I Cannot Sleep

I Cannot Sleep

A Poem by Darksummerswind

I cannot sleep
My mind races
The shadows dance
The covers offer no protection.

I count the mocking sheep
one sheep    two sheep  three sheep 
foursheepfivesheepsixsheep
the counting grows faster and faster
the gears in my head won't stop turning!

When will the light come
and end this nightmare?
I cannot sleep
I cannot sleep

© 2015 Darksummerswind


Author's Note

Darksummerswind
Please give feedback!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Don't you hate it when you are laying in bed, trying to fall asleep wishing you could flick your mind off for a few hours rest? Thinking it's only been 10 min and you roll over to look at your clock, only to find it's been 2 hours? totally related to this piece.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I really hate nightmares. Still, I love dreams. They are amazing. Lots of emotions are expressed in dreams. I think that that is one of the things that makes dreams so beautiful. This poem did a great job at describing a nightmare.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
_
i have never experienced that. i sleep like a fat cat that just ate at a banquet :3 this sounds scary of the mind hehe cool 8)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I love thisssss. It's just, great! The sheep part was awesome because I could feel you getting more and more worried and stressed. The last two lines sounded defeated and it ended very...completely? I don't know the word, but it was just fantastic. It also reminds me of my best friend because she can't sleep a lot, but yeah, totally unrelated:b It is a great poem!
(:

Posted 12 Years Ago


Last Monday I could totally have related to this, especially since I tried to go to bed at 11 P.M. and didn't fall asleep until 3 in the morning. And it was all because I kept thinking about my unfinished homework and when it's due and all that stress. Then I actually tried counting sheep, which only pissed me off. I cried and cried, and then my eyes grew heavy. I finally slept out of exhaustion and woke up the next day with bags under my eyes.

...worst insomnia experience ever. ...

But anyway, I was just surprised at how I was able to relate to this poem in such a coincidentally recent experience... I cannot sleep, I cannot sleep! I even took NyQuil that night too. ....you fail me, NyQuil! YOU FAIL ME!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

409 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 23, 2011
Last Updated on October 17, 2015
Tags: Sleepless, Dark, Nightmare

Author

Darksummerswind
Darksummerswind

Eternal Limbo, PA



About
I'm a writer who delves into all genres but particularly fantasy and science fiction, with a dabble of urban fantasy here and there. more..

Writing