The Times.

The Times.

A Poem by James Darrow
"

The ways our world works.

"

 We live in a world of diversity and adversity. We live in a universe of complication and persecution. We live in a existence of stressful ignorance and painful success. We live all of these things, and we suffer many more.

 

 We live in hateful times.

 

 We live in a world where the expression that "Opinions are like a******s; everyone has one, and no one wants anyone else's" has become a staple of normal life. In America, if you belong to one political party, you are seen as a ignorant traitor by the other. In the world, you see Iran wave swords against Isreal, you see South Koreans and North Koreans placing gun barrels at each other's throat, while in the corner you see Americans shout "We are better than all of you!". Rather than unite, either on a national or global level, we prefer to wave whip-tongues about and blame others for our own faults and insecurities.

 

 We live in a universe full of varying and diverse religions, with just as many varying and diverse followers of each. Amongst a number of these, the core tenants and beliefs of each is shared, but yet the followers and believers shout "We are better than all others! Follow us, or you will burn in Hell!". In the world, wars are still raged between nations and men on the basis of religion, leaving the dirt beneath us caked red in the process while we ignore the mantra of "Do no Evil".

 

 We live in pathetic times.

 

 We live in a world that caters to the ignorant and the foolish. People file lawsuits against each other for the most pathetic of things. When the woman sues the restaurant for the coffee not being labeled 'Hot' as it spills into her lap, then wins, we cater to the ignorant and the bottom-feeders. When the banks foreclose the home of the soldier who fights overseas away from friends and family, leaving the wife and the child to the street-side, we empower the corrupt. When the masses cry out for stricter police protection, then yell out in protest when that strict protection is enforced upon us, we reveal ourselves for the hypocrites that we are.

 

 We live in an universe where the haves and have-nots wave battle standards at each other. Many amongst the haves horde their earnings for themselves, thinking nothing of their fellow man or the scores they tread over on their rise to the top. Many have-nots chant and shout about their woes, while they themselves will not strive for what they wish to achieve, that the haves should be their benefactors and their caretakers because they have the capability and motivation to succeed.

 

 We live in undeserving times.

 

 We live in a world where those that spend their life savings and pour their hearts and souls into their craft fail to make a dime to their name, while those with minimalistic amounts of talent and willpower steal the stage. This is a time where a man can spend his whole life trying to become a successful actor, only to wake up one day and realize that he is fifty years old and his life has past him by. In his place, we nominate the next buxom bombshell and have her play the scenes to 'My Humps' by the Black-Eyed Peas.

 

 We live in a universe with people that think so little of themselves that we look to celebrities as hopeful beacons, and choose the wrong idols to follow. Rather than look at civil movement leader as a beacon and enlightenment, we nominate Paris Hilton as our role-model. Rather than even look to other celebrities who strive for success, not just on the screen but for their own lives, we choose Lady Gaga as our next 'Freak of the Week'.

 

These are our times. We are those who can make the difference in the world we live, but we do not raise a finger, for we are blinded by hatred, halted by the pathetic, and left admiring the undeserving.

© 2011 James Darrow


Author's Note

James Darrow
Something I made awhile ago, just remembered it and dug it up.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You said it in a "nutshell." Where are we going with this thing? You and I decide. We, even, decide our government. We can look and cry and whine or we can "be" someone ourselves. I am glad that you drug this piece out of your archives, because it is true and powerfillled. If we aren't part of the cure, we are part of the problem. We have to work together to create a new world. Government and law may be wonderful, but it takes us to make peace work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You said it in a "nutshell." Where are we going with this thing? You and I decide. We, even, decide our government. We can look and cry and whine or we can "be" someone ourselves. I am glad that you drug this piece out of your archives, because it is true and powerfillled. If we aren't part of the cure, we are part of the problem. We have to work together to create a new world. Government and law may be wonderful, but it takes us to make peace work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very true and magnificent piece of writing. The world and we, the inhabitans, can be very pathetic at times. But we can also be kind hearted and warm. One just has to see through all the hate. Well written, I loved it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you managed to write a piece that is both political and graceful--a hard feat. leave it to a soldier

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 27, 2011
Last Updated on August 9, 2011

Author

James Darrow
James Darrow

Federal Way, WA



About
I'm a 21 year old guy living in Washington state who has a fancy for writing. Why? Well, I'm told I have an artistic mind and writing has been my most cathartic method of expression. Before writing,.. more..

Writing
Tempest Tempest

A Poem by James Darrow