before a large rabbit tumbled out into the clearing. The hatter turned, more of a twist but a turn nonetheless, to eye the intruder.  The rabbit hopped once and sniffed the ground warily before it scratched its ear. The Mad Hatter started to twitch with rage as the rabbit took a tentative hop towards the table. There was nothing remarkable about the animal, but it seemed to be enraging the hatter.

 

“How dare you enter here?!” The Hatter bellowed. With one lightning fast movement he pulled a large needle from atop his head and flung it at the rabbit. The poor animal could do nothing but squeal as the needle plunged through its chest and into the ground pinning it in place. The Hatter leapt on top of it pulling it off of the ground and pulling pieces of bloodied white fur off in his teeth. It screamed like a child and thrashed about in his hands as he ripped it to pieces, smearing his face and hands with blood and gore.

 

The next thing she knew Alice had plunged back into the forest darting this way and that as the trees loomed in front of her. They reached for her and one of them caught her ankle pulling sideways with a savage twist and yanking her to the ground. Screaming and sobbing with fear she rolled onto her back and clawed at the root holding her there before a low rumble ripped harshly though the forest around her.

 

The little girl continued to sob and struggle as a shadow flitted around the clearing, circling her like she were its prey. A pair of watery yellow eyes materialized out of the darkness in front of her. The eyes caught her gaze and held it as the rest of the body formed around them. First came the teeth, the huge bloodstained fanged teeth, arranged into a demonic smile. A snub nose appeared morphing into an elongated snout dripping gore. A thick muscled neck followed by a broad chest misted out of the darkness. A body and four thick legs were the next to appear capped with hooked black claws raking into the dirt beneath them. The last thing to appear was a barbed tail flicking back and forth with annoyance. The thing was covered with patches of deep green and purple fur dotted with mats and blood. The patches of skin that were left uncovered were scabbed and rotted flesh, dripping with black festering skin.

 

The thing snarled again, but didn’t move.

 

“Allllicccceeeeee.” It hissed, its yellow eyes never moving from hers.

 

“What do you want from me?!” Alice screamed at it backing as far away as she could. The roots that was wrapped painfully around her small ankle held her viciously in place. “I want to go home!”

 

“Thisssssss  placceeeeee, “The thing said never moving a single muscle “Isss the placcceeeeee of your worssssttt nightmaressssss.”

 

“I want to go home,” Alice sobbed hugging her knees. “I want to go home.”

 

“Impossssible. Onceeee you arrrive, you never returrrrrn to whencccce you cammmme.” The thing whispered.

 

“What are you?” Alice asked wiping her eyes.

 

“Chessssshhhhire.” It rasped.

 

“Are you going to kill me?”

 

The watery eyes flicked the tiniest fraction as a glob of drool hung from the bottom of its jaw. “Yessssssssssssss.” Then as fast as lightning it leapt for her throat.

 

The hatter tipped up his head with a sharp snap as he heard the slightest of noises, carried to him by the harsh wind. A smile crept across his crimson soaked face and his fingers twitched and released, letting the mound of twisted flesh and fur fall from between them. Making his way slowly over to the table he grabbed one of the teacups and held it up in the air in front of him, toasting the forest to its success. Then he tipped the contents up into his mouth, before settling down into his chair and smashing the teacup against the table. The loud crack of breaking china filled his ears and he leaned back in the chair, fixing his hat absently as he waited. A harsh giggle escaped his lips and when he failed to stifle it, it grew into a great bellowing laugh.

 

The hatter raised his hands into the air, snatching at the moon as if he were about to pluck it from the sky. When the laugh drowned in his throat he lowered his hands and rested them on the table, tapping absently on the warped metal of a spoon as he waited. He watched as the trees snickered impatiently, waiting for their next victim. Their branches flicked in the air, tasting it for the meal to come and the hatter grinned, letting the smile twist his blood soaked cheeks.

 

Soon, another would come to be delivered to them to be consumed by the forest. Soon, another girl would be wandering through the trees before becoming lost to the horrors of the eternal night.

 

Soon, it would be his turn to consume them.

 

The hatter slid one of the long white needles out of his hat before twirling it slowly in his fingers. He started to hum a fractured tune, whispering it to the wind to carry it away. The wind grabbed the blunted notes and spun them into the air, well over the twisted trees and back to the large knotted beast in the middle of the forest. The tree was motionless for a second, before it started to twist, screaming with the fury of thousands of wretched years. The search for a new Alice had begun, and it was only a matter of time before she would tumble out and into the dark.

 

The Hatter grinned.

 

Someone was finally coming for tea.

© 2014 Darkimmortal


Author's Note

Darkimmortal
What did you all think?? I really love to hear back from people that read my work.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

it might not be to the taste of some here but I enjoyed this twisted tale. turning an innocent fairy tale into a horror story is no small feat, to my mind. descriptions were beautifully done. this was not aStephen King style. It rather reminded me of Dean Koontz (of whom I'm a huge fan).
I enjoyed the read. thanks for sharing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Darkimmortal

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much! I will be sure to look into Dean Koontz, as to my shame I have never heard of tha.. read more
Kind of reminded me of the Grimm Fairy tales! Brilliant read

Posted 10 Years Ago


Darkimmortal

10 Years Ago

Thank you!!! I prefer the Grimm versions of the fairy tales over the ones they have today. Kids thes.. read more
SonOfPlunder

10 Years Ago

Hah, very true! I loved reading the Grimm fairy tales when i was growing up. And the show called 'Gr.. read more
Gotta love a Grimm Tale! Wicked piece of writing, really enjoyed :) x

Posted 10 Years Ago


Darkimmortal

10 Years Ago

Thank you!!! :) It is always good to hear that my writing is appreciated.
Haha oh man this was great. This is how the original should have been like...nice job man!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Darkimmortal

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much! :) I am glad that you enjoyed it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

538 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 28, 2014
Last Updated on April 29, 2014

Author

Darkimmortal
Darkimmortal

Canada



About
Hello everyone! My name is Darkimmortal, as you may already know. I have been writing for a long time now and I especially like to write scary stories that are full of gore, so if you are faint heart.. more..

Writing